“"The Little Paris" = BIG MISTAKE”
Review of Le Petit Paris

Le Petit Paris
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Petit Paris is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #739 of 10,076 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Streeterville
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Chef/owner Alain is possibly the rudest person I have ever met. I lived in Paris for 3 years and have never encountered anything near this mix of surly disdain and contempt for human existence.

I am a French teacher and came here with two other teachers and a group of young adults who acted just that- like adults. They even ordered in French - politely. He treated them like MERDE. Like other reviews said, he doesn't like it if you don't order an appetizer AND entree. We apparently weren't ordering enough -even though his restaurant was empty at 5pm on a Sunday. He made a comment that we were order so little and muttered to me as he left the table "pas possible, pas possible". He was upset we didn't order bottles of wine - sorry, not when we are chaperoning a group of teenagers and DRIVING them around the city. Finally, he made it seem like we were inconveniencing him by even being there- apparently it was our fault that he had a very busy Friday and Saturday night (good for you!) and had "no food left" for Sunday - even though I made my reservation AN ENTIRE MONTH IN ADVANCE. He even chastised me for not having the kids order in advance - well I would have...IF YOU SUGGESTED THAT THE THREE TIMES I TALKED TO YOU ON THE PHONE.

And if you want to complain about ordering- how about the escargot that we ordered? Your menu claims they are baked in a puff pastry croute - what a wonderful concept! I'd love to try them! I hope I will...some day....just not here, were they come in a bowl like your average joint.

He was especially inexplicably rude to one kid in particular. Alain, your food wasn't that great...I've had better in both France and the US and you know what? I'm confident my coq au vin and French onion soup are far superior to yours and I'll even make some madelaines on the side that you can gently (don't worry, they're buttery) insert into your derriere.

1  Thank PetitePoulette81

Reviewed 8 January 2014

It is amazing, no matter where I see a rating for this restaurant, people are all over the map. It's been a while since we've been here and so decided to go for New Years' Eve. The atmosphere is a little quirky, a little tired, but somehow it works great for an intimate night out. I would agree with Magpie 1969's assessment of Alain's personality - think French version of Seinfeld's soup nazi!
I was having a hard time deciding between two fish entrees and he told me that he was the chef and it would be stupid of him to recommend one of his dishes over another!! Basically, grow up and pick my own meal! I'm not sure how much he liked us after that, but the meal was still excellent. We each had a different salad and both were particularly good. There was lively table conversations next to us and everyone seemed to know each other, making this a neighborhood gem. We forgot how much we enjoyed our previous visits here. A little temperament out of the chef doesn't bother me. It is truly French bistro cooking.

BTW - The bar is very small and quaint and they serve a stiff drink (per my husband!). I'm sorry but I can't comment on the wine list, but assume that it was adequate and reasonably priced, as we were the only table not having something. We'll be back.....

Reviewed 31 December 2013

It would be wrong to say "you can get just as good French food elsewhere." Good food isn't that comparable. But for those who say Le Petite Paris is like dining in Paris, I agree. It is authentic, delicious food at a price which is incomparably low, probably due to the low staff overhead. The owner and one waiter were handling the bar and the dining room.

We arrived around 7 pm on a Monday night. There were only two tables occupied, still we were told there would be half-hour wait. It didn't seem likely, until we watched each table fill up with those with reservations. Forty-five minutes later we were shown to our table. Once seated things went smoothly.

Here's what we had: I had onion soup, very good. My wife had the most delectable corn chowder either of us had ever tasted. Extraordinary. I am
not a fan of beef burgundy since it can be too rich and filling. But our waiter suggested it with such enthusiasm I folded. My wife ordered what I really wanted, the coq au vin, and we were to share. We didn't. My dish was perfectly seasoned and cooked. It was light yet flavorful in a way most beef is not. By the time we finished our dishes any thought of sharing had disappeared. The apple tartin dessert was really good.

As for the owner, Alain, think a French version of Seinfeld's soup guy. There is a reason Jerry keeps going back. We will too.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

This was the fourth time I have eaten at this quaint restaurant. My wife & I went went with another couple and were warmly received the owner Alain. We sat at nice quite table , they all are quite, and proceeded to have a great, enjoyable and non rushed dinner. The service was superb and friendly(not over friendly). Truly authentic French cuisine. This is not a trendy restaurant ,but a great place for quite conversation, great well priced food & wine.

1  Thank gardnerII
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I chose this restaurant as the site of an after work dinner party. Quite, quaint, French & our group was interested in trying a new place in Streeterville. HUGE MISTAKE!!! The waiter (possibly, owner) was INCREDIBLY rude. He muttered rude comments under his breath as each of us ordered. He was displeased that most of us were only ordering an appetizer or soup & a salad. We all had @ least 1 drink as well. He referred to us as "cafeteria people". I am actually glad we didn't spend more money there because I wouldn't want a place like this the flourish with such HORRID customer service. It's a Wednesday night & there were only 2 other tables occupied in the whole place. I was appalled & will NEVER return & will continue to tell others of our deplorable experience.

1  Thank Cubbiegirl7