“Where NOT to Eat at the Lyric Opera”

Florian Opera Bistro
Ranked #3,844 of 9,835 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Neighbourhood: Downtown / The Loop
Reviewed 8 February 2011

There are few restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the Lyric Opera, so we thought we would give the Florian Opera Bistro a chance since it is located inside the Opera. Oh my, what a mistake. The dinner started well, as we arrived without a reservation but were promptly and politely seated. The room has some opera pictures around and while the tables are close together, it is really not that bad ambiance. The waiter arrived and we ordered a nice bottle of Napa Pinot Noir for $40. It is really good that we did this since our experience would have really been a disaster were it not for the wine. There were two so called specials, but since we are not meat eaters, we opted for their regular fare. My friend had a vegetable tart, which was very small, very much out of a box, and very bad. I had a triple open faced sandwich, which was awful, salmon, egg plant and an added salmon to replace the meat I don't eat. The sandwich as the tart are served cold, with a small amount of salad that seems as if it is from a Trader Joe's bag. The sandwich was miniscule, the salmon even smaller, and the eggplant non descript. We were so hungry we opted for desert. My friend's macaroons, while store bought, were actually good. My apple tart had three tiny pieces of apple and a creation on top that was sort of a take on the roof of the Pritzker Pavilion designed by Gehry. It tasted store bought. The sandwich and tart were both $12.50 and the deserts $6 and $7.50. The bill with tip and wine totalled $105. This was the absolute worst dinner I ever had in Chicago. It is such a shame because the Lyric Opera is wonderful, and if they hired a chef they could make this bistro into something Chicago could be proud of. Now it is a total disaster for food, taking advantage of their captive audience. My strong advice is to eat elsewhere and stay away from this place until they fix it.

2  Thank zabriskibound