“Something new”

Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Magnificent Mile
Description: Experience the exquisite cuisine of James Beard, Rising Star Chef 2014 - Jimmy Bannos Jr. As a fourth generation restaurateur, he was mentored by his father, Jimmy Bannos (Chef/Owner of Heaven on Seven) and catapulted his expertise through training by nationally renowned chefs. Since opening in 2009, under the leadership of Jimmy Bannos Jr., The Purple Pig has received numerous accolades, including being named one of 2010’s “10 Best New Restaurants in America” by Bon Appétit magazine; and a Bib Gourmand recipient from the Michelin Guide Chicago in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014; among other honors. Dubbed the "Prince of Pork" by Dana Cowin (Food and Wine Editor and Chief); Jimmy Jr. brings his love for Mediterranean food to the Windy City in fun, inventive ways - at this rustic sharable plate restaurant, conveniently located on the Magnificent Mile. Located at 500 North Michigan Avenue, the restaurant offers cheese, swine and wine, among other standout dishes, showcasing the flavors of Italy, Greece and Spain.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Service was excellent, sat on patio and young gentleman was extremely competent and informative. Food was very creative, out of the box thinking that was sure to make your visit a new culinary experiance . Server also. Was very helpful with suggesting other unique spots to try while we were in town.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,040)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

The food here was fine - nothing exceptional - but very pleasant. Service - once we got down to eating, was also perfectly adequate. The restaurant decor is also very appealing. But our group of 10 didnt appreciate getting told our reservation had been given away because we were a few minutes late. We were eventually able to sit down an hour later after sharing some wine in the cold outside. I guess popular, busy places are able to get away with this sort of service, but it certainly detracted from a pleasant evening with friends.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

First night in Chicago and after a drink in the Signature Lounge in the John Hancock building came here for dinner as it was one of the “must visit” places in Chicago. A Tuesday evening and the place was packed. Told we would have an hour to wait and to sit and have a drink outside. Still waiting for someone to come and ask me what I want to drink. That aside the rain and thunder started and we all had to cram under the canopy. Eventually I pleaded exhaustion and we got a table which was at risk of rain coming in; none did. Once we got going the food was really good, very interesting with lots of great flavours. Wine by the carafe was good value as well. Is it worth the wait, undoubtedly yes. Better I would think as a bigger group though as not a quiet couples place.
Would I go back; definitely.

2  Thank John W
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

To be honest, I don't understand the very high ranking of this restaurant. Having said that, it definitely deserves a good ranking, just not that high as is.
Food is really nice (bit greasy and salt but tasty) and service is swift. Maybe a bit too swift. The place is not cheap, but dishes are good! Would definitely come again.

1  Thank PeterWest_79
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Went for dinner last night at The Purple Pig. I had heard good things and it sounded like a place I would like. I did. Hostess who took our name was great although I never caught her name. She had a sense of humor and was quite pleasant. Our server was great too but I also never caught her name. It was on my receipt which I cannot find at the moment. She was friendly, also with a sense of humor. She had lots of great suggestions. We had a cheese platter and loved it. Except for the Chocolate goat. While it was good it really felt more like I dessert. Tart and chocolatey. We had the blue crab and the milk braised pork shoulder. Again, both were good but the blue crab had so much other stuff on it, it was hard to get any flavor out of it. Just too much going on with it. The pork shoulder was awesome. Hard to believe but we were full at that point. My only real issue with the whole thing was Steve the guy who took our drink orders while we waited for a table. He seemed completely indifferent with our presence. We asked for advice on a few beers we had not heard of and he did not seem interested in providing us with any kind of verbal advice. Just said it was beer. Some people just have no ability to interact. Steve might want to find a desk job somewhere that requires no contact with customers. Otherwise we will be going back and try only items not tried this time. Looking forward to it.