“An adequate place to stay in Chicago. Not even close to the best.”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #14 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Over all it was an average place to stay. Inexplicably expensive, slow internet. Expensive parking. Every time I tried to call the concierge or the restaurant—the line was busy. I expected more for the price. On the other hand, the location was an easy walk or cab to just about anywhere. I can find a better place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2010

Dear edwo2:

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding you rerecent stay at the Palomar Chicago. I am so sorry that we did not leave as much of a lasting impression on you as with most other reviewers.

I am not sure how to respond to the comment of being "inexplicably expensive" as we charge rates that are in line with all four star hotels in downtown Chicago, based on supply and demand for that particular date. Additionally, at $46/night our parking fees are actually below the median rate for parking at downtown Chicago hotels.

I do apologize that you were not able to get through to the concierge or restaurant and about the slow internet speed. We wil certainly take that feedback to heart.

I wish you many more safe travels to Chicago whether they do or do not include this hotel. I am sorry we did not fulfill your expectations.

Nabil Moubayed
GM - Palomar Chicago

Write a ReviewReviews (2,817)

Reviewed 25 October 2010

I stayed in the Palomar for 4 nights, October. The room was large, the bed comfy, and at last, a room with alot of plug sockets!! It was clean, modern and practical. Tea and Coffee facilities in the room would have been good though.
The pool area was great, compact (you wouldn't want more than two at a time), plenty of towels and best of all were the views from pool and sundeck. Did i miss the changing room?? I couldn't find one....................
I ate one evening meal and two breakfast in Sable (restaurant) each experience was good, food, service and price.
The location was excellent, central to many Chicago attractions and as in most of the city, a feel safe area.
The evening complimentary wine tasting for guests was a nice touch and most appreciated. Coffee was served each morning in the lounge (I would have preferred a room facility).
Customer service was excellent all round. One fault (sorry), if the restaurant is going to be closed all evening for a private funtion, hotel guests should be advised.
A good choice, a good price and would definately return to Palomar!

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I stayed at the Palomar on a recent business trip to Chicago. First off, the staff was extremely helpful - from the concierge to the front desk. They had suggestions on where to eat, gave me precise directions to find places on foot (and provided a map), and stored my luggage after checkout until my meeting was done. The staff deserves a big pat on the back! The room itself was very spacious - I received a corner room, which afforded me two floor to ceiling window views of downtown Chicago. The room was spacious and impeccably clean. The tv was a large flat screen with an abundance of channels (which was much appreciated). The bathroom was standard for a high class hotel. The only thing I did not like about the room, was that the vanity was too high. I couldn't really get ready in the mirror (I'm 5'2") because of this. Luckily there was a mirror outside the bathroom door, which was great! I ordered room service and they delivered it on time, and it was a delicious breakfast. I would definitely stay at this hotel again when visiting Chicago.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2010

This is a really great boutique hotel! The room was very modern with excellent city views looking down to Lake Michigan. Try to get a corner room for 2 walls of floor to ceiling views. The bed was incredibly comfortable. The furnishings clean, new and modern. The staff were incredibly nice and helpful. They really seem to enjoy working here. The location is fabulous. Subway stop (Red line) steps away, easy walk to the Mag Mile, Wrigley building and river. An easy walk to the Loop and Navy Pier. Room service breakfast was a real treat. The staff even left me a gold fish in a bowl to liven up the room. If you're looking for a city experience with a small town feel, this is your hotel!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We had a wonderful one night stay at Palomar to celebrate our engagement! This was our first time to Hotel Palomar. I had contacted its GM Nabil regarding our King Spa room to see if we could get a corner room, and told him of the purpose for our visit to Chicago. Much to my utter surprise, we found out at check-in that he had upgraded us to the best suite in the hotel! We were thrilled and felt very special due to Palomar and Nabil's special attention. The Fugi tub is phenomenal and should not be missed, so I highly recommend booking the spa room or a suite to get the tub!! We enjoyed brunch at the restaurant, "Sable" and had the rooftop terrace all to ourselves for a champagne toast. Thank you again, Nabil! Kimpton and Palomar are very lucky to have you on board.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Boutique hotel in an excellent loction in river north close to major attractions and many restaurants. Customer service was fantastic - from the help of the concierge(s) recomending what to see, restaurants to try and courteous and timely response of all hotel workers to any issues that arose - rooms nicely decorated and comfortable- become an in touch member and receive free internet service .

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Stayed at the Palomar in September with my husband. It was our first stay in Chicago and I was delighted that I had picked such a good hotel. I have used Kimpton Hotels before. The location was perfect, the room was very comfortable, but tea and coffee making facilities would have been the 'icing on the cake'. Lots of people seem to think that the sliding bathroom door is a problem, but quite frankly I didn't have a problem with it, after all, I wasn't staying there with a stranger!

Finally all the staff were friendly and curtious.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple