“Great hotel, Great service, Great location”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #13 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Amherstburg, Canada
“Great hotel, Great service, Great location”
Reviewed 1 April 2010

My wife and I stayed for the weekend for our 19th anniversary and we couldn't have enjoyed ourselves more. We stayed at the Allegro last year for our 18th and were very pleased, but we will be returning next year to stay at the Palomar for our 20th. The ONLY negative thing I can say is that the construction made it very difficult to get to the hotel, but having said that, it was a minor inconvenience. The first person we encountered was Darren, at the street and he immediately made us feel welcome. Johnathan was the next door man we met and between him and Darren, we found out everything we needed to know about downtown Chicago, riding the subway and where to eat. The rooms are very nice, the view from the terrace is breathtaking at night and the location of the hotel couldn't possibly be better. Everything is within walking distance. I spoke with Andy Yoon on the phone when there were some questions with our reservation and he was extremely helpful and took care of everthing for us. Our experience with the Kimpton hotel chain has caused my wife and I to plan our weekend getaways according to the location of the nearest Kimpton hotel in whatever city we will be visiting. We drove 6 hours to Chicago and after the end of a long drive, I was energized because of the warm reception by the hotel staff. Thanks so much and see you next year!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
Suburban Illinois
Reviewed 30 March 2010

We were thrilled to stay at the hotel during its first weekend. Of course the rates were lower--getting something up and running has its bumps in the road, but once the kinks are worked out, this is going to be a great place and we would not hesitate to return. The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated. Sable, the restaurant in the hotel, has delicious drinks and unique appetizers. Activities of every kind are within walking distance. We can't wait to go back. The only negatives we experienced were that our room was not ready at check-in time, but the brew pub across the street was a great place to wait and our luggage was checked, and the key did not work to our mini-bar--something must have been wrong with the lock. Other than that, it was flawless. Parking is definitely on the expensive side at $46 per night.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank guess2
Indiana
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I was very excited to be staying in a brand new hotel, but knew that there could be problems considering that they were only open 2 days before we got there. During check in they told me that they were having problems with their elevators, but they assured us that they would have them up and running shortly. The manager took us up different elevators, the first elevator to the 6th floor and then the second elevator to the 12th floor. She was more than helpful! We put our stuff away in our hotel room, and then headed out for dinner, whcih was probably 20 minutes or so after we got there, and the elevators were up and running by then. On our way out the people at the front desk asked us if we needed any assistance or a map, so I told them where we were going and they gave us a map and directions. Everybody at the hotel was VERY HELPFUL and VERY NICE!! They offer cookie coupons for the kids to get cookies and milk for a snack, which my daughter loved. We were supposed to have a goldfish in our room when we arrived, but they didn't have any at the location yet, so 10 minutes after we arrived somebody was knocking at our door and they brought goldfish crackers for my daughter since they didn't have a goldfish available, my daughter thought that was just great. Saturday they did put a fish in our room for her while we were out. I have nothingbut good things to say about this hotel, everyone from Housekeeping to the front desk personel were great and very helpful. One of the front desk ladies even left my daughter a little card at the front desk for when we checked out letting her know that they enjoyed us staying there at the hotel and she wanted to say good-bye, but didn't think that she would be there before we left, that was very nice of her, because my daughter just thought that she was the nicest lady and she would always tell her about our day when we got back to the hotel. The only small negative I would have to say about this hotel is that the pool is pretty small, but you can get past that, and also it is only open from sun rise to sun down. GREAT HOTEL, ESPECIALLY FOR THE MONEY! WILL WITHOUT A DOUBT STAY HERE AGAIN!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank savindiana
Reviewed 27 March 2010

My wife and I are staying here as we speak (Fri and Sat night). We live in the suburbs but came to stay close to Michigan Ave to enjoy the restaurants and shops.

I knew it was risky saying here the first week this hotel opened but I could not pass up the price so I guess you get what you paid for.

As soon as I reserved 2 nights online and mentioned my wife's birthday, the hotel manager upgraded our room at no charge. Now I was really looking forward to it. My package included 2 glasses of alcohol but since we don't drink the manager assured me we would get 2 diet cokes.

Now here is where things turned unpleasant:
1. We turned on the brand new flat screen TV and no channels worked (no signal). We called downstairs and they said it's a hotel-wide issue. After a while a few channels started working and eventually all.
2. We were on the 16th floor of a 17-floor hotel. We decided to go downstairs and walk to Michigan ave.. We pushed the evelator button and waited, and waited. After close to 10 minutes I called downstairs and they told me both elevators were not functioning so we were asked to take stairs from 16th floor to 6th floor and then take elevator to first floor, which we did. I was happy we were not downstairs with our luggage trying to come up to 16th floor via the stairs.

3. Late into the night (close to midnight) the room felt cold it was set at 68 degrees. I change the tempurate up to 75 and the heating unit started to make a very (very) loud noise. I turned the heater off and the noise stopped. I tried again around 2am and then 6am but got same results. We didn't want anyone to come to out room in the middle of the night.
3. In the morning we called downstairs and they sent a very well-manned and friendly engineer to our room. He couldn't tell why the issue was happening and couldn't replicate it. But he told us if they can't fix it they will move us to a different room. We told him we will be going out (11am) and will return after 5 hours so hopefully by then they can fix issue or move us to another room. Needless to say 5 1/2 hours later we returned and waited 40 minutes for another room (20 in lobby and 20 in old room).

I am now in a new room which seems fine so far. I hope my last night here is pleasant. If I did not have the 3 issues below the hotel would be receiving 4 and 5 points on everything, but that is not the case.

• Stayed March 2010
4 Thank ChicagoTraveler2010
AmandaParsonsAGM, Assistant General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, 29 March 2010
Dear ChicagoTraveler 2010,

Greetings from the Hotel Palomar! I appreciate your review, as I personally recall speaking with you about your wife's birthday. I hope you enjoyed the upgraded room.

Thank you so much for your feedback. As a new hotel, we are grateful for your input so we can improve our services.

I apologize your experience was not flawless.
Unfortunately, our elevators were not working for approximately 30 minutes this past Friday and the HD signal for our televisions had to be adjusted. I'm sorry if this caused any inconvenience.

I hope we appropriately resolved these issues when you checked out with Joann this weekend.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I may assist you further.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Palomar Chicago!

~Amanda Parsons