“Perfect location in a great city and an architectural delight”

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
Ranked #27 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This ideally located hotel could not be better situated for taking advantage of Chicago's Magnificent Mile and for access to the must-do Architectural Foundation boat tours. The building's design is getting a lot of buzz. Staff is eager to please. Lots of innovative technology incorporated.

Room Tip: Join the Carlson club to increase likelihood of an upgrade. We received a very low price (Hampton...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments! I am thrilled that you had a great stay and enjoyed our location and facilities! I hope that we see you again soon!

Reviewed 9 July 2012

great location, had breakfast and dinnner at the hotel restaurant, Filini's. We thought the food and service were excellent.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for your review! I couldn't be happier that you had a great stay and enjoyed your meal in Filini! I hope we see you again soon!

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Pierre was responsive after I filled out the survey and let him know of the issues, I also let the front desk know of the issues. 3 minor issues that should not happen in this high end property. The location and room were excellent. The food during the conference was excellent. The balcony, bathroom, work area and bed were all better than expected. Make sure to get a balcony to appreciate your stay.

3 minor issues:
1. room would not cool due to 100% booked and 100 degree outside temperatures.
2. water provided near entrance, but no glasses available. I notified the guys at the door before my run in the morning and they said "ok, yeah" and continued their conversation. When I returned from my run (awesome to run by the lake and Grant Park) still no glasses. Went to the bar and found 2 workers socializing, they could not understand why I needed a glass of water. They said that they would attend to the glass / water issue.
3. Conference meeting at 530 PM was listed on the pool patio deck, we knew that with the wind that it would have to be moved indoors. We called the operator / front desk at 529 PM and asked where it would be held. The employee stated that it would not be moved and that no other location was available. We headed downstairs to find someone in the lobby who directed us to the conference area for the moved reception. After returning to our room that evening we had an email from the conference at 528 PM telling us where to go for the reception. I don't understand the lack of communication / lack of trying to find an answer / not knowing your hotel information and the attached attitude.

One of the conference attendees asked us about the room, they were unfamiliar with the Radisson Blu so they stayed at a nearby hotel to avoid the risk of an unfamiliar hotel. We did sing the praises of the room and hotel in general.

Recommend? Yes. Assume that Pierre will change staff attitudes? Yes.

Room Tip: get a balcony. Take time to appreciate the park and lake.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I assure you my team and I have been working diligently to ensure a similar situation to yours does not happen again and I cannot apologize enough that our team was not helpful during your stay. I am confident that we will be able to recoup your confidence in us during your next visit. Thanks again!

Reviewed 8 July 2012

I have stayed at this location a week after opening last year. As I am traveling overseas soon for an extended period, I decided to take my 3-yr daughter for three nights to do. . . well fun stuff. Navy Pier, Millennium Park, Sears Tower (yes, people that live in the Chicagoland area still call it that) and watch the fireworks from our lake view balcony.

Overall my experience was great, although the temperatures hovered around 100 F. As with any 3-yr, my daughter wanted to go to pool A LOT. Prior to checking in, I spoke to the chief concierge and he assured me there is a smaller pool for kids. Agreed, there is. However, unbeknownst to the concierge, each time I ventured to the pool, sadly it was a 20 something year old drunken fest. At one point, there were over 15 young adults in the kid's pool attempting to play volleyball (with no net and while holding a beer in one hand). Eventually, we managed to swim, but I have to admit I was turned off by this sight. I did not report this to the hotel. The hotel shares the pool with those that live in the Aqua Tower so I cannot place blame on the Radisson entirely.

As for the room, it was spotless, lovely and fully functional. The hotel upgraded me to a beautiful view of the lake.

I would certainly stay here again and may do so in October. For those of you who have children and want to use the pool, I want to set your expectations on what you may see, especially on the weekends.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Scott H
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for returning to the hotel and leaving us a review. I am happy that you had an enjoyable time and that you room was spotless. I have shared your compliments with our housekeeping team. I would, however, like to apologize for the issues you experienced with the pool. We are working diligently to create a solution for issues such as this and I am truly sorry for any disappointment we caused for you. I wish you the best while traveling overseas and hope that we will see you again in October. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Very nice hotel in great Chicago location. Nice restaurant and bar also. Rooms with balcony and great amenities.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LKC614
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for your review! I am happy to see that you had a nice time at the hotel!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

This hotel is stunning! I was following the construction of the project last year and couldn't wait to get a chance to stay there. The exterior is unique with it's undulating balconies and a lot of the rooms have access to them. Taking in views of the city from my 11th floor balcony was something I had never done before at a hotel. The lobby is beautifully designed with luxe finishes and furnishings. The rooms are great, too. The hotel offers two different styles of rooms, so you may choose what type of ambiance you enjoy. The beds were comfortable and the rain shower was relaxing. I did not utilize the staff often but when we did interact they were professional and accommodating. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony. Not all of them have one and it doesn't cost any extra.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for the review! I couldn't be happier that you have been following our progress and have now had the opportunity to stay with us! I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities and the view from the balcony! I hope that we see you again soon; thanks again!

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed here for three days with my wife and we enjoyed it immensely. I second all the positive features pointed out by other guests: convenient location, cleanliness, reasonable price, amenities, free wi-fi, etc. The only drawback was the lateness of the maid service. On July 1, the room was not yet made up at 3:30. I called housekeeping and was told the attendant would be right up. She showed up at 4:30. The next day, after a hot, six-hour-long bike tour along the lake front, we returned to the room at 3:15 hoping to shower and rest before heading out to dinner. The attendant arrived at 4:00. Like the previous day, we had to vacate the room while she cleaned up. A minor inconveniece, but one that prevents me from giving an "excellent" rating. Overall, we'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Thank you for leaving us a review. I am happy that you enjoyed your overall experience at the hotel, and we very much appreciate you sharing your comments. I would, however, like to apologize that there was a delay in servicing your room. I am truly sorry for any inconvenience this caused for you. I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the city.