“Chic Hotel in upscale loop location”

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
Ranked #24 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 December 2011

This hotel (located at 225 n Columbus not 221) opened Nov 1 2011 and can best be described as euro-chic. Mod interiors in nice sized rooms each with a balcony and decent if not awesome view. The hotel shares amenities with the condo above which is a bonus: oversized health club, indoor and outdoor pools. Easy walking distance to Millennium Park, Navy Pier and the Mag Mile. Watch for specials and discounts for great value stays!

• Stayed: December 2011
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Thanks you so much for the wonderful review! I am very happy that you enjoyed the hotel and facilities and that you took the time to leave us a comment. The hotel's address is 221 N Columbus Drive. 225 is the address for the apartments and condos within the building; I am sorry if this caused you any inconvenience or frustration. Thanks again for the review!

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel

Reviewed 17 December 2011

Ultra modern new hotel in the heart of Chicago. Very clean, friendly staff and an excellent adjoining restaurant called Fillinis. Will be back for sure.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2011

Thank you for the wonderful review! I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel, restaurant and the modern design! We hope to see you on your next trip to the city!

Reviewed 16 December 2011

Stayed on weekend of 12/9. The rooms seem to be split into two types, a more natural wood, and then a very modern "mansion" style (it's interesting, but not quite in our taste). My wife needs a bath, and the staff was very gracious in accommodating our request (which resulted in a change to the more neutral style which we preferred).

The design is very interesting, especially the lobby area. We had a family gathering, and the kids (ages 6-to-15) all really enjoyed it, along with access to the pool and a very excellent gym.

The bathroom design is not perfect; in our case a sliding door was the main barrier from the bath to the living area of the room and it is not exactly a full seal, ha. Not a huge problem, but not a ton of privacy either. Oh well, our 6 year old didn't mind too much.

The restaurant was great in our opinion, with the menu being quite good and not overly expensive (in my opinion, especially for breakfast vs. the Fairmont across the street which I personally think is very overpriced).

Our room was fairly quiet, especially considering we were close to an elevator. I slept fairly soundly, and usually we don't sleep all that well in hotels on the first night. Obviously being brand new, the room was spotless and super clean.

The best part was truly the staff. All weekend, EVERY staff member (and I mean everyone, even random bellboys we met handling luggage on the elevators) seemed genuinely proud of the new hotel and wanted us to have a good visit. They couldn't have been more friendly and that made for a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2011

I can't thank you enough for your wonderful review! I am thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your time at the hotel! I am glad that you got the opportunity to try both room types and that the staff was so accomodating to meet your needs. I have passed along your comments to my entire team here and we are truly honored that you took the time to leave us such high remarks! We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 16 December 2011

Loved the look and feel of this hotel. From the start everyone who worked here was extremely friendly. Some small issues with no soaps in the shower and items missing in the mini fridge but that was not enough to take away from the sleek newness of the hotel and the comfort of the room. And its the hubbys new favorite spot.

• Stayed: December 2011

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! I am very glad that you enjoyed your time at the hotel! I also apologize for the issues that you mentioned. I am glad that we have the opportunity to correct these concerns so that we can really "wow" you on your next visit! Thanks again!

Reviewed 13 December 2011

I was very impressed with this hotel, especially for being open less than a month. The building itself is an architectural wonder and the interior is beautiful to match. The lobby features a classic brick wall, contrasted by a modern fireplace wall. The front desk is unobtrusively set off to the side, and you almost don't see it when walking in.

I stayed in a "Naturally cool" room, which was very bright and well laid out. There was plenty of storage space. The mattress was very comfortable and the linens very soft and fresh. The bath featured separate tub and shower as well as dual flush toilet. My only complaints with the room were that the bathroom door was a slider and didn't seem to shut completely and that there is only one towel rack on the shower door and no hooks from which to hang towels.

The pool was a nice two lane lap pool. The whirlpool was very small, however. Even with the outdoor pool and whirlpool open during summer, I can see these areas being very crowded. Also, there were no towels in the pool area. We had to go up to the room to grab some and then this shorted us in the room after a shower. I mentioned this towel issue and they said they are working on a fix for the pool towels.

The are many Eco- conscious friendly features in the hotel, from the motion sensitive lights that to the dual flush toilet. Additionally, the hotel information is on the TV rather than printed out, saving reprints when some of the information changes.

Once this property gets over it's opening issues, it will be among the best in Chicago. The location with views of Navy Pier, Millennium Park and it's close proximity (2 blocks) from Michigan Avenue, make it a winner.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and that you liked the "Natrurally Cool" design! I am also glad that you noticed some our eco-conscience elements! Thanks again for taking the time to leave us a review; we hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 12 December 2011

We spent a weekend in Chicago on a Groupon voucher. The location was excellent. Blu Aqua is less than a block from Millenium Park and the Chicago Art Institute. The room was immaculate and modern. It's really a beautiful building inside and out. Everything worked. No surprises on the bill. The Filini bar had excellent, Italian-inspired food and drink. There were minor issues. The shower can be susceptible to overflowing due to its design. The elevator bank marked as working seemed to change each day (the hotel's less than a month old). There seemed to be a limit of one wifi device per room. If you can't handle sirens, don't stay downtown because EVERY hotel I've ever stayed at in downtown Chicago is in the vicinity of a police station, fire station, or hospital. However, the stay was at least as pleasant as any other I've had at a good four-star hotel in Chicago.

1  Thank Colin L
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2011

Thank you for the review; I am really glad that you enjoyed the building, location and service! I hope that you will return to the hotel again soon!

Reviewed 12 December 2011

I was intrigued by the exterior of this building since it's completion and really wanted to check out the (new to the U.S.) Radisson Blu brand. Overall, I had a very good experience. As other reviewers mentioned, there were a few "new hotel" miscues. Once these issues are resolved, this will be among the top hotels in Chicago.

The interiors are well done and while the room wasn't large, I didn't feel cramped. It is very well laid out and ergonomically friendly.

Some of the pros and cons mentioned below might be related to the hotel being part of a larger condo space and having shared amenities.

Pros:

-Comfortable bed and soft linens. Many pillow choices on bed

-Clean room

-Quiet building- was near elevator and ice machine but didn't hear either

-Bathroom is well designed with separate bath and large shower

-Friendly, un-obtrusive staff

-Great, accessible location. Easy walk to Michigan Avenue and very easy walk to Millenium Park

-Biggest fitness club I've ever seen- it's about 20 times larger than any hotel fitness room I've been in.

-Great outdoor space with large walking track

Cons:

-No towels at pool

-Indoor whirlpool is REALLY small and states a limit of 3 people. There is also an outdoor whirlpool near the outdoor pool which will be nice when it's warmer.

-Sliding door for bathroom didn't really close it off enough and sound traveled out of bathroom

-Not enough towels in room to compensate for having to use them in pool area

All in all, I recommend this hotel for it's cleanliness, friendly service and location.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a high floor, with balcony
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review! I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you would reccomend it to others! The fitness center is one of my favorite areas as well--it really offers people a large variety and quality workout. We are still adding some additional features including towels in the fitness area so hopefully some of your cons will soon disappear. I hope that your next visit is even more enjoyable!