“The Flats are fantastic!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chicago
The Flats at Loyola Station
Grosse Pointe
“The Flats are fantastic!”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I have stayed at the Flats on several occasions and have had a great experience each time. It is the most convenient place to stay if visiting a student at Loyola. The apartments are upscale and well-appointed. It is always my first choice when visiting the area.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Debra D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Our family (one child) stayed here for a one week vacation. We have been to Chicago many times and were looking for an apartment or suite to enjoy a week of city living. First the pros - Competitive rates in summer. Free parking. Nice neighborhood.

Apartment is decently designed and on the newer-side. Good appliances, washer/dryer. Kitchen is stocked, but bring extra supplies if you really plan to cook. (I brought a cutting board, knife and pan.) As other reviews have mentioned, there is no dining table, just three stools at the counter. Worked for my family, but seemed strange in a two bedroom apartment. Electronics - Big TV, DVD player and Ipod doc.

The largest cons for me were dealing with the student management. I am a college professor, so I really wanted to support a college business, but reservations were unresponsive, often not answering emails for days, and I even had to argue for a refund when there was a rate change. As for the apartment itself, it could have been a lot cleaner. We are a shoes off family and our socks were black after walking around at home. It was not as clean as comparable professional hotels or vacation homes. We did run into some students on the property painting and gardening who were very friendly.

In the end, I would only return to the flats if I wanted a place to stay in that area. It is a great area, close to ethnic eateries (walking or public transport) and near the beach. But it is far from downtown and museums, and Chicago public transportation is not as fast as other cities (like NYC). Budget a half hour to get anywhere. The price, management, and cleanliness don't make up for the distance.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank raku
Hudson, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Loved staying at the Flats! The facilities are top notch with very convenient parking, wonderful kitchen, laundry in the unit, nice sitting areas inside and out, nice sized bathroom and a home like environment. We really enjoyed the convenience of it being so close to Loyola University, the businesses in Rogers Park and public transit. As mentioned before in another review, the reservation experience is unique, but seems to work very effectively. We will stay again, for sure!

1 Thank Kellie E
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We've stayed here multiple times since it opened. Our son is a student at Loyola and it is the only place to stay overnight near the campus. We've always had a great experience but we ran into some problems with this visit. I don't know if it was due to turn-over of the students (management) or what. I paid for the stay ahead of time on the website but due to printer problems I forgot to send the lease agreement for several weeks. Fortunately, they kept the reservation and sent me a reminder to send in the agreement. Good follow-up, and appreciated. Unfortunately, we never received the email "Welcome Packet" with information on how to get into the building and the room. After realizing this on my way to Chicago, I emailed (no way to contact by phone) to ask what to do. I received another email telling me they had sent the Welcome Packet but would send it again, which they did promptly. They also called my cell phone to talk to me but got my voice mail, leaving a number for me to call (which I did). I received the information before arriving in Chicago and was all set to start my stay. Again, this follow-up was appreciated. I arrived in my assigned room at about 5 or 6 pm, only to find it uncleaned from the previous tenant. I called back the number from my voicemail (it was also in the binder of information in the room) and reached someone right away. She came and gave us the identical room on a different floor. We settled in. Then we had multiple issues with the "key" working, which were resolved but we found out that they had programmed it for the wrong check out date. They resolved that only to have it malfunction again....and tell us that we had to change rooms on the second day because the room we were now in was booked. We moved back into our originally assigned room. From then on we had no problems and many apologies including some reimbursement for our troubles, all appropriate and appreciated.

Part of this visit was during "move-in" weekend and there was a lot of noise outside on Saturday night.

Although there was a LOT of inconvenience with this stay it all turned out well and we enjoyed staying there as we always do. The location is great if your destination is Loyola and the accommodations are very nice with a lot of space. The price is reasonable considering it is Chicago and there is no fee for parking. Communication only through email is a bit cumbersome and inconvenient as is the lack of anyone available IN the building when problems arise. But, the response time and professionalism are terrific. I still will recommend it to others traveling to the area but advise them of the inconveniences (email, lack of phone contact ability until in the room).

Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stumbled upon The Flats at Loyola Station online while searching for a place for me and my 5 buddies to stay while in Chicago for a weekend. I honestly don't think we could have found a better place. Steps from the "L", very updated and modern, comfortably slept 6 people, great price, DUNKIN DONUTS within steps of my door, two great bathrooms, amazing kitchen, easy parking, and provided easy access for us to get to a White Sox game as well as a Cubs game. I was a little nervous communicating only through e-mail at first, but that feeling quickly turned to calm when we had an issue with our door key code and upon calling the service number, someone was there to help us before I could even hang the phone up. We raved about this place the whole time we were there. The Loyola students had a great idea with this one, and I commend their courage to attempt a non-traditional lodging experience. I was extremely impressed.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My husband, kids and I stayed in 401 with my In-Laws. My MIL has some health limitations, oxygen, etc and requires use of the elevators. The elevators were under routine maintenance and my MIL could not get out to go to the store. One of the staff at the Flats offered to take her grocery list and go to the store for her. I thought this was an incredible act of kindness and well outside of what is required when you are visiting another city. The flat was clean and I felt like it was a home away from home. If you ever in Chicago I would recommend this as a must stay location. I honestly wouldn't stay anywhere else when going back. Great job to the staff - you should be proud of the work you are doing!!!

Room Tip: I really enjoyed 401 if you need more than 1 bedroom. The balcony was adorable with a grill and gre...
Philadelphia
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Having just spent 7 nights in room 102 at The Flats, my partner and I have nothing but great things to say about the entire experience.

Yes, the unique reservation experience is a bit, well - unique! But the staff are very receptive and will answer any and all questions you might have (albeit via email) ahead of time. The photos on their website are exactly what the rooms look like (at least room 102!).

The apartment was spotless - and featured some special touches that you wouldn't think about - like including bottle opener in the kitchen supplies as well as extra kitchen supplies (and cleaning supplies for any emergencies that might pop up during the stay).

Being a few blocks from the beach was a Godsend! We would walk to the beach most mornings for an early swim before starting our day. One suggestion would be to invest in two beach towels for each room as a courtesy. Traveling to Chicago we packed to the limit - there was no room for beach towels and no place to easily pick two up for our stay.

The info book offers a great and personal review of dining options nearby - some by foot, others a bit further. We used the guide and tried a few (after cross-referencing with Yelp)... good selections!

The Red Line being around the corner was great ... tip: use the back entrance of The Flats to/from the El - a bit quicker and just as secure.

The only issue we had was that on our final day (July 15) it sounded like they were moving furniture nonstop above us all morning long ... I first thought it was just a large family checking in - but realized that check in isn't until later in the day - perhaps it was the cleaning crew. Whatever - it was a bit overwhelming in noise level. But we were heading out for the day so we shrugged it off, etc.

I do agree about previous reviewers in regards to room 101 ... it's right by the main entrance, so if you're a light sleeper or plan to spend a LOT of time in your apartment - I'd suggest not taking that room if possible.

Congratulations to the team at Loyola for a wonderful project. We visit Chicago each July and this will be our home away from home from now on!

Room Tip: Avoid room 101 if you're a light sleeper
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhillyTraveler19147
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Super 8 Chicago IL
Lakeview
Majestic Hotel
Majestic Hotel
#54 of 190 in Chicago

Been to The Flats at Loyola Station? Share your experiences!