“Outstanding Hotel and Staff”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #45 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I have stayed at the JW Marriott in Chicago two years in a row for a conference and loved it both times. The location is not far from shopping and sightseeing on foot or by cab. The staff was always attentive but didn't hover. I love the bedding, deep bath tub, adequate room to move around the room, and all of the amenities. The food and beverage for the conference was outstanding.

The lobby bar had excellent servers, selection and really, really good food. I opted to take my computer down there one night instead of staying holed up in my room and ordering room service. The workout facility in the lower lever was quiet at night, and well used in the early morning but had plenty of quality equipment for the demand. Fresh towels and cold water were constantly refilled.

Any outstanding hotel in a large city will have a high price, however the JW Marriott earns their fee. I hope my conference is in the same hotel next year.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,530)

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Went here for my nieces and daughters American Girl trip..awesome location -4 yr old 6 yr old and 10 yr old walked easily in 40 degree weather..short distance! Nicest staff I have ever met...not one rude person. We were on 33 rd floor and no issues with sounds or anything! I hope to stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for high rise rooms!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Marriott is one of the brands I'm pretty loyal to so I try to stick to a Marriott brand if possible... this one worked as it is right next to the Willis Tower and that is where business was taking me on this paticular trip. (I had to carry stuff back and forth, so it was nice to be one block away.) The hotel is beautiful. The lobby is great - and my room was very clean, large, and comfortable. I would stay again if back in Chicago and the location worked. Another perk is that it is right on the train line, so very easy to walk less than one block to get on/off at the Quincy Station. Direct line (Orange) to Midway Airport.
My only disappointment was that generally at check in I get upgraded to the concierge floor, or get "free wifi" being a higher level Marriott Rewards member, and on this trip/check in, there was nothing noted about me being a high level rewards member. And my trip was only one night - so it was not worth me mentioning it myself. Oh well!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Please check out my profile for my biases.

I recently stayed at the JW Marriott on a business trip. Many of my clients are located nearby and you can't beat the location if you are there for anything dealing with the finance industry.

Having elite status with Marriott got me a a nice room on the 11th floor with Concierge Lounge access. It was what you would expect from a JW Marriott, nice furnishings and an elaborate bathroom complete with deep tub, separate shower and a separate room for the toilet.

The Lounge was very nice as well. Not as amazing as the JW in Dubai, but above average for my experience in the US. One could almost eat there for breakfast and dinner if Chicago didn't offer so many amazing dining options.

But there were some drawbacks that make this less than a five. There were some stains on the dark wallpaper in the room with the toilet. They were at chest height and not toilet height so they probably weren't anything extremely biological, but for a hotel of this calibre one would think that housekeeping would notice. The huge, deep tub was a nice option, but it took over 90 minutes to fill (and considering the wide array of things offered in the bathroom, one would assume some bath salts, etc. Niggling I know, but five is supposed to be the best of the best). My room, 1140, had no view.

But I almost gave the place a five anyway because of the Florentine, a bar located on the second floor. The bartender there, Kirby (or as I like to call him, the Celebrated Mr. K) is an artist in the old style: where cocktails were something prepared more along the lines of cooking than just mixing things together. Amazing and worth a trip (or three) if you are into that sort of thing.

My favorite hotel in Chicago is still the Blackstone, but they were booked that week. The JW still wins out on location, so the next time I have to go I'll look mainly at price and time of year. If it is winter and the JW is close in price, I'll choose it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My wife and I stayed here for her b-day weekend and they made the stay exceptional. It's right down town near everything and the hotel staff made sure that every little detail was taken care of. We were treated like royalty.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed here on business and found the location very convenient for the financial district. The rooms were lovely and had recently been renovated. As you would expect for the JW everything was to a high standard. On the downside the view of the central courtyard wasn't attractive and overall I thought the hotel lacked character. Not the sort of place in which you'd want to hang out after a long day at the office.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank TheVoyager79
Reviewed 30 October 2012 via mobile

Pros: comfortable beds and pillows; clean rooms and common areas; professional staff; wifi available in room (for a fee) ; free wifi in lobby; not noisy ; located in heart of financial district and 2 blocks from Sears/Willis Tower; within about a 5 min walking distance to Michigan Avenue; nice selection of items in the in room minibar ; Valeo Spa is located in the hotel and offers a relaxing atmosphere and a variety of treatments (stone massage was great) ; work out room has up to date equipment and cardio machines have individual TVs; cable tv in rooms with HBO; Irish pub 2 minutes away and W Hotel across the street ; lobby bar has a great selection of cocktails and a modernly cozy atmosphere.
Cons: hotel needs more food choices - the hotel has only two restaurants and if you are at the hotel over a weekend many of the surrounding restaurants are closed. Keep this in mind. Florentine restaurant in the hotel has great food but the menu is very limited and the service was slow. Food in the hotel is expensive for what you get .
Overall I would stay at the JW Marriott again. Great for business travelers. If you are planning on doing touristy things stay over off Michigan Avenue or Gold Coast. There's more tourist activity in that area . There's a Marriott in the Millennium Mile area if you are loyal to Marriott.

• Stayed: October 2012