“Girl's weekend ”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #15 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

The Hotel is well located for a girls trip. Close to everything; shopping, dining and going out. It is a few blocks away from underground. The hotel is clean and well decorated. We had a pleasant stay. I will definitely go back there. I really like Kimpton hotels, you never go wrong.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Paola C
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Paola C,

Thank you very much for your review and your kind words about Kimpton Hotels. We do appreciate your business and I thank you for staying with us.

Best regards,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Write a ReviewReviews (2,830)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

this is my 3rd stay and a kimpton hotel and was certainly not a disappointment. for those who are not familiar with kimpton hotels, they are a hip yet extremely professional brand that caters to both business and personal travelers. their fresh approach to hotels are an exciting alternative to the "w" chain which often feels uppity and pretentious. from the moment you walk into the palomar chicago, you feel very relaxed. a gentle aroma of flowers fill the space. a very warmly lit reception desk is open and approachable. the "welcome home" greeting is a nice touch too. i got there very early in the morning and they were very quick to find my room for me. as a bonus, my reservation came with complimentary continental breakfast, which was a step above the typical fruit and toast. table service coffee, and hot / cold breakfast cereals were included as part of the offerings, along with fresh fruit, chobani yogurt, a variety of nuts and cereals as well rounded off the meal.

the room was bright, comfortable, clean and felt very homey. the bathroom was perfectly stocked. the shower pressure was perfect. the bed clean and soft. pillows had just the right amount of support yet were incredibly soft! the fitness center and indoor pool were very nice and larger than what you would expect in a inner city facility.

overall design of the vote was beautiful, as all kimpton facilities are! quirky architectural touches are around every corner. an inviting "living room" is just off the lobby, where they host their afternoon wine down and morning coffee break.

the hotel is conveniently located near the magnificent mile (about 6 blocks away) but there is plenty to do and see right in the area, including Eatily, a must see chef's market / grocery that has at least 19 eateries within it.

next time i go to chicago, i will surely stay here again. need i say more?

Room Tip: every room at this hotel has great views and great immunities! you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GaryK249

Dear Gary K,

Yours is one of the kindest and warmest reviews about our Hotel Palomar that we have ever received. I cannot thank you enough for sharing your thoughts and descriptions of your stay with us with the Trip Advisor community. We appreciate your generosity and recommendations and most importantly, we are happy to know that we have helped make a loyal Kimpton fan in you and we appreciate your choice to stay with us for your return visits to Chicago. Have a wonderful remainder of Summer and we hope to see you soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

The Hotel Palomar is a great place to stay at not too bad a price for the area. The rooms were clean, quiet, and up to date. There are some nice views of the city. It's located a short from the Magnificent Mile and plenty of great restaurants and taverns. There is a terrace on the 17th floor where you can take in the views and go for a swim on the indoor pool. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Chicago!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kscdennis
MarcoScherer, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear kscdennis -

Well, while we would love to take credit for this great review, it actually belongs to our sister property - the Hotel Palomar, Chicago. We think they're pretty great too!

Cheers,

Marco Scherer

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Wonderful location in downtown with a super staff. Hotel was in walking distance to many attractions, restaurants and stores. Easy access to train to visit Wrigley. The staff was helpful giving directions as well as suggestions for activities and restaurants. Room was spacious and clean. Loved the track door to the bathroom (especially the full length mirror). Afternoon wine hour and morning coffee were both nice perks. Highly recommend to anyone visiting Chicago.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank prendy03
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear prendy03,

Thank you for your note here on Trip Advisor regarding your recent vist. I am happy to hear that you had a terrific stay and that you were able to enjoy Chicago to its fullest. Please come back and see us again soon and until then, take care!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

A great location for a downtown Chicago visit. A little hip for our over 60 tastes- very dark walls, dark restrooms, mood lighting. Seemed to be mostly young folks there. Wedding parties and other celebrations. Room was good sized, clean, and well appointed. Very busy on a Saturday night but staff did their best to respond to everyone at the front desk.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Happytotravel63,

Thank you for sharing your comments and impressions of our hotel. I certainly appreciate your praise of our front office team, as they do work very hard to accommodate our wonderful guests here at the Palomar. I am sorry that our decor and ambiance was not to your liking. To each, his own, is definitely relevant in terms of hotel decor. For a more classical feel, I would recommend our Hotel Burnham here in Chicago, which is also a Kimpton Hotel, which is a beautifully decorated historic building named for one of Chicago's most influential and integral architects that built our wonderful city.

I wish you safe travels,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Palomar is one of my favorite boutique hotels in Chicago. Amazing helpful staff who goes above and beyond for their guests. Gorgeous rooftop pool area (and the pool is actually warm!), decent gym right beside the pool. The rooms are extremely comfortable, modern, and smell fresh :) If you're celebrating something special, they make sure to take care of you. To me, its an extra incentive to stay here on a special occasion. The happy hour in the evenings are amazing- another reason why I love this hotel!! Definitely worth it to become a rewards member on their website to enjoy extra perks like free wifi and $10 raid the bar credit. Having moved away from Chicago, its very hard to choose one amazing hotel to stay at when visiting my favorite city..... I am looking forward to my upcoming trip to Chicago at the end of this month and being able to choose Palomar again as my hotel of choice :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nsk210

Dear nsk210,

Thank you so much for this kind and satisfying review! I love hearing that you were very comfortable in our hotel from our indoor pool on our 17th floor terrace, to our nightly wine hour in our Living Room lobby. Thank you for choosing to return for your upcoming visit later this month, and I wish you safe travels, always.

Best,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel in July , for 7 days. The hotel is clean , a great local, large roons, etc..However I didin't like some things taht happened. 1-the strange smeel of pillows in the roon. 2- I don' t think is a great advantage in this hotel be a PET FRIENDLY. 3-We need one more umbrella, and they didin't have. 4-We needed to confirm the shuttle to returnt to airport, and the hotel receptionst denied to do it for us, but he did ' the favor of lending' their phone, after his manager autorized. And finally,5-When you checked out, my shutlle had to wait, because as I payed cash, they were slow to give my change, my check out experience lasted 15 minutes. Concluing, despite being a good hotel my experience was not so good.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Katia B
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Katia967,

Allow me to apologize for, what sounds like, a much less than satisfactory experience that you encountered here at the Palomar Chicago. I am sorry that our pet-friendly atmosphere was not to your liking. This is one of our most popular perks and benefits as a Kimpton hotel, but I certainly understand that this is not for everyone. I also apologize for the delay in making change for your cash payment. While we certainly try to always have enough change on hand, in our credit card dominated world, we sometimes do fall short in this area. Furthermore, I must admit that your other two critiques, regarding the smell of pillows in the room? as well as the experience you described when trying to confirm your transportation? both baffled me. I will certainly speak with our team to determine with whom you spoke and see where we may have been in error. Regardless, please feel free to contact me to discuss over the telephone if you so desire. Otherwise, I want to thank you for sharing your feedback and I am very sorry that we did not meet and exceed your expectations. We would welcome the opportunity for a return visit by you and your family, if you should so choose. I wish you safe travels.