“There is a reason why this restaurant is never full!”

Nick's Fishmarket Grill
Ranked #1,587 of 9,882 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Orleans
Transit: Merchandise Mart on Purple and Brown Lines
Description: Established in 2010. Upholding the tradition of fresh seafood and excellent service, Nick's has served as a dining destination in the Chicago area for the last 35 years. We're committed to providing you with the same great flavors and service that we have offered our guests since the day we opened our doors. Nick"s Fishmarket Grill offers expertise in seafood preparation in a Casual yet chic dining experience. Located in the Chicago Merchandise Mart, the Grill is perfect for lunch, dinner or Happy Hour cocktails and features a menu of shareable starters and daily fresh fish selections. Whether you're dining for business or pleasure, Nick's Fishmarket Grill extends a first class dining experience with outstanding ambiance and service.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This restaurant is located inside the Merchandise Mart Plaza, one of the largest office buildings in the nation with numerous tenants, including Motorola. it is odd that this restaurant is not full especially after the winter we had since it is the only place within the building that is actually full service and not a food court establishment.

When meeting friends for lunch or an after work cocktail, Nick's is never on the top of our list. The food is really good and presented extremely well and if you are willing to pay a bit more than going to the food court or don't want to travel outside the building this place would be ideal. The exception to this is the service and the pricing of the drinks. Each time I have been to this restaurant I am always sticker shocked with the alcohol portion when we receive our bill and this last time was no exception. Why would a pint of beer should be $15 or event the $9 my friend paid. My food didn't even cost as much! Nick's was promoting their craft beer specials for the annual Chicago Craft Beer week with special pricing for flights and pints from a local craft brewery stating "starting at $4 for pints". When we questioned the bill, we received answers "it is due to the limited amount the beer is made" which is not true it is one of the typical beers that is produced. The service person stated she should have warned us of the special price. We then heard that the answer is the amount of alcohol content, which is not a good answer either. We called afterwards to speak to a manager thinking the service person was in fact incorrect and was too afraid to involve a manager. When I stated I was surprise that I paid such a significant amount for a beer that I know I can purchase in other establishments at a lesser price that is when I was told we need to call corporate headquarters to discuss with the beverage manager that does the pricing.

As a former restaurant manager I would whole heartily do everything in my power to correct this situation. I would have taken the customer's phone number and made the call to corporate myself, I would have given my business card to return for a future visit and I would also train my employees how to sell the "craft beer" menu so there are not any surprise that would scare people from my restaurant from future visits.

If you decide to venture to Nick's, please do yourself a favor and ask about pricing of anything you order - you will be doing yourself a huge favor as all of the exceptions are not either listed or are in very small print!

1  Thank jmcm3

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great lunch place for business or friends.
Try a cup of the oldster soup to start.
Greatly enjoyed my fish tacos served with skinny fries.
I will be back

Reviewed 24 April 2014

In town for the night, looking for a quiet fish restaurant within walking distance off the hotel. Great choices of fish with multiple prep options. Had the blackened Talapia and it was excellent as was the special salad. Service was quick and excellent. The place was about half full on a Tuesday night with comfortable bancet seating and a quiet atmosphere. Certainly go back the next time I'm in town.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

This review is especially for those who have been to Nick's before.

I have been to Nick's Fishmarket many times, both in Rosemont and downtown Chicago. My last visit to Nick's "downtown" was about 4 years ago when they were at a different location (although I've been to Nick's in Rosemont several times since then). Sadly to say, the was NOT the Nick's that I'd grown used to. I planned our weekend visit to Chicago as a surprise birthday trip for my wife's cousin. I was given free reign to choose the places to eat and a hotel so that the trip would be a "surprise". Of all of the wonderful places to eat in Chicago, I chose Nick's for our Saturday night dinner, based on previous experience at Nick's. I was not only disappointed, but frankly embarrassed.

I don't think that I realized that Nick's had changed locations, but the location change really wasn't the problem. The Merchandise Mart was convenient to get to and, interestingly, parking was a little confusing (as it was "around back" on a ramp), but easy and convenient. The ambiance was totally different than the "old" Nick's and the Nick's in Rosemont. It was modern as opposed to traditional and, while it was not what I had wanted, it was "OK". However, there were only about 6 - 12 tables with diners, so there was certainly NO energy in Nick's.

The waitress had great intentions, but it was clear that she was inexperienced and lacked the professionalism that I had expected. We enjoy relaxing then ordering food, but felt rushed until I finally told her that I'd let her know when we were ready to order. The wine list was practically non-existent and it's probably the smallest wine list I've ever seen at what I previously had considered an above the average restaurant. The liquor prices were higher than I expected (and believe me, I've been places where martinis are $15) for what "we got" and ultimately were a factor in what we ordered and what we [didn't] order as a second round.

Despite all of these significant issues, I was ready for Nick's seafood, which was the main reason we came to Nick's in the first place. The food was a bitter disappointment when it finally arrived and, while I'd consider it "average" it really was no better than that.

I personally had the mixed grill: shrimp, scallops, sea bass, and grouper. The sad thing was that neither I nor one in our group who ordered the same dish could not tell the difference between the sea bass and the grouper - - it should have been extremely obvious, especially to someone who knows the difference. To this date, I still don't know which was which.

We learned later that the location was catering to the lunch crowd, and perhaps had we chosen to come to Nick's for lunch we would have been pleased. But, for what was supposed to be a "special dinner" Nick's was a bitter disappointment. I am not sure what would persuade me to return to NIck's Fishmarket Grill again, and, there is no question that I would never recommend this restaurant to friends.

2  Thank DStepnick
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I visited this restaurant a handful of times, and each time I had the same dish, peanut sauce Ahi Tuna, so I cannot speak for other dishes. Each time the dish was very very good, I guess you can't screw up raw tuna. Once they ran out of rice, so they gave me salad instead of rice. When I found a hair in the food they did not charge me for the dish. The restaurant closes early in the evening on weekdays since it is in the business district. The ambiance is good, and the service is also good. Restaurant is expensive, it cost me on an average $40 per meal.