“great place...Concierge not so much!”

Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel
Ranked #23 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This is a great hotel...fabulous location..great views and friendly staff with the exception of the Concierge. I had spoken with him on 3 occasions and found him to be rude and almost bothered by my inquiries. The last time I spoke with him was regarding printing out my boarding passes for the next day due to the fact that the business centers copier was out of toner. I waited in the business center for 25 minutes, then went to Concierge and then he explained to me that printing out boarding passes can be done at the airport. Yes, I do understand the whole concept of air travel, thank you. Ending on a positive note: The doormen where so welcoming and great with giving directions.

Room Tip: I do feel that if you book through a different sight besides the home sight you are given whatever r...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving us a review. I am happy that you had a great stay. I would, however, like to apologize that our concierge team was not helpful with your requests. I am addressing your concerns and am truly sorry for any frustration you experienced. I hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back soon.

General Mananger

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel

Reviewed 28 June 2014

I was staying at the hotel as part of a meeting held at the hotel, and honestly I could not have asked for anything better. The personal was so nice and responsive I have rarely experienced anything better, even at similar hotels in the US. For instance when I checked in the woman at the front desk was dealing with something clearly not suitable as there was a line, and for my inconvenience I was given free breakfast and a call from a guest service person to make sure I was ok.
I had a room with a balcony which is great. the stay was very quiet and I love that the door from the hotel room is not directly out to the corridor. My stay was great and I can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony to be able to get fresh air
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review! I am thrilled that you had a perfect stay and that you plan to return the next time you are in Chicago. I will be sure to share your wonderful compliments with our team. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I'm not into modern design and clean lines,so why pick the Blu Aqua? Because the ratings on tripadvisor were excellent. I had high expectations and I was not disappointed. Unmatched service, excellent location, great amenities. Taking two toddlers on a trip to downtown Chicago was a challenge,but the Blu made it easy and headache free. I stay in a lot of hotels. This is one of the best.

Room Tip: I got a room on the 16th on the corner of the building. Gives you a bigger balcony and a whole 2nd...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for your review! I could not be happier that you had a great stay or that our team was helpful in making traveling with young children as easy as possible! I will share your compliments with our staff. I hope to welcome you back to Chicago soon. Thanks again!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here last week for her first visit to Chicago and our 4th anniversary. I emailed the hotel in advance to see if we could get a room with a decent view and I asked for ideas on anything going on in the city. Both of these requests were fulfilled, and then some. Andrew the concierge and Pierre the GM are both amazing at their jobs.
The doormen are attentive, but not pushy. I never asked them for anything, but they were all very pleasant. Check-in, even at 10 am was a breeze. My room wasn't ready, but they took my number and our bags and called us in less than an hour.
We were given room 1804, which was a corner room on the top floor (everything above is apartments or condos). It had great hardwood floors and a beautiful wrap-around balcony. The door to the balcony was behind the desk, so it was a bit hard to get in/out, but I'll take it. Our view was of the Pritzker Pavilion to the left and the river (through some buildings) to the right. There was an ipad for in-room use and a decently sized tv. The bathroom was huge, including a walk-in shower with rainfall showerhead, a soaking tub, and a separated toilet. There was no real door to the toilet, but you could slide the shower door all the way over for privacy. The sink area was a bit small, but there were other places to put toiletries. The room also had a Nespresso machine.
I didn't use any of the following, but they did all look very nice: a media room featuring a projection screen and stadium seating (people were watching a World Cup match), a game room with a poker table and a pool table, a decent gym, an indoor/outdoor pool, and some great outdoor seating areas.
I did not eat or drink at any of the bars or restaurants, so unfortunately cant' comment for them.
We had lounge access at the hotel as well, which we checked out twice. The first time was around 5 pm. There were some light snacks, like crab cakes and a few other hot options, cheese, fruit and veggies. There were a few types of wine and 3 types of beer. The second time was for breakfast on our way out around 7 am. There was oatmeal, bagels and other breads, fruits and probably some other stuff. There are 2 Nespresso machines, bottled water and Coke products available at all times.
Just an fyi, the hotel is about 5 blocks from the Orange line if you are flying in from MDW. The walk isn't bad, but 2-3 blocks are uphill.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Happy Anniversary! I am thrilled that you loved your experience at the hotel and that our team was helpful with accommodating your requests. We are honored that you spent your anniversary celebration with us and hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Chicago!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

At the advice of a friend, I changed a reservation elsewhere to stay at the Radisson Blu and was not sorry. Our room was spacious and light with natural woods, and a bath deeply satisfying to my Japanese American soul. But the highlight was the food and the service at Felini, delicious burrata & delectable fresh mozzarella, and yummy tuna tartar on red pepper sauced pasta. Special thanks to Adrianna, the hostess, for going above and beyond in securing me breakfast between service & finding us just the right spot outside in the breezes to watch the world cup.

Room Tip: I like the natural wood rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Harvestmoon333
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am happy that you loved your stay and that you especially enjoyed dining in Filini. I will pass along your compliments to our team. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time you are in Chicago!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I haven't even stayed at the Radisson Blu yet, but while booking a reservation I called the hotel and was talking to Chantal Bonnaure and she was wonderful while helping me book the room. I work at a hotel at a front desk also and I understand how difficult it is to be personable to every person that comes through the door. I'm looking forward to my stay at the end of August and meeting the wonderful staff at the Radisson Blu. Chantal went above and beyond any expectations I had for this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Radissonbluaqua, General Manager at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for your review! I am thrilled that our team has been helpful through your booking process and that you are looking forward to your August stay. I will certainly share your compliments with Chantal. I hope to meet you in August!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

architecturally stunning, room ready 1 hour early, friendly and helpful front desk staff. Corner Room on 15th floor had view of river and Navy Pier. Walking distance to all the sights we wanted to see. Only complaint is the mini bar situation, charges for looking at the thing is outrageous and should be changed. Are they really losing that much money on the mini bar??? A stupid management decision. Met the charming French manager who was most helpful and friendly as were all the staff we encountered. Will recommend it very highly. Try to get a corner room if possible. Rooms are large and very contemporary. No hotel information in the rooms. Take Blue Line train to Ohare rather than taxi. Takes 1.5 hour but only costs $3.00!!

Room Tip: Try for a corner room for the views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank zack2o012

Thank you for leaving us a review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and that our location was ideal for everything you wanted to see in Chicago. I do, however, apologize that your minibar was too sensitive. There are sensors that charge if items are removed, but this should not be affected by viewing or opening the refrigerator. I apologize for any inconvenience this caused for you. I hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Chicago!