“Top Shelf Customer Service”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #40 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed at this hotel for the 2nd time in two years, most recently, August 12th through the 14th, 3 nights. Stayed in room 634. Room has king bed and is very nicely appointed, all items worked, spotless bathroom. Tip of the hat to R. Ferguson and B. Early from the IT team. I called the front desk for help with my TV and internet connection. Both arrived at my room in less than 2 minutes on a busy Monday. They were determined to help and to remedy the problem. Really kind upbeat young men who cared about getting it right. All staff fromt he front desk, bell man, housekeeping all greeted me with a smile or a good morning and made you feel very welcome. Somebody has trained the team in Customer Service, something that is lacking at so many hotels. My only negative experience was the Flourentine restaurant. Bad, bad, bad. Only the bread was good. The service was the worst and I would recommend this place be avoided. Don't let the negative on the restaurant spoil the property though, the JW is in the heart of the financial district, the loop. half a block to the L, so no need for a car. On a scale of 1-10, I give it a hard 9.5.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevators as you could have a little hike from elevator door to your room.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

In addition to a hotel that is in excellent condition the people that take care of you during your stay have been well trained and eager to assist your every need. My small problems during my 5 day stay were handled swiftly and courteously. The club level is staffed with people that are the best I have experienced at any hotel. No matter how busy the club is they treat every guest as if they were their friends. Housekeeping also showed this same high level service commitment. I look forward to returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Very nice loop location for the business traveler. Only used the room, didn't use any other hotel services (restaurants, bar, fitness center), so can't comment on those. Not sure if all rooms are this large, but my room was huge. They said the hotel was only 2 years old and everything about the room looked brand new. Great room, great location, I would definitely stay here again for business.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Staff was cool. We were there for Lolla weekend and it was evacuated. The staff was ready for hundreds, if not thousands.

Our room was perfect. Well put together. Yes we did have a view of a building, but that's pretty much what I expect when I book a room in the middle of taller buildings. Location is perfect.

I will make it a point to stay here for all of our future trips in.

Thanks again

Reviewed 6 August 2012

This hotel has a lot going for it so first the really good stuff. Tremendous location dowtown with a train station literally right next door. Easy walking distance to many attractions, and easy train connections to most others. No real need to rent a car (parking costs are attrocious) unless you need to get to some really remote area. The older style building has been remodeled at what appears to be significant cost and is very pleasing. The bedroom was large and had a huge bathroom with double sinks and lots of room. Very clean and neat with a good bed.
Now the not so good stuff. This is supposed to be a flagship property and I am an Elite Marriott member. The Conciege lounge was closed over the weekend, which is becoming more common in the US (thankfully in most European hotels it stays open), however in a lot of Marriott hotels on the weekend the hotel at minimum provides vouchers for a continental breakfast. Here? Nope. Just closed and tough. Newspapers available? Nope. On saturday morning we had a maid knocking on the door at 8am wanting to clean the room. We told her we would be out around 10. At 9:30 she was back and said if she couldn't come in now our room wouldn't be cleaned that day. Huh? If this was a Fairfield Inn I would just shrug and not think to much about it, however with a JW your expectations are a little higher. At around $300 a night the service should be better.
Would I stay here again? Maybe. However it would be price driven. The location is really good and if they were running a room special such that it was significantly cheaper than $300 I might. Otherwise I'd probably look down the street at the Renaissance.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank RC30319
Reviewed 5 August 2012

The location for this hotel is great but their are much more affordable options in the area. I am sure there are different types of rooms in the hotel but ours was definitely not worth the $300 plus we paid for one night. Our room was very well decorated and the hotel is very upscale but the room was small. The bathroom was half of the room and although I like a nice bathroom not at the expense of a claustrophobic room. Added to this the windows in the room were frosted over. That's right, we could not look out our window!!!!!! I am sure this was to hide a bad view but not being able to see out was totally unacceptable. Definitely ask about this when you check in here. We were also missing the remote in our room and when I called about it the gentleman on the phone argued with me and claimed I just couldn't find it. I played along and looked in all the places he suggested and when it truly couldn't be found he sent one up.

Room Tip: Ask about the windows!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan3181959
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Overall, this is a decent place. The location is great, relatively upscale as the JWs are. Wait staff were very friendly and willing to please. Two things I didn't like. One was the fish which I had from the restaurant - very salty with small bones in it - I wouldn't recommend. Second was poor design of the shower. It is a glass stall and the door opens at the back so you have to walk through the cold water when you first turn it on. The door should be at the back of the stall. Nice robes in the room. Otherwsie, pretty good - but a standard JW.