“What a hidden gem, some of the best sushi I've ever had”
Review of Arami

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wood
Description: With a focus on freshness and quality, Arami's cuisine is a product of traditional ingredients and forward thinking technique. Representing the culture and care taken in Japanese cuisine, Arami prides itself on bringing art and enjoyment to any night of dining. At Arami's entrance is a torii gate, traditional in Japan to mark a transition, originally found outside of shrines. It is for this reason our sake bears the name: Ichi No Torii, The First Gate. Created to pair with our entire offerings and made exclusively for Arami, this sake is produced in collaboration with Omuraya Brewery in Shizuoka, Japan. --- Arami's interior can be described as a garden-like atmosphere, an urban retreat. Natural materials with an urban architectural feel make up the ambiance. Visitors are greeted in the front lounge, where our bar neatly displays our rare sake, wine and spirits selection.The Main dining room with vaulted skylight ceilings, streams light in the early hours on the tabletops, a mixture between bamboo and live-edge oak wood. The garden room, a smaller dining area toward the rear of the restaurant, is an atrium-like space with an abundance of foliage and Japanese wood engravings, perfect for Private Dining or quiet conversations.
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife found this place while I was at a conference in the city. We went the last night we were in town and I wished we'd found it sooner as I probably would have gone twice. Their fish is excellent and tasted as fresh as the fish we had earlier this year in Hawaii. The sushi was well prepared, the rolls were nicely rolled and full of flavor. I noticed a lot of "expensive" comments but I just don't agree with those comments. You get what you pay for and this fish is worth paying for.

The service was attentive and very helpful.

Atmosphere is nice but a little loud on a busy night.

Be careful you don't drive by this place. It isn't well marked from the outside but when you get in, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

You think you've had sushi. This is not that. Arami is something totally different and unique. With a casual atmosphere, charming and knowledgeable servers, top notch and very friendly chefs and owners, you'll wish you could spend every night here. And then comes the food! Like nothing I've ever eaten. It's truly sexy food. The presentation is gorgeous and intentional. The texture of the food is luscious, and the flavors are divine and purposeful. Every detail has been considered and then executed almost effortlessly. Good intention just flows thru the place. I have never seen a menu like this, its so different and intriguing - you're willing (and eager) to go wherever they want to take you that night.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

I guess I will say this, I enjoyed myself and thought the food here was really pretty good until the bill came. Couldn't believe how expensive it was and I am not a cheap guy when it comes to dinner. For me, if they lowered their prices a little and made the restaurant feel a little more like a neighborhood spot (since it is in one and not downtown) then I would be more accepting of it. The food was good though so I will give them that.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

Since this place opened I've expected it to close, it looks so small from the outside. How wrong! Inside it keeps going to the back of the property line. Decor is modern, open, bright and inviting. The sushi bar is open and you can watch chefs prepare the food. We chose some specialty sashimi items and it was well above the board of quality. Fresh, tasty, good wine and sake list by the glass, excellent service. Very much enjoyed and will be back there soon. Not inexpensive, but good sushi never is. Reminds me of Ohba which used to be in the SmallBar space on Division. Classic, classy, fresh and unusually authentic.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

While the outside of the restaurant and the neighborhood might not seem super enticing this is by far the best and freshest sushi in the city. They have fabulous service and amazing, unique rolls. The sushi reminds me of the fresh fish I've had in places like Vancouver. A def must visit in Chicago if you want to enjoy some of the best sushi in Chicago.