“Nice Decor”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice Decor”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Very nice amenities like the toiletries in the bathroom to the walkout porch. Can't wait for summer to see the outdoor pool and patio space! We will be back soon and highly recommend this hotel when downtown Chicago.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for your review! I am happy that you loved your experience with us including the decor and balconies. We look forward to welcoming you back this summer. Thanks again!

Pierre-Louis Giacotto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Onsala, Sweden
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The hotel is excellent, the comfort and cleanliness of the room outstanding and the free wifi very much appreciated. But the biggest surprise was the really great fitness center; lots of space and with 8 treadmills there is almost always one that is free to use....

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for your review! I couldn't be happier that you loved your stay with us! I am glad that you were pleasantly surprised but both the complimentary internet and the fitness center. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Surprise trip to the city from the suburbs over Valentines weekend was such a wonderful experience. Everyone was so happy, professional and friendly going above and beyond. The pleasant conversation and treating us as if we were someone special added to such a beautiful ambience. Kristin in the coffee bar was so sweet, the restaurant staff were ALL so nice and attentive. Such a beautiful hotel and on a cold, dreary weekend in February brightened our mood and was the answer to our winter gloom. Thank you to everyone at Blu Agua

Room Tip: We had a city/river view and although it was nice (you can city the river in between other buildings...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for spending Valentine's Day with us! I am thrilled that we helped brighten up this long winter, and I will share your compliments with Kristin. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 February 2014

One of us stayed at the Radisson Blu during a recent business trip to attend a professional meeting at the nearby Hyatt Regency. I have stayed at that Hyatt before, and it is a not a pleasant experience. I was planning to book at the Swissotel (also nearby) but was struck by the very positive TripAdvisor reviews of the Radisson Blu and decided to take a chance. Overall, I was very impressed with this special and distinctive property. But they also have one unforgivable (albeit small) policy that keeps me from rating it a 5.

The positives are many: The building is very new, the rooms are quite contemporary and beautiful, with wood floors and a marvelous bed. The room was nicely sized and very functional. I had a room with a large balcony and a great view--wish it had not been a very cold weekend in Chicago. The staff were wonderfully welcoming and helpful. The lobby is beautiful and distinctive, and includes an enormous (and I do mean enormous) fireplace. I wish I had had the chance to eat in their signature restaurant, Filini, which gets great reviews and is in a gorgeous space. They have a terrific Lavazza coffee stand, which is a nice change from the usual hotel coffee stands--the only downside is that the stand closes at noon.

Services at the hotel are somewhat scant. There did not appear to be a gift shop and no vending machines (more on that later). It did have a sense of isolation that can be both good and bad. The hotel is connected to others (including the Hyatt, the Fairmont, and the Swissotel) by an underground Pedway that allows one to go from one to another without a coat even in the coldest of weather.

Finally, the unforgivable that caused me to give this beautiful hotel only a 4 instead of the 5 it would readily warrant otherwise: My night of arrival I decided to have a can of Diet Coke from the minibar in the room. Yes, I was expecting a ripoff price (it turned out to be $4.00 for the can, once I figured out that the minibar pricing was on the TV menu). When I checked out, I was charged $5.40 for the can because they also add a "19% restocking fee" and tax. What a damn shame. It is not the money but rather what their practice signals to supposedly valued guests. I really liked this place, but this practice, so trivial and small potatoes, indicates a desire to take advantage of their guests instead of being focused on customer service. Maybe this is something that bugs me only, but I do hope that management reconsiders this practice. Ironically, they provided free internet, which is not generally the case at luxury hotels in downtown areas.

Overall, this is a pretty special and different place to stay--very distinct from and better than the usual bland convention hotel. I would be happy to stay there again. I'm sorry to be so hard on them for one minor practice, but it truly is offensive to me.

Room Tip: The balconies are very large and give great views of Chicago. I chose a balcony room (slightly more...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bruce-Carol B
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. I am happy that you loved the design of the hotel and lobby and that you found the pedway system to be helpful for your meetings. I am also gald that you were able to enjoy your balcony even on a cold Chicago day. I would, however, like to apologize that you were disappointed with the minibar pricing. I assure you our pricing is competitive for the area and the pricing and fees are not designed to upset our guests. I am truly sorry that this was not the case during your stay. We do also offer vending machines on our amenity floors as well as beverage service through the restaurant and in room dining. I apologize again for any disappointment you experienced and hope that you will return in the future.

Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This was our second visit to the Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel. We were a little more discerning this time than during our first visit, probably because we were so impressed with the beauty of the hotel the first time. On the positive side, as stated, it's a lovely property, both in the lobby and the rooms. The beds are comfortable and clean, and we slept well. The food is very good. On the negative side, the room is not especially comfortable. We stayed both times in the corner room. There is one uncomfortable chair in the room, not really suitable for relaxing (although it looks great). The lighting and how to operate it could be explained better. The drain stopper lever in the bathroom sink didn't work; once down, it stayed there. We called for maintenance, which improved its operation, but didn't solve it. We called for more towels, specifically asking for the quantities and types we needed. We received many more hand towels and bath towels than we asked for, with no washcloths or bath mat, which we did ask for. The signage outside is poor, as it's not obvious where to park for the valet, or to park oneself, or even where to get a cab. It's this lack of attention to detail that will cause this property's popularity to eventually decline. I'll be staying elsewhere in future.

1 Thank MD060703
Thank you for you returning to the hotel and leaving us a a review. I am truly sorry that you were disappointed with your experience and that we missed some details during your stay. I am sharing your concerns with our team so that we can rectify the problem and also better train our staff. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. I hope that you will reconsider returning so we can recoup your confidence in us.

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We love staying at the Radisson Blu downtown...location is fantastic and the hotel is top notch from staff to amenities.
Make your vacation fabulous by staying here....convenient....so much to do...that is FREE for families...dining mecca... you can walk....bike...take the EL..or DIVVY...and lastly parks and lots of green space...close to Lake Michigan too..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review! I couldn't be happier that you and your family had a fantastic stay at the hotel or that our location and amenities were perfect for your needs. I hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Chicago!

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

As soon as you walk into the building the atmosphere is very elegant and the service at the concierge counter was exceptional. Upon entering the room we were immediately impressed by the excellent views of the city, lake and Navy Pier. The rest of the room was immaculate and the feel of it was way above the price point. The Italian restaurant, Filini; in the lobby was phenomenal and service to match. I would say this was one of the best values in hotels/resorts ive stayed at. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2014
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thanks for your review! I am thrilled that you loved the design of both the hotel and your guest room! I am also happy that you enjoyed Filini! I will be sure to share your compliments with our team. I hope to welcome you back soon!