“great hotel, great spa, convenient location”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #46 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I stayed here over St. Patrick's Day weekend in 2012. My friends and I arrived on Friday AM for a spa day in the basement spa (can't recall the name!), and all of our treatments were excellent. The front desk staff were able to check us in early to our room as well, which was an added bonus. The best part of this hotel was the location, as it is literally located on an Orange Line stop, making getting to/from the hotel a breeze (note: it's an elevated stop, so you have to carry your luggage up/down the stairs--nothing too terrible, but I didn't see an option for wheelchair access, etc...I wasn't looking for it though, so I could've just missed it). Excellent hotel bar with lots of seating and TVs (March Madness was going on, so we hung out there before dinner). I didn't eat in the hotel though. There's a Dunkin' Donuts located about 2 blocks away, and the former Sears Tower is about 3-4 blocks away. The only con? There's not a lot of restaurants located nearby that are open on Sundays, as this is primarily the financial area, so just be aware of that. Otherwise, it was nice and quiet on the weekends. I will DEFINITELY return!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank go4elk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,541)

Reviewed 22 January 2013

Time for another get away in Chicago and this hotel did not disappoint.

Inspired: entire staff was excellent

Pro: awesome room, quiet hotel, beautiful finishes, raspberry water in lobby, doormen were excellent, no Legionnaires' disease

Con: nothing at all

Return: absolutely!

Purchased: via Bidding For Good

Room Tip: we had an interior room that was very quiet
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 275GTS
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Our 2nd trip to Chicago (for my daughter and I).... I was a little bit confused when we pulled up - nothing looked the same as the hotel last year... we stayed at a different marriott last year. We did make our res here! Check in was great - except our elevator key didn't work. We went back to the desk & they fixed that for us. Finally making it to our room (from the inside you can't tell how old the building is) --- I opened the drapes (large double paned windows!) and what was our view?! The Sears Tower (ok, I know it's the Willis Tower...) we loved our view - watching the clouds move around Willis Tower. We arrived on the 20th - during a little sleet storm. The room was modern and warm! We were on the executive floor and enjoyed the lounge & the employees were amazing with directions! The food was delicious! We loved the hot chocolate! We will be back!

We didn't use the train - but my friend did when she visited us for the day & said it was a great location!

We walked everywhere while we were there! Love the people and the food!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DonnaInATX
Reviewed 22 January 2013

This is a premium experience in downtown Chicago. The employees at this property (from the door men to the club lounge are exceptional. If you are in Chicago for a long term stay, this is the property that should be your second home. From the moment they greet you curbside by name it's an excellent experience. The rooms are gorgeous, great gym, personal trainers, beautiful spa, close to everything and a first rate staff that does their absolute best to make you feel comfortable. I am actually quite surprised this property isn't in the top 10!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. The showers are pretty legendary. Mine had a tv in the bathroom mirror! So...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank HotelDeeDee
Reviewed 21 January 2013

This was my first time at the JW Marriott in Chicago. I was very impressed with the rooms. The room was very modern, and the bathrooms were very done and spacious. The lobby was also very modern, but a little small.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2013

This is a wonderful old building that has been recently turned into a very fine hotel. It's in the financial district so it's probably not a classic tourist stop. However, we were tourists and the location proved to be excellent because of the fine Chicago public transportation system and our enjoyment of walking.

In many rooms, you'll hear some noise from the El but otherwise it's a good sleep -- Marriott bedding at its best, nice thick doors, quiet plumbing, etc. The bathrooms are of a very high standard with nice amenities. And, the room had the cleanest smell of any hotel room we have been in in perhaps 20 years. There is no heavy-duty deodorizer smell whatsoever.

We had Executive Lounge access and that proved to be wonderful. It was staffed by great people who were proud of their hotel and their city. Nice breakfasts, afternoon snacks and desserts. A real bonus! I love my Platinum card.

Every -- that's EVERY -- employee was exceptionally friendly, welcoming, courteous, helpful and all those other good things. They really are happy to have you in "their" hotel. Next time we are in Chicago, they'll have us back.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I was thoroughly impressed with the service here. I was greeted warmly by each employee and most of the time was greeted by name. My room was completely clean, bed was comfortable, and room service was good. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business