“Better than Sofitel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Chicago, Illinois
“Better than Sofitel”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Our stay at Radisson Blu was everything we could have hoped for and more. One of the cleanest, most tastefully designed hotels we have ever stayed at. The rooms are a nice size, have hardwood floors, simple white bedding, and great views. I wish we could transport the bathroom into my home - absolutely beautiful. We didn't interact with much staff, but when we did, they were professional and courteous. The foyer/lounge had cozy seating by a fireplace that extended the length of the lobby. The pool and hot tub were great entertainment for the kids in this long winter, and I've heard that the outdoor pool and surrounding area is absolutely lovely in the summer. We would certainly love to come back and experience summer at the Radisson Blu. Very impressed with this hotel and would absolutely recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 399annaw
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for your review! I can't tell you how much we appreciate your kind words about our rooms and amenities. I hope that we have another opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Pierre-Louis Giacotto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My girlfriend and I recently visited the Radisson Blu for 3 days over the Valentines weekend. What a hotel! We arrived late on the Friday afternoon to very welcoming door staff - Bob especially kept us entertained throughout our visit and were greeted by a very cheery and professional concierge service. I'm not sure if we got a room upgrade, or whether all of the rooms are to this high standard, but the spacious and spotlessly clean room were a welcome change from the cramped conditions we had in New York days previously.

The facilities the hotel has to offer are second to none and it doesn't surprise me that there are full time residents within the building. I especially enjoyed spending time in the gym and the basketball court, whilst my girlfriend loved the close proximity to the near by shopping mall and the navy pier.

Unfortunately due to the worst weather in a very long time, the outdoor running track and outdoor pool were closed for the season, but the indoor pool was ample - it would have been nicer if the sauna and steam room were on the same floor as the pool, but beggers cant be choosers.

The bar downstairs and room service were of a very good quality, and we would happily have used them most days if it wasn't for the excellent choices of restaurants in the downtown Chicago area. Due to time constraints we weren't able to dine in the hotel restaurant, but it always seemed packed out, which is always a good sign.

Due to the aforementioned bad weather, our flight was cancelled to return home, but all concierge staff were incredibly helpful helping us rearrange flights and connections to the airport and also managing to hold our room for an extra night at a very small cost.

It was the perfect way to end our 10 day trip to America. Thanks for the experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you for your review! I could not be happier that you had such a wonderful stay and that we were the perfect ending to your trip to America! I am glad that you enjoyed the gym and basketball court and that our location was perfect for your needs. I will be sure to share your compliments with Bob and the team! I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Yolanda in the bar is an asset. I stopped in for lunch and had an amazing entrée due to her recommendation. She was detailed in her help with the menu as well as how the food is prepared. She rocks !!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed your experience at Filini Bar, and I will share your compliments with Yolanda. I hope that we have another opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Very nice amenities like the toiletries in the bathroom to the walkout porch. Can't wait for summer to see the outdoor pool and patio space! We will be back soon and highly recommend this hotel when downtown Chicago.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review! I am happy that you loved your experience with us including the decor and balconies. We look forward to welcoming you back this summer. Thanks again!

Onsala, Sweden
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The hotel is excellent, the comfort and cleanliness of the room outstanding and the free wifi very much appreciated. But the biggest surprise was the really great fitness center; lots of space and with 8 treadmills there is almost always one that is free to use....

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for your review! I couldn't be happier that you loved your stay with us! I am glad that you were pleasantly surprised but both the complimentary internet and the fitness center. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Surprise trip to the city from the suburbs over Valentines weekend was such a wonderful experience. Everyone was so happy, professional and friendly going above and beyond. The pleasant conversation and treating us as if we were someone special added to such a beautiful ambience. Kristin in the coffee bar was so sweet, the restaurant staff were ALL so nice and attentive. Such a beautiful hotel and on a cold, dreary weekend in February brightened our mood and was the answer to our winter gloom. Thank you to everyone at Blu Agua

Room Tip: We had a city/river view and although it was nice (you can city the river in between other buildings...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for spending Valentine's Day with us! I am thrilled that we helped brighten up this long winter, and I will share your compliments with Kristin. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 February 2014

One of us stayed at the Radisson Blu during a recent business trip to attend a professional meeting at the nearby Hyatt Regency. I have stayed at that Hyatt before, and it is a not a pleasant experience. I was planning to book at the Swissotel (also nearby) but was struck by the very positive TripAdvisor reviews of the Radisson Blu and decided to take a chance. Overall, I was very impressed with this special and distinctive property. But they also have one unforgivable (albeit small) policy that keeps me from rating it a 5.

The positives are many: The building is very new, the rooms are quite contemporary and beautiful, with wood floors and a marvelous bed. The room was nicely sized and very functional. I had a room with a large balcony and a great view--wish it had not been a very cold weekend in Chicago. The staff were wonderfully welcoming and helpful. The lobby is beautiful and distinctive, and includes an enormous (and I do mean enormous) fireplace. I wish I had had the chance to eat in their signature restaurant, Filini, which gets great reviews and is in a gorgeous space. They have a terrific Lavazza coffee stand, which is a nice change from the usual hotel coffee stands--the only downside is that the stand closes at noon.

Services at the hotel are somewhat scant. There did not appear to be a gift shop and no vending machines (more on that later). It did have a sense of isolation that can be both good and bad. The hotel is connected to others (including the Hyatt, the Fairmont, and the Swissotel) by an underground Pedway that allows one to go from one to another without a coat even in the coldest of weather.

Finally, the unforgivable that caused me to give this beautiful hotel only a 4 instead of the 5 it would readily warrant otherwise: My night of arrival I decided to have a can of Diet Coke from the minibar in the room. Yes, I was expecting a ripoff price (it turned out to be $4.00 for the can, once I figured out that the minibar pricing was on the TV menu). When I checked out, I was charged $5.40 for the can because they also add a "19% restocking fee" and tax. What a damn shame. It is not the money but rather what their practice signals to supposedly valued guests. I really liked this place, but this practice, so trivial and small potatoes, indicates a desire to take advantage of their guests instead of being focused on customer service. Maybe this is something that bugs me only, but I do hope that management reconsiders this practice. Ironically, they provided free internet, which is not generally the case at luxury hotels in downtown areas.

Overall, this is a pretty special and different place to stay--very distinct from and better than the usual bland convention hotel. I would be happy to stay there again. I'm sorry to be so hard on them for one minor practice, but it truly is offensive to me.

Room Tip: The balconies are very large and give great views of Chicago. I chose a balcony room (slightly more...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bruce-Carol B
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for sharing your review. I am happy that you loved the design of the hotel and lobby and that you found the pedway system to be helpful for your meetings. I am also gald that you were able to enjoy your balcony even on a cold Chicago day. I would, however, like to apologize that you were disappointed with the minibar pricing. I assure you our pricing is competitive for the area and the pricing and fees are not designed to upset our guests. I am truly sorry that this was not the case during your stay. We do also offer vending machines on our amenity floors as well as beverage service through the restaurant and in room dining. I apologize again for any disappointment you experienced and hope that you will return in the future.