I recently completed a 3-night stay at Villa Toscana. While the location was perfect and the room quaint, I would never stay at this establishment again due to the rude, unprofessional behavior of Ron, the "innkeeper." Ron made our stay incredibly uncomfortable with his unfriendly behavior and making rude comments. The following is a sampling:
* Upon arrival, I was informed that we would be sharing a bathroom. While this was not a big deal, I did comment that I was surprised as this was not listed in my contract. Ron immediately became defensive and repeatedly stated that it was made clear on the website. I disagree. Again, it was not a big deal. Just be aware.
* During our stay, the toilet in the shared bathroom became clogged. I'll spare readers the details, but I can say with absolute certainty that no one in my party had anything to do with this. However, Ron made it a point to directly accuse a member of my party for being responsible despite no evidence of this. Also, while informing us that the toilet was out of order, we did not appreciate his tone. It's been a long time since I've had someone speak to me in such a caustic tone, particularly for no reason. Neither I nor those in my party appreciated being spoken down to or accused of this. In any other establishment, I'd assume the staff would be apologetic if any of
their accomodations were unavailable.
* Upon checkout, he stated he would be inspecting our room. I should mention that there were other guests there at the time who expressed being surprised because their room was not inspected upon checkout. After inspecting the room, he said "Okay, gentlemen - you have two
options. You can either go back up there and clean the room, or I will be charging you a $150 cleaning fee. The way you left that room is just rude and disrespectful." First of all, nowhere was it stated that we were expected to clean the room. In fact, they have a maid clean the rooms every day. Regardless, we had gathered all of our trash into a pile since there was only one small trash can. I don't believe we should have been responsible for cleaning the room without having been
informed of us on the website, in the contract, or during check-in; however, if this is an uncommunicated (and, apparently, selectively enforced) policy, I think it could have been stated to us in a far more polite manner.
* This one is very minor, but every time we would run into Ron in the house he went out of his way not to acknowledge our presence. When one of us would say hello to him, he would take a good three or four seconds before responding with a terse "hi" as if he couldn't be bothered.
This is just a sampling of how Ron made our stay very uncomfortable.
I travel quite frequently and have stayed at both high-end and low-end hotels, hostels, and other bed and breakfasts. This is certainly the rudest behavior I have ever encountered from staff and would rather pay more money or stay somewhere less convenient than to have to endure this sort of treatment at an establishment I am paying for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Villa Toscana Bed & Breakfast is an eight-room guesthouse located in the Lakeview/Boystown neighborhood of Chicago, six miles north of downtown Chicago. Our guesthouse is in one of Chicago's most eclectic entertainment districts and center of Chicago's Gay and Lesbian neighborhood, second largest in the United States. Literally steps from our door you will find an exciting nightlife, the beautiful Lake Michigan shores, a thriving theatre district, shopping, and an extensive variety of bars, clubs, and ethnic restaurants. We are also known as the closest accommodation to Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Villa Toscana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Villa Toscana Hotel Chicago