“I will dream of this meal for years to come.”
Review of The Purple Pig

The Purple Pig
Ranked #27 of 10,169 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Magnificent Mile
Description: Experience the exquisite cuisine of James Beard, Rising Star Chef 2014 - Jimmy Bannos Jr. As a fourth generation restaurateur, he was mentored by his father, Jimmy Bannos (Chef/Owner of Heaven on Seven) and catapulted his expertise through training by nationally renowned chefs. Since opening in 2009, under the leadership of Jimmy Bannos Jr., The Purple Pig has received numerous accolades, including being named one of 2010’s “10 Best New Restaurants in America” by Bon Appétit magazine; and a Bib Gourmand recipient from the Michelin Guide Chicago in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014; among other honors. Dubbed the "Prince of Pork" by Dana Cowin (Food and Wine Editor and Chief); Jimmy Jr. brings his love for Mediterranean food to the Windy City in fun, inventive ways - at this rustic sharable plate restaurant, conveniently located on the Magnificent Mile. Located at 500 North Michigan Avenue, the restaurant offers cheese, swine and wine, among other standout dishes, showcasing the flavors of Italy, Greece and Spain.
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Again the service was amazing (but then we notice this across the board in the US) and the wait was only about 20 mins. I recommend going for a late lunch early dinner as it is the least busy at that time. We had the milk braised pork shoulder - so tender, beet with whipped goat cheese salad - all the tables around us were ordering this so I thought they must be on to something and were they ever right - best beets I've ever eaten. Pork steak with honey and a spicy sausage - maybe the highlight! Bone marrow smear - so very rich - maybe too rich - they should have sent plain toasted bread with it not the olive oil soaked grilled bread - it was too rich. And fried cheese with quince paste - it has since started a whole quince obsession for me!

For dessert (like we needed it!?) we shared a dessert panini with nutella, banana and marshmallow. Glorious.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,285)

Reviewed 5 November 2012

The Purple Pig is a must go for locals and Chicago visitors alike. I must say, that most of the meat items on the menu "scare" me because I would not usually eat them. That said, the service help here will steer you in the popular directions where the flavor way outways the ingredients. Anything prepared with vegetables is done in an unexpected way such a slaw done from "shaved" brussels sprouts. The meat dishes didn't sound that good to me but tasted fabulous.Tastes and textures reign supreme here. The restaurant is a bit cramped and crowded, but it makes it easy to ask your neighbors what they tried or they recommend. Outside seating happens well into november with the use of heaters and tenting. It is actually fairly comfortable as long as it is not too windy out. Service is good and efficient, I would under order here because if you want more, it is easy to add on and despite the crowd, food comes out fast. Broaden your horizons and try something new. For desert I highly recommend the banana, marshmallow fluff and Nutella Panini. You have to try it to understand it.

2  Thank FriendofPabu
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Just for fun, we checked out the top ten rated restaurants in Chicago and found this reasonably priced gem at #4 right on Mich Ave. After a 45 minute wait (so worth it in the end) our waiter gave us the rundown of how it works. SHARE the food. The menu is intimidating, but all three items we selected were outstanding. I wish we had something comparable in St Louis. Eat here if you want to live.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

I checked out the Purple Pig for late dinner twice this trip. Great reviews on Yelp and Chowhound, plus a recommendation that it was good for solo diners. In order of preference:

1. Pork shoulder and mashed potatos
2. Charred cauliflower
3. Squid and farro
4. Braised Baby Artichokes, Fingerling Potatoes,
5. Mussels w/ pancetta

Really friendly servers- Holly was very helpful with recommendations and i had a chance to meet other people at the communal tables and at the bar.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

We arrived here for our last meal in Chicago before flying out. The place was packed and wait for a table incredibly long, so we scouted out seats at the bar. We lucked out and got the two on the end by the chef and runners. They serve food family style meaning it comes out when its ready and man do they keep the dish's coming. We ordered about 8 small plates and each one was a heavenly taste. The prosciutto bread balls you just pop in your mouth one after another and if you order the meatball slider i suggest you get one for every person or else you'll be fighting over who gets the bigger piece. The farro was a delight and they had a mortadella spread that they put on this amazing bread. I wish I could have bought the spread by the pound and brought it home with me. It was rich and creamy and just amazing. The squash and ricotta bowl was this wonderful mix of sweetness that it could almost be a dessert. The have their own cured meats and if we had more time I would have ordered the entire menu of them. We loved every bite we had, it was the best meal we experienced in Chicago this visit and it's a must go to place for any foodie. Try to get the seats by the end of the bar and you'll also get to see all the workings of the cooks and runners and how much attention they pay to getting every dish just right. So with our meal we also had a great show. Loved watching the hot plate guys the best. Fennel!

Been to The Purple Pig? Share your experiences!