“Different!”

Chicago Pedway Walking Tour
Ranked #16 of 186 Tours in Chicago
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: If you're looking for a Chicago walking tour that is fun, inspiring and inexpensive, you are looking at the right place! I'm Margaret, 10-year veteran tour guide, comedian and your personal insider to this awesome city. My 20-year improv experience guarantees that you will get a tour that is entertaining, full of awesome stories and info and not your average scripted recitation. I work hard to make sure my facts are spot on and I promise you I've never given the same tour twice, each group has it's own personality. I keep my groups small and my ideas BIG. Check out my site for more tours and let me know if you have any questions about your trip to Chicago! (Oooh, you can do a private tour too! Just ask!)
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Not the dank, neglected tunnels I thought we might experience, but a series of mainly underground walkways linking some places we'd already discovered with many we hadn't. And you do pop up in some interesting places including the Daley Center, City/County Hall and the Illinois Center. You even get to see a place Batman tore through on his bike on the way to confront the Joker in The Dark Knight. Margaret makes you feel really welcome from the outset. She knows her stuff and makes this an entertaining experience. Definitely recommended.

1  Thank Heenry

Reviewed 17 April 2012

When you take a tour with a BIG company, you get the standard corporate tour with the standard tour guide. When you take a tour with Margaret and her company (she owns it) you get somebody that is passionate, warm, and fun to spend 1 1/2 hours with.

Before I signed up with this tour, I had no idea what a segway even was- now I not only know what a pedway is, but also so much more knowledge of the city of Chicago. Margaret does a wonderful job walking the tour around the pedway system, not spending too much time at any one particular spot and does so with so much energy and passion that you rarely see with one of those "big" tour companies. You are indoors the entire time, so dress appropriately (in layers) - the tour ends at the Cultural Center which is truly an amazing place- so plan on spending at least another hour after the tour hanging around. She only does this tour twice a week, so plan accordingly- Great job!

1  Thank scores11
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Margaret had a real challenge on this tour. My wife and brother, two daughters in their 20s and the fact that I am a tour guide from Philadelphia!! This was our first trip to Chicago and we really wanted an introduction that would give us an idea of what else to do on our visit. Margaret was a lot of fun, so informative, and answered all our questions. She is full of energy and had some great detail about the architecture, but was also equally at home in the neighborhood of Old Town and on the El. We all fell in love with her passion for the city and would certainly recommend a tour with Margaret as a great way to start out a long weekend in this great city. Thanks Margaret!

1  Thank Andy M
Chicagoelevated, Owner at Chicago Elevated, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Andy! It was so much fun to take you and your family out, thank you so much for the review. And hey everyone! If you're in Philly, check out Andy. He's a ton of fun!

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Margaret's tour is fantastic.......the plain fact that many long time Chicagoans don't even know about the Pedway amazes me! This tour will leave you wanting to follow Margaret around all day long. We were actually sorry the tour was over. We wanted her to keep going. The one thing that amazed me about her is how well her voice carries to her entire group, without having to screech or yell. Her volume was always perfect and it was always easy to hear what she was saying. I can't wait to return to Chicago to take many of her other tours. She is a gem, and her tours are a must!

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Stumbled upon this while looking for a walking tour of Chicago and was really intrigued by the idea that Chicago had a bunch of walkways beneath all the skyscrapers. This is not what I was expecting, it’s amazing down there. I was sorta expecting a dark, damp Victorian era tunnel which stinks of urine, but it’s not, it’s another warm clean shiny city hidden beneath the skyscrapers, if you’re a visitor to Chicago you would probably never even find the entrance (or the way out) but thankfully Margaret the guide is brilliant and knows it inside out and she’s got more funny facts and stories than you can shake a stick at. Do this tour you won’t regret it!

3  Thank Baronation