“Great hospitality in the heart of Chicago”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #14 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I had a great stay at the Hotel Palomar. I had a city view king room. It was very spacious and clean. Very good natural light from the large window, and the temperature control was excellent. The location was perfect. Close to the Loop and all the things you want to do downtown on foot but also right next to a CTA station for going farther afield. Cabs were very easy to get. The staff was very warm and welcoming and always available to answer any questions. Wasn't crazy about the gym equipment, but that's a minor quibble. Would definitely recommend staying here.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Historical_Art_Fox
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Historical_Art_Fox,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent visit here at the Palomar. Glad to know you were comfortable and enjoyed our location, and that you were treated very well by our team. I thank you for your business and wish you safe travels always.

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Write a ReviewReviews (2,817)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

From the Valet, to early check in, help at front desk with entertainment suggestions, this was a great deal. I have stayed in many different hotels downtown Chicago and this was one of the nicest.
Rooms were clean, decorated nice. Their "Happy Hour" was very generous.
Location is a short walk from any shopping, eating or drinking, and a bit farther from navy Pier, but on a nice day, it's a great walk. On my next trip in, this will be the first hotel I contact.

Room Tip: We were in room 1617. Very quiet, clean, no issues.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ed G

Dear Ed G,

We greatly appreciate your very kind review. Thank you for sharing your comments and I am pleased to know that you had a wonderful time and enjoyed our services and offerings. We do look forward to your return and I thank you for your business!

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

The big plus to this hotel is the location! Easy to walk anywhere you want to go. Plenty of great restaurants close by. The front desk staff and concierge were great! Parking the car was difficult as valet area is very small. We had to loop around a few times before there was room to pull in. Not an easy task on a busy weekend. The lobby area is small but staff kept things moving along. Rooms were smaller than I expected but clean. The beds were very comfortable. We sat out on the rooftop terrace each day while we were there. Again, small area but nice. We got a good deal on our room as Kimpton Loyalty members.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Northside

Dear Northside,

Glad to hear that you had a nice visit with us and were able to enjoy our hotel offerings. So sorry for the tight fit getting into our driveway - does get a bit busy on the weekends as you mentioned. We appreciate your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights. I can say it is in a great location, near all the shopping, sight seeing, etc. It is also very nice. The furniture and room was great, the pool, fitness room, and balcony was great. However, we did not get any sleep. The first incident happened about 3 in the afternoon on our first day. We spent about four hours shopping and walking around and came back in to relax and take a little nap. Within 10 minutes of being in our room, we started to hear the barking and the walls are so thin that it was extremely loud and annoying. It lasted about an hour. We walked down to the front desk to complain and they pretty much said there wasn't anything they could do about it, except to call the people staying in the room. About an hour later, they finally came back to their room and took there dog. We had no incidents that night. The second night we were awoken at 1 a.m with the same dog barking. I called the front desk and I didn't even need to tell them what was going on. As soon as they found out what floor I was on, the knew I was calling about the dog. It still took about 45 minutes for the people to return to their rooms. When we checked out, the hotel did take $50 off our bill, but that doesn't replace my bad experience there. I will note that I have stayed at pet friendly hotels before and never had issues, but the other hotels had specific floors for their pet friendly rooms as opposed to tell palomar whom seemed to sporadically place them where there is a room available. Had we not had this barking issue, this hotel would have gotten high ratings from us, however since we had some selfish, inconsiderate neighbors and we kept getting this "our hands are tied" speech and feel from management, they get a low rating, and I will probably be staying away from all the Kimpton hotels all together.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CPA87

Dear CPA87,

I thank you for sharing your experiences and concerns here with the Trip Advisor community. While it is great to hear that almost all aspects of your visit and thoughts on our hotel were positive, I am so sorry for the major issues you endured with the barking dog next to your room. A couple of points I would like to note: we absolutely do designate specific floors for our guest traveling with pets, rather than sporadically placing them where there are available rooms, but unfortunately, there are times, when we are at full capacity, that either guests without pets are placed on these designated pet floors, and vice versa, when we have a larger than usual number of pets in the hotel, then we do have to place them on other floors of the hotel. Regardless, though, I am very sorry that you were not able to rest due to this issue. While I am glad to know that our front desk adjusted $50 from your folio for this inconvenience, as an apology effort, I do understand that this did not erase the occurrences and make your memories any better. We will certainly use your comments and feedback here to work with our team to improve our pet monitoring procedures when in such high occupancy situations. Again, I thank you for sharing and I wish you a wonderful Summer season.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed at different hotels during our stay in Chicago. Both were downtown and I picked the Palomar hotel based on Trip Advisor Reviews and it's location. The other hotel we stayed at was for my husbands business trip and I won't mention the name of the other hotel in this review but is listed in the top 20 hotels like Palomar and I thought Palomar had far better service and accommodations. Both hotels were located downtown but Palomar is right in the center of everything and has great views. I started getting communication from Palomar right after I booked our trip and I mentioned it was my husbands birthday. They stayed in communication with me wanting to know what they could do to make our trip special. I requested a room with view, a mini fridge and gold fish for the kids. I also requested a room with double queens. They came through in all areas including room with a view in a quiet location! The work out room is at the top floor of the hotel and has all windows. They have an indoor pool on the very top floor which was one reason I choose the Palomar initially but after experiencing their customer service I am a Kimpton loyalist. Mark the concierge was super helpful and friendly as were all the other front desk staff. We loved the complimentary coffee/tea in the morning. They also had complimentary wine/lemonade/flat bread pizza in the evening every day but we kept missing it because we were so busy sightseeing. I still can't say enough about the central location and how easy it was to get around. Ton's of great places to eat right next to Palomar. It is right next to the Magnificent mile with tons of great shopping. I didn't have much to compare to until I went to other hotel 4 blocks away which lacked in the personal service and little things that make Palomar standout. The beds were very comfortable and the hotel staff went out of their way to provide exceptional service. We also ate at the Sable Restaurant downstairs and the Weber Grill Restaurant across the street.

Room Tip: Great views on top floor and corner room is quiet!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NaturalLiving37
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear NaturalLiving37,

I cannot thank you enough for such a wonderful review. It is great to know that you were well-taken care of, from the reservation process, to our concierge communication prior to your arrival, throughout your visit, and through to your departure. Thank you for noticing and appreciating our green efforts and then you for mentioning Mark. He gives his all, every day for us, and loves to know when he has helped to make special memories for our guests.

Best regards, and thank you for your business,

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We booked this as a last minute trip to the city through Priceline. I was very pleased with the location, service and cleanliness. The concierge was very friendly and consistently asked where we were headed, how it was etc.

My daughter complained of the size of the pool but to be honest, there aren't many hotels downtown with a pool. Something is better than nothing!

Valet parking was almost 60 for the night- I hate paying that but it's on par with most of the downtown hotels.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear lookin4fun71,

Thank you for sharing your comments and thoughts here on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit. We certainly appreciate the 5 star rating and I thank you for your understanding with the parking rates and our pool. Although our pool is not the largest, you certainly cannot beat the view from the 17th floor! We hope to see you again soon, and have a wonderful Summer!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We really enjoyed this hotel as I expected we would. Great location in river north. Surrounded by restaurants of all kinds. The red line train is one minute from the front door. You can walk to the cultural attractions on Michigan ave. The hotel is understated in an elegant way. Terrific doormen and valet attendants. Enjoyed the complimentary wine hour with flat breads. The deluxe king room was surprisingly roomy with floor to ceiling windows. The room and furnishings is very sleek. I especially appreciated the dimmable lights in the large cabinet containing the tv. These made perfect night lights. The bathroom was also sleek and clean as was the rest of the room. The front staff is very helpful with suggestions.....they even gave me a better route home than I was planning on taking. If you plan on eating dinner at Sable, book early, otherwise you can always eat in the bar. We used the free raid the mini bar for a late night cap. The furniture in the lobby is overdue for replacement as well as the leather desk chair in the room. The valet parking is high in keeping with the neighborhood at $58 a day. Overall a perfect place to stay in Chicago and we will most definitely stay here again. We did not even notice the street noise. If you are in river north, there are a lot of people on the street having a good time. One more thing.....we loved the red and tan carpet in the room. Would like to have it in our bedroom at home.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear archcity I,

Thank you very much for your greatly detailed review, and I am thrilled to read that you had a wonderful stay with us! Your comments and descriptions are very much appreciated. Thank you for your feedback on the condition of your desk chair and our lobby area furniture. We are aware of these concerns and are happy to report that we are replacing all of our guest room desk chairs as well as the furniture in our living room - this year. I wish you a wonderful Summer season, and safe travels to you.