“Outstanding service from hotel staff”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #10 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Kristiansand, Norway
“Outstanding service from hotel staff”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We checked in to this hotel as an emergency solution due to poor quality from another hotel.

I can in full honesty say that Palomar was a revalation. Literally going from hell and entering heaven.

I would like to specifically point out a staff member and his manager. Both Aaron and Bobby went to great lenghts in order to help us.

Aaron checked us in at the last remaining single bed room, and said we'd get a rollaway bed. It wasn't until a little while after check-in that housekeeping informed him that the last rollaway had been used. After appologizing, he started looking for solutions, and soon after got his manager involved.

Now Bobby was on the case, and he called the next door hotel to ask for a rollaway bed, as well as other hotels. Due to rain, transporting one turned out to be difficult, however at this point someone had cancelled a bigger suite. We got upgraded to that for free, since it had a couch for our last party member. They continued to try and get hold of a rollaway bed, but in the end we had to make use of the couch.

After all this we were beginning to run a bit late. We had planned for dinner and a magic show, so to help us out with dinner reservations, Bobby got us a table at the hotels restaurant (Sable).

As a last act of kindness, they gave us complimentary wifi, as we told them about some other issues we had hoped to resolve before days end.

At some point they told us "We want to put a stop to the bad times, and bring on the good ones", which they certainly managed.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank enurweb
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear enurweb,

Thank you for your wonderful review, thank you for your patience, and thank you for your understanding with our attempts to locate this rollaway bed for you! Recognizing both Bobby and Aaron was very gracious of you, as I know they both worked hard to try to resolve everything here. I cannot thank you enough for your flexibility and I am happy to know that you were so well taken care of by our team - and that you ultimately enjoyed your visit. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back for a future visit, and until then, enjoy the Summer season.

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We recently spent one night in Chicago to celebrate our 6th year old's birthday. We travelled with our three kids (3, 6, & 7) so we wanted a children friendly environment. I booked our stay at the Palomar based on online reviews. We've stayed at the Sofitel & The Public and really liked both, , but wanted something different this time.

When we booked online, we requested a goldfish & robes for the kids. Upon our check-in, the front desk attendant immediately recognized our daughter by name and wished her a happy birthday. They were very welcoming and presented us with a Kimpton Rewards coupon for $10 off mini-bar items (another plus). She told me we should find the fish (just a pet while we stay there…not take home) & robes in our room. Unfortunately, when we got into our room, they were not there. I placed a call to the front desk and after we came home from our day on the town, they were in the room. The kids were thrilled! They also left a card and box of chocolates for Olivia's Birthday. She was surprised and very excited.

We stayed in a two queen room. The room was averagely sized and the beds were very comfortable. The sheets were very soft and there were ample pillows. The decor was clean and contemporary. Our view was so-so. We were on the 11th floor and basically looked at HVAC units on the top of other buildings. The bath, while very small, was nicely appointed and worked.
My only complaint was the make-up mirror was broken and wouldn't stand upright allowing you to use it. The bathroom products were nice. They did not do a turn-down service, which was kind of a bummer as it's a nice touch.

The hotel has an indoor pool that has great hours (6 a.m. - 10 p.m.). There is also a roof-top terrace on the 17th floor with great views of the city. We didn't get to use the fitness room while we were there, but did take a look inside and it was busy. The perk with the Palomar is the 5-6 p.m. complimentary wine/happy hour. They offered a red & white wine and cocktail. The kids got a lemonade and everyone was happy. They had flat bread pizzas, but unfortunately, we didn't get a piece. Most were situated on the tables around the seating (which was really full).

We would definitely visit again. The experience was great, the staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean. If you are traveling alone or with kids, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kctodd
Dear kctodd,

We appreciate your review and detailed comments of your recent visit. Sounds like your 6 year old had a great birthday celebration - and one that the whole family enjoyed as well! Great to hear that everyone enjoyed our fun perks like the pet goldfish, animal robes, and our evening wine reception. So sorry that your make-up mirror had been loose. I do thank you for letting us know so that we were able to fix it quickly. Please do join us again for another birthday celebration or just a nice getaway in the near future.

Kind regards,

Denver
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I arrived very late one night at the hotel, and like many popular hotels, was overbooked. I was rebooked at another hotel down the street for one night at the Palomar's expense. When I returned the next night, the hotel left me a wonderful plate of goodies, a bottle of wine, and a beautiful room. I thought they handled the situation wonderfully, very professionally. This is a great place. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear DPDenver,

I thank you very much for taking the time to share your review. I am so sorry that we had to relocate you to another hotel for your first night with us, but your understanding and kind comments here are greatly appreciated. I am happy to hear that our recovery from this situation upon your return the next day was well-received! We certainly hope to see you again with us very soon here in Chicago, and I thank you again for your business.

Have a wonderful Summer season,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Hotel Palomar was incredible for our wedding! Everything was perfect and we have no complaints! The venue is wonderful and has a nice city feel to it with all of the windows in the ballroom – the balcony is a great feature as well. Our out of town guests loved the location since it made easy for them to explore the city and we loved the options nearby to host other events like brunches and the rehearsal dinner. The guest rooms were great as well. Since it is a smaller hotel, it was easy and fun to run into our family and friends throughout the weekend.
Alyssa (the catering manager for the hotel) is amazing to work with - she was so on top of all of the details during the planning of the event all the way through the day-of execution. She was able to customize everything to fit our priorities and we felt like it was a very personalized event. The rest of the staff was amazing as well. Everyone from the front desk to valet drivers to the waiters and bartenders was so kind and helpful to all of our guests. We also enjoyed that we were the only event for the day since the hotel only has 1 large ballroom– it allowed all of the staff to really focus on our wedding rather than being 1 of many events like some of the larger hotels.
We highly recommend Hotel Palomar to anyone - wedding or not, it's a wonderful hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Chicago4552,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share your detailed comments here about how well your wedding event weekend went here at the Palomar! Alyssa is absolutely one of the best in the business and she is so appreciative of your praise. Most importantly, we are just happy to know that this special day was a complete success for you and yours - and that you chose us to be a part. Thank you very much for your business and we wish you nothing but best wishes and happiness.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Decided to take a quick weekend trip to Chicago and scored a great deal at the Palomar, and boy it did NOT disappoint! The location is absolutely fantastic - close to so many great restaurants, bars, shopping and places to explore. When I was there, we happened to be there at the same time the Boston Red Sox were in town playing the White Sox, so we were quite surprised to run into several players in the lobby - they have great taste in places to stay! : ] The staff was phenomenal and accommodating per usual (and as I have grown to expect from Kimpton properties) and the facilities are comfortable with great views. I will definitely stay here again, and love being an InTouch Loyalty Program member!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Bootyp,

Thank you so much for your very kind comments and I'm glad to know you had a terrific visit with us back in April! Definitely sounds like you had a memorable visit and that we did not disappoint in your Kimpton loyalty. We always appreciate when our guests return and I sincerely thank you for that loyalty. We hope to see you again very soon - and enjoy the rest of your Summer.

Northern New Jersey
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Palomar for the second time and was not disappointed. It is very clean, spacious and the location is great. For me, this is a Chicago go-to for business trips. Being obsessive about hotel cleanliness, I am very comfortable with this hotel and would urge others to stay here. For this particulate trip my colleagues stayed at another hotel which was not rated well, which helped to confirm why I made the choice to stay at the Palomar.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear AM1027,

Thank you for returning to us here at the Palomar and thank you for sharing your very kind comments. We are grateful to have you as a now, return guest, and we hope to see you again the next time you are in Chicago!

Alberta
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed at the Palomar for two nights on a recent business trip to Chicago. I have wanted to stay at a Kimpton because of their high satisfaction rating and I will join those that are very happy with the experience.Great location in downtown Chicago in walking distance to the Merchandise mart. Lots of restaurants and pubs in the area for evenings out. fast friendly check-in and out. Quiet, clean and comfortable room. I am a picky guy and can say that this hotel met my standards. Near the subway station which I used to come in from the airport. I ate dinner at the Sable (reviewed separately) and it was very good.

Room Tip: I was in 1402 which was at the end of the corridor away from the elevator. very quiet.