“Tastebud Explosion”
Review of Girl & The Goat

Girl & The Goat
Reserve with OpenTable
Girl & The Goat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 9,925 Restaurants in Chicago
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: West Loop
Cross street: Halsted
Transit: #8 Halsted Bus at Randolph
Description: Girl & the Goat has been serving fun foods, craft beers, and making wine in a rustic and kick-butt environment since summer 2010. The restaurant opens at 4:30 every day, and stays open until 11pm on weeknights and until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays (until those last late night eaters scrape their fork across the plate for the last time, or finish licking their plates until they're shiny and clean). The Goat's menu is divided into three categories: Vegetable, Fish, and of course Meat--while vegetable, fish, or meat are respectively the main stars of their categories, there are crossovers in each area so you'll get a little bit of everything. Bread is baked daily, and there are always new creations on the menu. Girl & the Goat sits in the West Loop smack dab in the Randolph Restaurant Corridor, but the location is still gritty enough to appeal to the chef’s integrity. The Goat has a variety of seating choices, including a comfortable lounge, bar seats, standard table seating, and four seats close enough to the kitchen line that you might be asked to help.Girl & the Goat blended their own wine, and it's tasty. There are beers on tap from Three Floyd’s and a couple others. If you're lucky, you might come across the elusive collaboration beers that Stephanie personally crafted with a couple of beer buddy cohorts. In addition to tap beers, there's also a bunch of bottles to choose from. Girl & the Goat is open 7 days a week, because The Goat is a tireless beast, and besides, who needs rest anyway? Girl & the Goat accepts reservations but always welcomes walk-ins, nomads, adventurers, and those of you who don’t like to plan.
Reviewed 1 August 2014

What a great birthday dinner! The menu is laid out to be family style dining, so my husband and I split 5 dishes between the two of us. Everything was delicious, and now I absolutely understand why you have to make reservations so far in advance. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for top notch food in an unstuffy setting. This was the best meal I've had since moving to Chicago earlier this year.

2  Thank Molly B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,765)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I had a wonderful meal at Girl and the Goat (I would hope so when reservations require more than 3 months notice). The food was excellent and service very attentive. However with the amount of hype that this place got I was merely satisfied and not blown away. The dishes (served tapas style) were excellently done and the goat dishes a nice change of pace, however on the goat belly confit I felt that the goat was an afterthought and drowned out by a lot of other strong flavors.

While I absolutely enjoyed my meal there, I am not sure I would be back right away. Too many excellent restaurants in the city to choose from. Also, pretty noisy environment.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I am updating a review from last year. Girl and the Goat remains outstanding. I especially enjoy their veggie dishes. This trip we had the broccoli, string beans and fritters. Loved the broccoli and green beans. I thought the fritters were so so. I was expecting crunchy and they were a bit mushy. The salmon was perfectly cooked and the sauce with corn was wonderful compliment. The service was decent. The waiters were friendly and went over the menu with my two dining partners who hadn't been there before. I have eaten here before with another friend and asked for a smaller portion of the dishes. This option is not on the menu, but they do have smaller portions available. However, when I asked for the smaller plates this trip I was told they were only for solo diners. I was a bit peeved, because we would have tried a few other dishes if we could have had a smaller portion. The other peeve is the waiter suggested 3 plates per person for a group. This is way too much, but at least my daughter will have another great meal today! The wine by the glass is pretty pricey. But eve with these issues I would highly recommend girl and the goat. And it goes without saying if you like goat, this is a place for you. Almost every part of the critter is on the menu. H

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Best dinner in chicago I have had in a long time. I have been coming here for years, but had not been in quite some time. With all the new places that pop up I had forgoten about it and decided to return on a Saturday night. I was glad to see that it is still a very well ran spot. I used to remember all the staff and I even still noticed a few familiar faces after all these years. That is always a good sign! Great food and great service after all this time...

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We didn't have reservations, so we listened to the reviews and arrived at 4:28 pm. The lounge was full already with others who were thinking the same thing. Fortunately, we were seated (although we did have to agree to depart by 6 pm to make room for secured reservations). The one down side is that we were seated at a communal table, which up was fine because the other four parties, like us, didn't attempt to make it a group dinner. The service is very efficient and the food arrives very quickly but we didn't feel rushed. The service by Hunter was excellent. We asked him to recommend dishes and he did. He might have been a little cautious, but we enjoyed his choices. Seeing other choices at the table, however, made us think we might have missed out on some of the best dishes. He recommended ordering four plates for a party of two. We ordered five and that was more than enough. We had the corn fed bread, roasted oysters, kohlrabi salad, goat empanadas, kalbi ribs, halibut, and budino for dessert. I would recommend skipping the bread. The salad was excellent. The ribs were a bit salty and came with pieces of corn on the cob that were not edible (maybe they were intended as a garnish). The halibut was good but rich. Definitely worth a visit, but my expectations would have been very high (and likely not met) if I had waited six weeks for a reservation (which is the wait list). The price was right at $145 for two (Including drinks and tip). We're glad we tried it.

1  Thank MidwestRoadTrips