“Higher Expectations”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #44 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the JW Chicago for our anniversary. I am a Marriott rewards member and called ahead seeking an early checking in, a room upgrade, and let them know that I was staying there for my anniversary. When I checked in at 1PM, our room nor an upgrade was available. I was ok without the upgrade because it was a Saturday, but disappointed that a room wasn't available. Even worse, there was no acknowledgement of the reason we were staying. I didn't expect a gift or anything; however, it would have been nice for the staff to acknowledge or anniversary. There are a lot of very nice hotels in the Chicago loop that go above and beyond for their customers - I did not get that feeling at all from the JW Marriott in Chicago.

When we got to the room, it was very clean and large. However, during the late evening, music from a wedding reception was very loud and echoed outside our room. And the bathroom sink leaked, leaving us no dry towels in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Don L, Executive Assistant at JW Marriott Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for your review, and on behalf of the leadership team of the JW Chicago, our apologies for the communication error. We strive to ensure all stays are memorable, especially noteworthy ones such as an anniversary and I’m sorry we didn’t meet your expectations.
While we are unable to remedy a situation after the fact, I would encourage you on future stays to please speak with the Manager on Duty if any aspect of your stay is unsatisfactory. Had we been made aware of the noise or bathroom issues while you were still in our care, I’m confident your experience would have had a more positive outcome.
Should the opportunity to stay with us avail itself again, please consider giving the JW Chicago another try. We have established ourselves as a hospitality leader in the Chicago market, and although there is no solace by saying your visit was an exception to the rule, hopefully a second chance will allow us to provide you with a more favorable stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,521)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed here for a girls weekend. it is a beautiful hotel with excellent customer service. I love Marriott hotels, and I really love the JW Marriott chain. the ambiance is amazing. I love the decor and the spa water that they keep in the lobby. it was so refershing to drink that after a long day in the hot weather. the only downside to this hotel is that it is in the business area. so ifyou want to partake in the Chicage club scene you will have to take a taxi. other that that the location was great. it was about a 10 minute walk from the train station. the rooms are beautiful. I love the bathroom mirror with the TV in it. I want one of those in my house. the toiletries provided weretop notch and the room was extremely clean. I looked long and hard for a spec of imprefection and found none. They were nice enough to bring a fridge into each of our rooms. we actually wanted to stay at the Marriott on Michigan Ave but it was booked. this was our second choice. the bar staff were super friendly and funny. This hotel made our girls weekend a great time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank meaninc
Don L, Executive Assistant at JW Marriott Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Perhaps it was fate that we stole you away from the Marriott on the Mag Mile? As more and more visitors have discovered, Chicago has many facets, and although Michigan Avenue is a must see for any first time visitor, what really defines Chicago is located away from the chain stores and restaurants found along the Mag Mile. We are delighted to see your stay was most memorable, and that you and your friends had a good time visiting Chicago. We are indeed proud of our hotel and its amenities, but our associates are the ones who elevate the stay from simply a weekend in a hotel to a rejuvenating escape with access to one of America’s most vibrant cities. We hope the chance to visit again will happen soon, and in retrospect a few minutes in a cab outweighed a change of location.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Great hotel. Close to Willis (Sears) Tower and walking distance to many sights. The hotel and the rooms are very comfortable. Food was excellent. Rates can fluctuate according to demand. There are hotels closer to Magnificent Mile--but the walk is enjoyable and there are many sights.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PabloEBlanco

Thank you! Always appreciative when the well-seasoned traveler takes the time to review our hotel, even better when we receive such high marks. We hope to establish ourselves as the destination of choice for visitors to Chicago, and as you mentioned the city is easily walkable. Our location is perfect for exploring the real Chicago away from the more touristy areas to the north (even so, still just minutes away via cab or by foot). We hope a future visit either on business or at your leisure will bring you back soon; we look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is a very nice hotel in the Loop area if you have business in the area or are interested in tourist sites in the area. For example, the Art Institute is a short walk from the hotel. I was at the hotel for a group meeting. The catered food was excellent, especially the buffet dinner. If you are more interested in tourist sites on or near the Miracle Mile, you should pick a hotel on or closer to Michigan Avenue.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you, we value those reviews submitted by TripAdvisor’s Senior Contributors, but it appears you would also easily qualify as a Top Contributor with your travel history. Hotels aren’t necessarily known for their food, especially those meals which are catered; however in addition to bringing luxury accommodations to Chicago’s Financial District, we brought in an experienced team of culinary experts to delight and pleasantly surprise any attendees from a business meeting to a wedding. Thank you for the public recognition of their efforts, and for again highlighting our prime location. We hope the opportunity for you go return to Chicago as our guest again avails itself soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here on business and it was a seamless trip. The hotel was very comfortable, food was good, and the staff took care of everything and just faded into the background. They were there when you needed them but not intrusive at all.
The JW Marriott is away from the tourist areas in Chicago, and it was nice to be downtown but not in the middle of the crowds. It was very easy to get around and many restaurants nearby.
The room was very comfortable and the bathroom was spacious and luxurious.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Hilary T

Thank you, as you have discovered, we are positioning ourselves as the premier luxury destination hotel for both business and leisure travel in the Chicago area. Our associates are taking hospitality service standards to the next level, and more and more travelers are experiencing the true Chicago away from the gentrified Magnificent Mile. While we would encourage any first time visitor to check out the tourist draws of our nearby neighbors, the history, architecture, culture, dining, and shopping alternatives reflective of our beautiful city are found closer to our hotel than those on the Mag Mile. We very much appreciate the complimentary review, and it would be our pleasure to have you as our guest again soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the JW Marriott with my boyfriend on the way back home to Ireland Feb 27th, fantastic hotel, extremely elegant, beautiful rooms and helpful staff. This was my 2nd time to stay here. We had an extremely easy check in and check out. Reception staff and concierge staff were extremely polite and helpful. Our room was top notch, bed was extremely comfortable and the facilities in the room e.g. Bathroom, tv, etc were all 5* . We ran into two issues while we stayed there, Internet (which costs like $15 a night) basically barely connected and didn't really work. We were refunded for this but would be great if this could be improved in the future. My second issue was upon check out my bill only showed my billing info which was correct, after I arrived home I noticed that I was over charged from my online bank statements. I was charged for my own room and another customers room and there was also a hold put on my card for nearly $300 which I wasn't made aware of. This was eventually sorted out but required me to call usa and talk to numerous staff numerous times. Being from Ireland, this was not exactly convenient. Issues aside we really did love this hotel and would probably still visit again sometime in the future. Reasons for my 3 stars is purely based on the issues we faced otherwise i would have given 5 stars.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Éirinn go Brách! Thank you for both stays, your gracious review, and for your recommendation to other travelers. We are proud of our facilities but even more so of our amazing staff, always delighted to read when we were able to deliver a memorable stay. We do take our guest comments very seriously, and as such completed an entire internet upgrade this past Spring which has made any connectivity issues a thing of the past. Also please accept our apologies regarding the billing error, I trust it was resolved accordingly, but for future reference customer care in Ireland would have also been able to assist with this matter on your schedule, +353 214 213 580. With that, our hope is we will see you again on your next visit to the States, and we will make every effort to boost your next experience from a 3 to a 5 star rating.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have one complaint about the hotel in general, which is the cost for parking, but that is barely a complaint when parking in the city is always high. The rooms were great, beds comfortable, and everything was kept in great condition. The TVs have Direct TV (I believe), the quality of the products in the bathroom were way above average, and the amenities in the hotel phenomenal. We utilized the fitness center that included a steamroom and sauna. Platinum members have it great for this hotel. Wifi was free and the executive lounge offered breakfast, snacks, appetizers, and desserts that all were amazing and had great variety. The hotel's location is perfect as well. Overall amazing experience!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bpbialk13

Thank you! Your complimentary review is appreciated by the hotel management, but even more so a priceless resource for any potential guests coming to Chicago. We may be able to promote our hotel through various channels, but when a traveler reads about an “amazing” experience from a fellow traveler, we can’t buy that kind of advertising. Regrettably yes, parking in the heart of Chicago is a premium, and although there are less expensive self-parking options available, the primary advantage of our unique location is direct access to either airport via public transportation (Chicago’s famous “L”); or our close proximity to Union Station. Regardless of the method of transportation which will bring you back to the city, we would love to have you as our guest again soon.