“One of my best meals in Chicago”
Review of Girl & The Goat

Girl & The Goat
Reserve with OpenTable
Girl & The Goat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 9,614 Restaurants in Chicago
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: West Loop
Cross street: Halsted
Transit: #8 Halsted Bus at Randolph
Description: Girl & the Goat has been serving fun foods, craft beers, and making wine in a rustic and kick-butt environment since summer 2010. The restaurant opens at 4:30 every day, and stays open until 11pm on weeknights and until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays (until those last late night eaters scrape their fork across the plate for the last time, or finish licking their plates until they're shiny and clean). The Goat's menu is divided into three categories: Vegetable, Fish, and of course Meat--while vegetable, fish, or meat are respectively the main stars of their categories, there are crossovers in each area so you'll get a little bit of everything. Bread is baked daily, and there are always new creations on the menu. Girl & the Goat sits in the West Loop smack dab in the Randolph Restaurant Corridor, but the location is still gritty enough to appeal to the chef’s integrity. The Goat has a variety of seating choices, including a comfortable lounge, bar seats, standard table seating, and four seats close enough to the kitchen line that you might be asked to help.Girl & the Goat blended their own wine, and it's tasty. There are beers on tap from Three Floyd’s and a couple others. If you're lucky, you might come across the elusive collaboration beers that Stephanie personally crafted with a couple of beer buddy cohorts. In addition to tap beers, there's also a bunch of bottles to choose from. Girl & the Goat is open 7 days a week, because The Goat is a tireless beast, and besides, who needs rest anyway? Girl & the Goat accepts reservations but always welcomes walk-ins, nomads, adventurers, and those of you who don’t like to plan.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“One of my best meals in Chicago”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

when I got there they asked me if I had a reservation (I didn't), so I was lucky that I could get a table. (reservations highly recommended).
The waitress was very nice, all smiles, and very helpful in explaining the dishes and making suggestions for me.
I got octopus and cauliflower and a very nice desert , kind of cake with some beer sauce. The total price was about U$30, which I thought was fair enough.
Food comes fast and the ambiance is very nice. Definetly one of my best meals in Chicago.

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Separate Vegetarian menu available”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Visited recently after waiting for three months for our reservation. (Apparently you can get a table on the day if you come late though).
My partner and I are vegetarian and were worried by the selection at first glance at the menu, but our waiter was super helpful in bringing us a separate vegetarian menu and making recommendations.
We ordered Old-Fashioned whiskey cocktails and watched as the bar tender muddled our drinks perfectly and used alcohol-infused cherries (Mmm!).
The food (even though vegetarian) was delicious and exciting. The atmosphere was young and lively, and it was perfect for a date night.

• Visited April 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Visited for very early 5ish dinner on a Thursday evening during my first visit to Chicago. Upon arrival the bar was hopping with only a few of the tables taken--the tables quickly filled up within the hour with people coming in after work, dates, birthdays celebrations. The service was good, they checked on the table a few times and had helpful reccomendations and explanations for some of the dishes. Some of the items tried: Bacon Gouda bread--this was ok, I could taste the gouda and a slight hint of bacon, nice crust on outside and chewy texture within, served in a round small loaf. Chickpea fritters -I thought these would be boring but they were absolutely delicious!! Chicken on top of plantain mash--another dish that I was dubious of but this was just out of this world good! I could eat a bowl of the mash on its own. Rhubarb shortcake-was very good as well. I wish I lived closer so I could return and sample more of the menu! Price for 2 drinks, a coffee and 6 dishes came out to $120 or so.

“AWESOME!!!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Loved everything, we had several dishes and shared among four of us and I think everybody was able to get a good bite of everything. My favorite was the beef tongue, lamb ribs, octopus. Cocktail choices were great too!

Visited May 2014
Calgary, Canada
“Exotic food adventure in Chicago”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Tried this place (first time) on my first visit to Chicago recently.
Heard rave reviews/recommendations beforehand, so had to give it a go.

While it's definitely good (and very inventive) food, the tastes are a bit more 'exotic' in my opinion.
Ie. if you are a foodie, then you will probably love this place for it's (interesting) taste/food combinations, however, if you are a more 'mainstream' eater - then you may find some tastes weird or quite 'strong'.

Comparing it to another similarly-priced/type of restaurant, The Purple Pig, I would have to recommend the Purple Pig over the Girl & The Goat personally.

Other people have mentioned the tables are quite 'tight', that is definitely the case if you are sitting along the far wall and/or main 'spine' divider in the restaurant.
There's literally 10-12 inches from side of your table to the other when busy!

---

We tried the following:
Lamb stuffed calamari, pan fried florida frog legs, pan roasted halibut, pork shank, goat empanadas, and a couple of the bread selections.

*FAVOURITE (MUST HAVE!) would definitely be the pan roasted halibut!

Tip: If you can't find a reservation (especially on Friday/Saturday), try using Rezhound. It's a service (free) that let's you know if any availability comes up to reserve on OpenTable!
We did this for Friday night (on Thursday), and got the reservation.