The Villa Toscana
Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$282
US$405
US$345
TrumpHotels.com
  • Pool
Palmer House A Hilton Hotel(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$310
US$259
  • Restaurant
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$234
Warwick Allerton-Chicago(Chicago)(Great Value!)
US$133
US$101
  • Room Service
All reviewsb bprivate bathwrigley fieldthe inn keeperhalsted stchicago dinerbars and restaurantscontinental breakfastwould stay againlots of great restaurantsterrific locationcouple of nightsfew blocksgreat weekendcomfortable roomwalking distancelake michigan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We were a little wary because of the bad reviews it received on other sites, but it was close to where we wanted to be. So, we booked it and hoped for the best. Contrary to what other reviews have stated, Ron was very accommodating, pleasant, and helpful. He stored our bags for us before the set check-in time so we could go to the zoo and explore the sites around the area. We stayed at the Villa Toscana the night the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. It was quite an experience, but we never felt unsafe and we got a pleasant night's sleep. The room we stayed in was downstairs, and although small and quaint, it was very comfortable and had its own (pretty big) bathroom. The breakfast was quite good, and there was a variety of choices. The area where the Villa Toscana is located is in the heart of Chicago's gay community. We believe to each his/her own, so it was not an issue for us. However, if you are the type of person that is uncomfortable with that sort of thing, you might want to look elsewhere. If you do skip over it though, you are missing out on a great experience.

The only aspect of our stay that some people might not like is that there is no close/convenient parking. However, we did find a parking place after doing some driving around. With a little luck and a little patience, we found a spot about two blocks away. Ron provided us with a parking permit, so it did not cost us anything to park. If you are looking for parking on site, there is none, so be prepared for a short walk. Other than that, we would go back and stay without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WrldTravLR09
VillaInnkeeper, Manager at The Villa Toscana, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thanks so much for staying with us at The Villa Toscana. Yes, the immediate neighborhood is not only very eclectic and even international, it is quite urban and parking can indeed be a challenge. I am pleased that you found our inn and the neighborhood appealing. Thank you also for your comments about management and service at the inn. We constantly strive to find ways to improve how we serve our guests. I do hope you will return to Chicago soon and perhaps stay with us again. Thanks!

Reviewed 10 July 2013

A wonderful 6 night stay.
Right in the heart of Boystown and very easy to access downtown with a choice of bus or two train stations, both in easy walking distance. The closest about a 5 min walk and the bus just outside.i
Ron the manager is a lovely guy. His information and interaction with guests is reminiscent of his southern roots hospitality transferred to the wonderful city of Chicago. A warm beautiful home which makes any stay much homlier with all the convenience of staying with friends. There were no rats, the breakfasts were adequate with variety, just not hot. The house does not have cooking license as I understand and perhaps this could be considered in the future. You will not find a nicer place to stay in Chicago. Thank you to Ron-a gem of a manager!

Stay here because I will be next time I visit this amazing city.

Room Tip: I had the Moroccan Room with a private bathroom. Very private on same level as the entrance, kitchen and living area accessed by an outdoor balcony/corridor just off the kitchen. The rooms which share a bathroom are on the first floor up one flight of stairs and the other rooms with a private bathroom are on street level or the basement as the house is raised.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
VillaInnkeeper, Manager at The Villa Toscana, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2013

Thank you so much for staying with us! We appreciate your kind words, and it was indeed a pleasure to chat with you on numerous occasions during your visit. I certainly hope to see you here in Chicago in the near future. Thanks again!

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Ten days before Restaurant Week I found I needed to be in Chicago for an, until then, unplanned graduation (apparently planning was not one of the courses my son took). The only thing I was finding were cookie cutter motels in Rosemont. I filled out the "put me on the waiting list" form for several B and Bs. Imagine my delight when Ron called back no less than 5 minutes after I had submittted the on-line form to The Villa Toscana. He just happened to have Saturday night available. Yep - he's my new hero.

The Villa Toscana was a lovely experience. Yes, I was in the smaller lower level room. It was plenty big enough for one person - especially the spacious bathroom. Really people, if you are going to spend your whole stay in Chicago in your room why did you leave home? I sunk into the ever so comfy bed - there's nothing like soft sheets - and didn't wake until morning. It was quiet, cozy and comfortable.

Unfortunately, I had to dash early Sunday morning to enjoy the two hour finale of all that tuition (well worth every penny I might add) so I did not even grab a cup of coffee. Cabs are plentiful and the L is close by. I was so grateful for the parking pass Ron placed in my car. I found a spot around the corner and left the car until I was ready to leave town.

All in all, Ron couldn't have been nicer or more welcoming. Yes, I was very happy to find a very reasonably priced place to stay in the city on short notice but, more than that I was truly delighted that I found a quaint, relaxing place to rest my head. Thank you! I will be back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
VillaInnkeeper, Manager at The Villa Toscana, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Colleen, thanks so much for staying with us recently. I'm glad I was able to house you for the one night and also that you were able to attend the graduation ceremony on short notice. It was a pleasure to meet you, and I'll hope you'll find occasion to stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Ron knows how to run a guest house. He gives you all the information you need upon arrival, the continental breakfast is ready on time early morning, he ensures your room is cleaned each day if needed and he is just an all around nice guy.
My room had a big bed and was well furnished. The bathroom was one meter away and only three rooms shared the facilities. I never had a problem using it.
The location is in the heart of the gay/lesbian community and close to two subway stations. The best thing about The Villa Toscana, other than Ron of course, is the price. You'll not find better anywhere in Chicago.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
VillaInnkeeper, Manager at The Villa Toscana, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Chris, you're too kind! Thank you for your review, and more importantly, thank you for staying with us. I am very pleased that you found the accommodations to your liking. I certainly hope you will stay with us again on your next Chicago trip. Thanks!

Reviewed 8 April 2013

This was perfect for what we were looking for. We wanted a place in walking distance to The Wrigleyville area. We were in town for a show at the Metro, which is down the street from Wrigley Field. It was an easy walk and there are a ton of bars and restuarants in walking distance as well.

A few things to know going in.
1. Some rooms have shared baths, this was not OK with us so we purposely booked a room with a bath. We were on the lower level and the room was tiny and the floor was tile and very chilly. Still we were there just to sleep so the room met our needs.
2. They don't actually have a license to cook anything so breakfast is bagels, toast, re packaged breakfast foods. Don't expect a great meal like you would at some B & B's where the inn keeper is a chef.
3. As you might expect in a city, parking is not on site, we found a public lot nearby and it was something like $20-24 for the over night. Once you park, you won't need the car again.

I thought Ron the innkeeper was quite friendly and he explained everything to us upfront, about breakfast etc and he told us where to go eat if we wanted eggs and bacon for breakfast.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
VillaInnkeeper, Manager at The Villa Toscana, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Thanks, Susan, for staying with us during your recent trip. It was unfortunate the parking situation was a particular challenge during your time here. Perhaps on a future visit you might try one of our larger rooms. We look forward to another stay with us at The Villa Toscana!