“Wow, who new?”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: Madison
Description: From the creators of The Gage comes Henri — energetically American, French influenced. Heralded as an "instant classic", Henri offers fine dining without pretention. Under the direction of Executive Chef Chris Gawronski, Henri’s menu is influenced by the refining principles of classical cuisine. Innovative dishes like kampachi crudo join traditional favorites such as foie gras, steak tartare, Dover sole and ribeye au poivre. The tasting menu highlights the bounty of the season, accompanied by perfectly paired wines by sommelier Jason Wagner. The carefully curated wine list is almost exclusively biodynamic, while cocktails are both creative and classic. Reminiscent of a European salon, Henri provides an elegant respite from bustling Michigan Avenue.
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Great Host, food and service, who new? Here for the NRA show and booked Henri for a dinner for my wife and I. The absolute best restaurant experience for us in Chicago in twenty years.
PS We took 6 people to Gage (same owners) , next door on 5/17/14, and were blown away by the expert service again!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We've had both lunch and dinner at Henri's, and have thoroughly enjoyed both experiences. The food is fresh, well prepared, and delicious - and the decor is absolutely stunning. Also enjoyable is to sit outside in warm weather, because even though the cafe is on Michigan Ave., the artful landscaping provides privacy. Service is impeccable also. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Very nice dinner.

We had a very nice dinner at Henri last night. The food was quite good, despite some reviews which said otherwise. Both of us choose the scallops which were great. I had the Sturgeon which was very nice. My partner had the Wagyu beef which was nice as well. Wine list was nice with good variety, mostly French I note.

The souffle was memorable and as good as I have had in Paris.

The standout though was the service. The waiter was knowledgeable and courteous. The maitre'd actually ran outside and held the door of our cab while we were putting on our coats on a very cold night.

Very nice experience. Highly recommended.

1  Thank brownbody1
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This has always been our favorite restaurant in Chicago. We went for my wife's birthday. We arrived a little early and decided to have a martini at the crowded bar while we waited. Shortly, our table was ready and we sat down and ordered a bottle of wine. Now, the wine. List categories is not like anything you have ever seen before, but I knew that. But, this time I was only able to find a decent bottle that we liked for $160. Must more than at previous times. It was a great bottle, and we both had the sturgeon plus appetizer. I paid the bill, and as we were putting our coats on at the door, the bartender stated that we had not paid our bar bill. He produced a dinner check for $250. I told him that it was not mine as I had just paid $350 plus a $60 tip for $410. I told him that I would have to back to the table and view the itemized bill that I just paid. The manager finally told me not to bother. The need a new bartender that is able to communicate with the waitstaff to insure correct transfer of charges. Accosting patrons at the door negates the entire experience. I'm sure that if Billy Lawless was there that night, and not been out of town, this probably would not have happened. Unfortunately, it is no longer our favorite place in Chicago .

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Firstly, this is a beautifully appointed restaurant. They deserve 5 stars for that. It has a convenient location for tourists and businessmen alike. (Walking there at night is not recommended.) The menu is physically beautiful and has interesting items. The food is good, some dishes very good. The service is formal and polite with the hint of a friendly smile.
So why did the four of us feel that there was something not quite right? I have a sneaky suspicion that they are trying too hard to keep two kinds of customers, the under 35s and over 60s. The menu has the tradition foods of 1966 through 1988 (foie gras, steak tartare, steak au poivre, and Dover Sole (remember that?). These are interspersed with kampachi crudo, Spanish mackerel in coconut and 2010 fusions.
It is a good restaurant, and if I lived in Chicago, I would go there often. The tasting menu is $170 inclusive of paired wines. If you feel you need another taste of the wine, they do not quibble or charge. Not easy to do with high priced food and wine.
So what's wrong? Try it and see what you think. High Recommended.

1  Thank roemanner