“First Rate”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #46 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed at the JW Marriott last week and found everything to be first rate. The hotel was very quiet, clean and well managed. Check in and check out were both very quick and easy. The rooms were large, particularly for an older downtown property. Our family of 4 was very comfortable in one, double bed room. The location is very convenient, particularly for anyone arriving by train, as we did. It is a very short walk from Union Station and also within easy walking distance to the Loop, Art Institute, Willis Tower and Millenium Park. The fitness facility and pool also looked very nice, though we didn't have a chance to use either while were there.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,531)

Reviewed 30 December 2012

My husband and I stayed at the JW for the first time for my birthday this year. Even though we were not confirmed for a king bed, we were pleased that we ended with one. My husband was able to checkin without me since I had his name on the reservation. I enjoyed my stay and everyone seemed helpful. But the lady at the front desk was not smiling nor explained the amenities that the hotel had which was a downfall. I had to figure out everything on my own. The room was gorgeous, loved that it had a separate tub and shower. I was able to relax and take my time getting ready since the bathroom was spacious. My husband was never told how much valet was or what was the options by the desk clerk so that was very disappointing to him. The lobby was great my husband was able to have his conference calls with no problems. Over all I had a great time and enjoyed my birthday!

Room Tip: Rm 1036 had no view but was a nice king size room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I've stayed frequently at this hotel for business. I find that it is a beautiful facility, with beautiful rooms but constantly seems to charge more than what I feel the experience is worth. Check in always seems to be a hassle, even with status, which isn't fun after dealing with a long flight and the train in.

Pros: Beautiful facility, rooms are nicely done but generally dark and on the small side. The workout facility is one of the best. Close to the train.

Cons: Small rooms, not so customer service oriented staff, price of food onsite/room service.

To be fair, I find this is the case with most hotels in Chicago, but the JW charges a lot more typically.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 December 2012

We have traveled around the world and stayed in many fine hotels, but the JW Marriott far exceeded almost all! We came to Chicago for shopping and family the weekend before Christmas. It was quiet in the hotel, so we assumed it was empty, but actually it was just that fantastic. The staff treats you as though you are the only ones there, and it is so well built you don't know the other guests are around. The light, bright lobby was a great welcome. The room was spotless and seemed brand new. The bed was so comfortable and the blackout drapes helped me sleep far past my usual time. The concierge lounge had a spread that was second to none--could easily have been dinner for us---and Gilberto who works there serves as a personal tour guide or leaves you be, whatever you prefer. The location was off Michigan Ave, but for us it still worked--we walked to each meal nearby at some of the most famous Chicago stops (Lou Mitchell and Everest) and some of our shopping as well. We will be back!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Momof2travelers
Reviewed 24 December 2012

My wife and I stayed here the night that we went to see 'The Book of Mormon' in Chicago. The room we had was larger than a typical Chicago hotel room. It was immaculately clean. The bathroom was very large and had a separate shower and deep soaking tub. The bed was very comfortable. The employees couldn't be nicer. I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2012

This is a really lovely Marriott. The lobby is beautiful, the rooms are great. I had a large room on a high floor and it was great.

There were clearly two (or more) people servicing my room. One was brilliant, and everything was immaculate, and beyond immaculate, with everything neatly folded, and real care taken. One was rubbish and managed to not empty the bin, or replace toiletries etc.

My only gripe really was the spa area. I went down to use the gym and the pool, and then walked through to the lockers to collect things and had a shower and used the suana (which was underpowered and useless) on my first night. All fine.

Then I went down to use it again... had a swim and then headed back to use the showers. I was then told - a little rudely by a spa staff member - that this involves an extra fee. There were no signs to tell me this, I could access it freely and through the fitness centre (which IS free). So basically they wait until you're naked and have no option and then spring a charge on you. If the spa is separate from the free fitness centre for hotel guests then it should be kept so, and the fitness centre changing rooms should have their own showers for guests to use. Having the two interlinked, and with nothing to suggest that one area carries a fee is misleading.

For this reason I can only rate the hotel as 'Average' despite being impressed by the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor away from the lifts.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Britontherails
Reviewed 14 December 2012

For those who have a huge exam (such as the NCLEX or GMAT) at the Pearson Testing Center a half block away, or are looking to have a great night on the town, this hotel is fabulous!

A few things to share about my visit:
-Prime location! Smack dab in the business Loop (Adams and Wells), neighboring the Sears (errr excuse me, Willis Tower), a brown line El train stop (Quincy) half a block away, and plenty of dining options.
-Architecture! The hotel is inside one of Chicago's famous architect's (Daniel Burnham's) neoclassical Continental & Commercial National Bank Building. Take a peek at those Grand Staircases are the entrance (http://www.yelp.com/biz_…) and the Burnham Ballroom on the 4th floor (http://www.yelp.com/biz_…).
-After stepping into my large room with a spacious sleeping space, tub, separate shower, and separate toilet room, I turned on the widescreen TV and relaxed to the beautiful song (thanks to Shazam: "There's a Secret by Zen Garden") and rotating pictures of JW Marriott's around the world.
-Huge work-out facility with a pleasant pool and jacuzzi (in the basement level) looked nice, although I didn't get to try it out.
-Staff was always very courteous and smiley--especially the fabulous lady at the entrance to the Valeo Spa. Wish I could have taken advantage of the spa too!
-Two small downfalls was that they did not have a King bedroom to give me, so I ended up with two double beds. The neat TV system's remote mouse didn't work so I had to just go to the Weather Channel versus using the fun JW features. Lastly, $15 a day for wi-fi (except executive and premier members), lame!

This JW Marriott location sure gives a great perspective to my Windy Hometown. Next time I have guests, I will recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the El train tracks that run along Wells Street for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business