“COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #12 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel in July , for 7 days. The hotel is clean , a great local, large roons, etc..However I didin't like some things taht happened. 1-the strange smeel of pillows in the roon. 2- I don' t think is a great advantage in this hotel be a PET FRIENDLY. 3-We need one more umbrella, and they didin't have. 4-We needed to confirm the shuttle to returnt to airport, and the hotel receptionst denied to do it for us, but he did ' the favor of lending' their phone, after his manager autorized. And finally,5-When you checked out, my shutlle had to wait, because as I payed cash, they were slow to give my change, my check out experience lasted 15 minutes. Concluing, despite being a good hotel my experience was not so good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Katia B
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Katia967,

Allow me to apologize for, what sounds like, a much less than satisfactory experience that you encountered here at the Palomar Chicago. I am sorry that our pet-friendly atmosphere was not to your liking. This is one of our most popular perks and benefits as a Kimpton hotel, but I certainly understand that this is not for everyone. I also apologize for the delay in making change for your cash payment. While we certainly try to always have enough change on hand, in our credit card dominated world, we sometimes do fall short in this area. Furthermore, I must admit that your other two critiques, regarding the smell of pillows in the room? as well as the experience you described when trying to confirm your transportation? both baffled me. I will certainly speak with our team to determine with whom you spoke and see where we may have been in error. Regardless, please feel free to contact me to discuss over the telephone if you so desire. Otherwise, I want to thank you for sharing your feedback and I am very sorry that we did not meet and exceed your expectations. We would welcome the opportunity for a return visit by you and your family, if you should so choose. I wish you safe travels.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

After 10 days on the road across the midwest with two teenagers, we decided to treat ourselves to a suite at the Palomar. It was such a pleasant surprise. From the bellman who asked my son if he wanted a child sized robe to the front desk staff, everyone was polite, helpful and more than courteous. We loved the cocktail hour and enjoyed the patio out front. It was central to everything and after a long day of sightseeing I looked forward to our evenings in our room. It was large enough that the boys had their space and my husband and I had our own space. Loved everything except the shampoo ;) Would recommend this hotel to even my most discerning friends.

Room Tip: Pick the one bedroom suite with floor to ceiling windows!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Marcia M
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear MMMI_13,

It is great to read that you chose the Palomar as a nice oasis after your long trip through the midwest! Thank you for sharing your comments here and we are very appreciative of your praise and wonderful tips. Please know that your satisfaction is very important to us and it certainly sounds like this visit was a success!

Please do come and see us again the next time you are in town!

Best,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Spent one night at Palomar Chicago. Front desk staff and manager were extremely nice. Rooms are very stylish, floor to ceiling windows offer great views, bathroom fixtures and toiletries are very upscale. Many perks for being a Kimpton Rewards member. Rooftop gym was adequate enough. Artwork throughout was really neat. Morning coffee as at all Kimpton properties is top shelf. Perfect location to walk anywhere in River North, Michigan Ave and the Loop. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mekogan

Dear mekogan,

Thank you for your kind survey and thank you for your choice to return for future visits to Chicago. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed all things Hotel Palomar Chicago and that you are a true Kimpton fan! Enjoy the rest of your Summer.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have no idea why this hotel is rated so highly. It's location is fantastic for getting around the city, but it is right around the corner from the fire department, so we had sirens going all night, all weekend!! Not relaxing. Also I paid for an upgraded "city view" and it faced west giving us a view of a half dozen barren rooftops. Again not pretty. The hotel was expensive so I assumed the rooms would be spacious but ours was small (adequate, but small). The HVAC was noisy and the toilet ran for 10 minutes every time you flushed. I would not stay here again unless I got a really great deal.

Room Tip: rooms on the northeast side would probably be quieter because you are further from the fire station.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shouse333

Dear shouse333,

So sorry to hear that you had a less than wonderful visit - and do not understand why we are rated so high amongst our peers. Please accept my apology for the issues that you experienced and know that we work tirelessly to accommodate all of our guests in the best possible manner by offering the best possible service. I do thank you for your feedback and hope that you would consider us one more time in the future.

Safe travels always,

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed the weekend of 7/25-7/27/2014 and would definitely return. It was a bit overpriced, but the location is perfect, the room I stayed in was spacious, the restaurant, Sable, was excellent, the gym was serviceable, and the complementary afternoon cocktail hour was wonderful. That they are enthusiastically pet-friendly here makes this boutique hotel even more of a gem -- if I come back to Chicago I may take my little dog along just so we'll have to stay here again.

As other reviewers mentioned, definitely join the hotel's rewards program, as it gives you free wi-fi in your room right off the bat.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Carol B,

Thank you for your praise and wonderful comments about your recent visit. We would certainly love to have you back and definitely bring your little dog along for the trip! Great recommendation on joining Kimpton Karma - is definitely a wonderful program with attractive perks, including the complimentary wifi as you mentioned!

Very best,

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We were lucky to book this room on short notice. This weekend was especially busy in the city ( Lolla '14). It was clean and spacious. We enjoyed the location as well being in the middle of the action. We don't stay downtown a lot, but the Palomar was worth it.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Amie L,

We appreciate your review and kind comments. Happy to know that you enjoyed your visit and I wish you a wonderful remainder of the Summer season.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful decor, well located, friendly staff that goes out if their way for you, reasonably priced, complimentary cocktails in the lobby every evening is fun, whatever you need they have it or will find it for you. They even put a yoga mat in our room!

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear joanne p,

Thank you for your note and recommendations of our Hotel Palomar and your recent visit! Glad to hear you enjoyed the yoga mat and that your overall stay was pleasant and memorable. We look forward to your return visit!

Best,