“Very nice hotel, great location, expensive parking”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #44 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here 4/18 and 4/19/14 over Easter Weekend for our 3rd Wedding Anniversary. We paid for the "park and stay" for $174 per night. It included parking that separately would have been $60 per 24 hours. Upon arrival, we pulled up to the curb and the valet took our word that we had a reservation and he took our key and we went inside with all our luggage. It is a very beautiful hotel with a restaurant inside but we never used it. There was no problems checking in and we told the persons behind the counter that we are visiting Chicago to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary, which they already knew and acknowledged because when I made the reservation on their website I typed in that it was our anniversary. I read online that if you tell the hotel you are celebrating an anniversary, which we were, then they will do something nice for you like put champagne/roses/chocolates or something in your room. I was really excited that they may do something nice like that for us so I mentioned it to them as we were checking in hoping something nice would be in our room when we got back.

We took our things to the room, took pictures of it and we headed out for dinner. We ended up going across the street to the Walgreens to buy bus passes so we can travel everywhere by bus and just leave our car with the valet to save parking money which is outrageous in Chicago. The bus passes are actually put on a Ventra card and cost $5 per person to activate and then only $10 per person for a 1 day pass. I think the 3 day pass - both unlimited rides - was only $20. We bought the City Pass online before we left for Chicago for $94 each which gets you into 5 different attractions. We went to 4/5 attractions.

I HIGHLY recommend buying the City Pass as the lines for the Willis Tower/Skydeck and the Shedd Aquarium were VERY VERY long!!! You will save hours most likely of standing in line if you just buy the City Pass and activate it at any of the 5 locations you choose to go to. It was VERY simple to activate and get tickets. BEWARE: DO NOT TAKE OUT ANY OF THE PASSES FROM THE BOOKLET OR THEY AUTOMATICALLY ARE VOID!!! I had torn out two of the passes right before handing them to the Field Museum person and they said NEVER do that or they will be VOID and they said only THIS time they will allow it. I was like WOAH I had no idea....I didn't read enough evidently on the tickets!

Back to the hotel...I only have two "beefs" with this hotel. I became very upset Fri night 4/18 when I went down to the check-in desk at 230am asking to switch to a double bed room from the king I was in. I told the desk clerk that I had been trying to fall asleep since 11pm and could NOT sleep because the bed would move too much everytime my husband moved and that I was sad to say that we needed a double bed room. My husband was sound asleep and I was miserable because the bed shook too much with every turn, movement, anything! The clerk went back to the night manager and she came out and told me they can move me but they would have to check out the current room I was in and check into the new room. I asked the manager to PLEASE leave my husband sleeping AT LEAST a few more hours until early morning so to not wake him up at almost 3am and have to move every single thing in the room in the middle of the night which could also wake up a lot of people near our room and delay me getting to sleep even longer! The manager refused to let me move across the hall for just 4 hours while letting my husband sleep until at least 7am.

I asked if the housekeepers were going to rush in there at 3am and clean the room or were they going to go in there after 7am (most likely 10am or later) and THEN clean it. He said they were not going in there right then to clean it. I was like, "Then what is the problem?! You're not losing ANY money by waiting a few more hours since you're not going to clean it until after 7am AND you are moving me ANYWAYS across the hall!" Grrr I was upset! So, needless to say he wouldn't do it and me and the bell boy went up to the room at 3am, woke up my husband and drug everything across the hall...had to pack up the whole room, bathroom, everything. I didn't get to sleep until after 4am because of all that and my husband wasn't happy, to say the least.

The 2nd "beef" I have with this hotel is that even after mentioning probably 4 times total that it was our anniversary from talking to the desk a few times in two days to get directions etc. I NEVER got anything in our room, nothing happened. When I was checking out I told the desk clerk about it and she got the day manager and I told him. He then asked if he could do something for us...maybe let us have something from the snack shop they had. I decided it was better than nothing and ended up with 1 drink for each of us and 1 breakfast bar for each of us. That's better than nothing but the whole thing added up to like $8 so they spent $8 on us instead of giving us chocolate covered strawberries and/or champagne. We did, however, LOVE the desk clerk Miguel. He was VERY helpful in printing off directions for us to a few places and being very friendly and welcoming.

But, next time we travel to Chicago we are definitely going to take the Megabus from Indy and saving the $120 in parking fees where my car never moved for 48 hours. Parking ANYWHERE in Chicago is very expensive. You're better off taking the Amtrak in or the Megabus and then buying the Ventra Card and put bus pass money on there and taking the Busses everywhere. Those busses take you anywhere you need to go! Even Wrigley Field!! But as far as this hotel is concerned, it IS a nice hotel, GORGEOUS bathrooms (the best part) but parking is outrageous and don't count on getting ANYTHING but a fruit water and a choc chip breakfast bar from them for your anniversary! If you're cool with that, then this hotel is for you!

Room Tip: if you need a BIG shower then the king sized bedroom had the largest shower, When we switched to 2 d...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Don L, Executive Assistant at JW Marriott Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

First of all, thank you for the positive ratings even in light of the missteps on our part. We want every stay to be memorable, but more so as a pleasant memory and you have my apologies.
I have no excuse for the staff not doing a better job of recognizing your anniversary. It’s asking a lot, but hopefully next year for your 4th Anniversary you will consider a return visit, and I can assure you things will be handled differently.
While your room issues were unique, the solution you would have preferred equated to a two rooms for the price of one arrangement. Fortunately occupancy that night did permit a room change, but from a security standpoint, allowing someone to remain in or move to another room without a reservation attached is something we are unable to do. I honestly understand your logic, but we are bound by certain established processes ensuring guest safety.
As for your accolades regarding what went right and staff recognition, thank you. Also your helpful suggestions for the CTA and CityPass are invaluable to first time and even some experienced visitors to Chicago. TripAdvisor is a useful resource for travelers because of detailed commentary such as yours, we value and act upon all reviews and sincerely hope to have you as our guest again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,522)

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Very good hotel in a good downtown location. Room was comfortable and well-appointed, if a bit on the small side (no room for an arm chair). Breakfast in the attached restaurant (which is managed separately -- the hotel itself has only a bar/lounge in the lobby with a limited menu) was very good -- among the best "American-style" hotel breakfasts I've had. One thing to note: if you want to put the restaurant charge on your hotel bill, you must tell the waiter/waitress; if you do, you receive a discount on food, but not beverages. It was odd that the wait staff is not instructed to ask a guest if s/he is staying in the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Don L, Executive Assistant at JW Marriott Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you! As the premier luxury hotel in Chicago’s Loop, we appreciate the public recognition and endorsement of our property. Your notes regarding processes are under review by both hotel and Florentine management, our apologies for any inconveniences this may have presented.
As a Top Contributor with TripAdvisor, we hope your travels will bring you back to Chicago soon, and hopefully we will have the opportunity to provide a 5-star stay regarding all aspects of your visit.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

What a fabulous hotel. We are definitely Marriott people but were very glad to have clicked on the JW Marriott for our Chicago springbreak. The staff is top notch--you would think they were southerners with their excellent hospitality skills!!!! The concierge lounge was being remodeled but they had made more than adequate arrangements for it servicees. The indoor pool is a great bonus, especially with little kids in the Chicago snow. They loved getting to swim. The spa is very good. The lounge is welcoming and a great place for a nightcap. Cabs were always available...no wait time. Without saying, a great place to stay!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you! When a Top Contributor for TripAdvisor critiques our hotel, we take notice; and when they give us such a complimentary review, we are appreciative of our staff and facilities that made it happen.
Resulting from a $400M reconstruction, the JW Marriott was incorporated into the historic Continental Bank & Trust building, designed by architect Daniel Burnham. 100 years later our intent was to bring back the grandeur and grace of a bygone era and the experience of staying in a luxury hotel, but with the modern conveniences of the 21st Century. Through yours and similar reviews, we sense we may have achieved that goal.
With all due respect to our friends in Arkansas and the South, one of the best kept secrets is Midwesterners are genuinely warm and hospitable, even in a city the size of Chicago. It is our pleasure to host visitors and showcase our hotel and city; more importantly we hope we have the opportunity to have you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Great help including doorman and car parkers
Centrally located, easy checkin and out.
Nice local in hotel food place but not a sitdown restaurant
We will stay again
We used the hotel parking service--probably easier than on your own.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Don L, Executive Assistant at JW Marriott Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for the high marks and positive review. I think the bases are covered with arrival, location, departure, and parking; hopefully next time you will be able to enjoy a more formal dining experience in our Florentine Restaurant or through our In Room Dining to complete your visit. Being only a few hours from Madison, we would be delighted to have you as our guests again soon and well into the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here overnight on our trip to the Northwest and had a great stay. We were warmly welcomed by all the staff beginning with the gentleman who took our bags from the taxi and gave our name to the young lady at the reservations desk. Checkin was fast and efficient and we were in our room very quickly. We had dinner and breakfast at the Florentine Restaurant and both meals were outstanding. We thought the room rates were very reasonable for downtown Chicago and we would definitely recommend this hotel and would certainly stay again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Don L, Executive Assistant at JW Marriott Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for the complimentary review, hopefully in the future your journey will bring you to Chicago for perhaps a longer visit. Our staff is determined to provide the best possible stay for all of our guests, your recognition of our associates and the hotel is greatly appreciated. Appreciative of the recommendation to other readers, but sincerely hope you will be able to stay again soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

When we arrived we were greeted with valet service and bell hop staff, every one was so nice and helpful and professional, the overall appearance of the hotel was beautiful and very clean, we didn't spend a ton of money on a room and still got a really good room, the bathroom had everything in it, from a very deep tub to a marbled shower. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The location was perfect and staff members got taxis for us within seconds and were always there to open doors as we returned. Cant say anything bad about this place.

Room Tip: We got a basic room without high ceilings or view, still got a king bed and tub with shower, also wi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Great review, thank you! As a Senior Reviewer with TripAdvisor, we appreciate your demographic and recommendation. The public recognition of arguably the best Hotel Staff in the Midwest is also highly valued, but it should be noted that we’re fortunate to host the best guests coming to Chicago. The pleasure is all ours and we hope your travels will bring you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Great experience from booking to check out! Front desk staff assisted in an early check-in for us and gave us some "local" favorite options for dining. Beautiful, clean corner room with exclusive JW amenities. Very nice lounge for a nightcap & quick bite. Located within a few minutes walk to shopping or museums. We are already planning our future Chicago stay! If there is a JW Marriott option, that will always be our first choice!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you! Our reward is seeing everything regarding your stay from arrival to departure went smoothly and that you had an enjoyable experience. Chicagoans are proud of their city, and truly enjoy the opportunity to share our local favorites with out of town visitors. Our challenge now is to keep the momentum going for your next stay and make it more memorable than the last. Until then, safe travels and we look forward to seeing you again soon.