“Top notch”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chicago
The Flats at Loyola Station
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This is the perfect place for the seasoned traveler who is self sufficient. There is no front desk and no staff on site, which is not to say there is not excellent customer service, but this makes for an experience more like staying in a friend's condo than a hotel. It definitely has all the comforts of home.

The facility is well-maintained and beautifully appointed. We stayed in two separate units over several days. The beds were comfortable with adequate pillows, although in the first unit the bedding had such a strong detergent smell I had to take the case off and sleep on a towel. If we had stayed longer, we would have washed the linen in the facilities provided in each unit to get the smell out. It was not an issue in the second unit.

Although we were on the ground floor the first night with foot traffic a few feet away, we all slept very well. The entire building has a very solid feel and we did not hear other guests at all.

The bathrooms were spacious and well-stocked. I forgot a brush and was grateful for the CVS next door. I was surprised in such luxurious settings, however, to find such skimpy towels, but I suppose that is to discourage theft. Also, I was surprised that there were no grab bars in the tub which was super slippery, or bathmats. These are easily remedied, though, and did not make my stay any less enjoyable.

I forgot something and did not discover it until many days later. The staff had it stored safely for me and were kind enough to mail it to me at no charge. This would have excused a multitude of flaws, but thankfully there weren't any.

Room Tip: Rooms near the staircase are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 July 2012

We were there for 3 nights for a family wedding held on Loyola campus. We stayed in unit 101, which is right inside the front door. We had a little patio which I enjoyed using in the AM as I'm a people watcher. The Flats are in a great location right near the El, and lots of fun little restaurants within walking distance. It's close to access Lake Shore Drive if you're going downtown. It's close to a nice beach on Lake MIchigan. It was nice to have a parking space altho it's a pretty tight fit, but way better than having to find a place on the street to park. Yes, it was noisy when people stood outside at 0400 and yakked for awhile, but I went out and asked them to keep it down and that worked. My biggest complaint was that there was no bath mat in the tub. I went out and bought one from a nearby hardware store. I also think there should be grab bars inside the tub. Even able-bodied folks can slip and fall.
I was most appreciative of the student help available by phone. The young woman helped us figure out the TV system and accessing the WiFi. The best thing was that we left an unopened bottle of insulin in the refrigerator. We were able to call the emergency number and retrieve this to send home with other family members.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

The flats at Loyola Station were awesome. The staff was so flexible, letting us park our car there before and after check-in/check-out. This helped us save on parking in the city. Also very close to public transit both bus and El train. Highly recommend, you won't be dissappointed. It was perfect for my husband, my two boys and myself. We stayed in the one bedroom, which was more than enough space for everyone.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed at The Flats for four nights and will definatly return! This little hidden secret is a jewel of a find! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank jenbmuckey
Reviewed 15 June 2012

My family, ranging from 10 years old to 68 years loved this place to stay. It was comfortable, had all the amenities of home and was beautifully decorated. We had a unit on the 4th floor and loved the balcony overlooking the tree lined street. Very convenient with plenty of good restaurants within walking distance, close to public transportation, and was still a quiet retreat. It was a good value considering the kitchen facilities and free parking. We stayed 3 nights and we would love to return next year for a similar stay. The only down side was when we first arrived the entry code didn't work. We called the number provided with our reservation and one of the staff came right away to let us in and was very helpful in answering all our questions. Communication was good all during the reservation process and I really can't say enough good things about it!

Room Tip: Unit 401 was on the 4th floor...very quiet and we loved the balcony.
1  Thank GrandmaPhyllis001
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Traveled with four friends to experience Chicago. Great location for 'el train' at Loyola Station. We didn't use our car for three days. Wonderful neighborhood to walk and experience. Close to Lake. Two bedroom apt. nicely decorated, full kitchen and spacious storage throughout. Found the apt to be a challenge when all four in our group wanted to eat at the counter (only three bar chairs) or sit in the living area (comfortable seating for only three). Zero issues with the rental process, some minor issues upon entering the unit (missing notebook of instructions, missing two free train passes, in unit safe stopped working, unfriendly offending odors in laundry closet and strong sewer smells one night), but staff accommodating.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 870KAH2012870
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We took two grandchildren, ages 6 and 8, to see Chicago, and this worked very well for us. It's a bit far from the city, but having the "el" right across the street, bus stop a few yards away, CVS next door, and kitchen and laundry facilities in the apartment, all at a reasonable price, made it a great choice. Upscale accommodations (except the standard sofa bed, which the kids didn't mind). We all loved the big flat-screen TV. Communication with the student coordinators is not optimum beforehand, but once you're there, there is 24 hour assistance by phone - very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012