“A must-see gem!”

Ranked #13 of 657 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Take a step back in time to the Gilded Age with banker Samuel Nickerson's mansion. Explore all three floors of the museum and discover how the Nickerson family lived and socialized. Tours are an extra $5, but well worth it.
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My sister and I toured this wonderful, unique home this past weekend. What a wonderful treat! Neither of us is into Victorian design, or furniture, but we really enjoyed the visit nonetheless. The staff members are very personable and able to answer any question I could come up with....and I had quite a few! We took the "Tiffany Tour" that was led by a very well-versed, and knowledgeable, young woman who (again), was able to answer many questions. Being in this home reminded me a bit of Biltmore...but without the teeming, jostling crowds. The only tip I have is this: this is NOT a place to bring young children!

There are newer reviews for Richard H. Driehaus Museum

Reviewed 22 October 2013

My family recently did both the Mansions and Millionaires: The McCormickville Walking Tour as well as a self-guided tour of the museum itself. I would highly recommend both. The walking tour lasts about 90 minutes and goes for a several block radius around the actual museum. Once done, we rented the audio tour devices while going through the museum on our own. While you can read the overview in each room, we thought the audio devices really added to the experience. We paid $30 per person for the walking tour and general admission and then another $5 for the audio device. Lots to explore inside and out and the mansion itself is beautifully restored. Highly recommended for all ages.

1  Thank gregterri
Reviewed 20 October 2013

This is one of the great privately owned museums of America.
The collection of Tiffany glass is outstanding and the game is probably the largest to be seen in one viewing.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Such a gorgeous house! I was amazed and surprised each time I entered a new room in this exquisite lay decorated home built around 1870 or so. The Tiffany lamps and windows are worth the entrance fee alone. Unbelievable! The blue tile on the walls in two of the rooms is spectacular. Any student of design or architecture must visit this home now a museum. The gift shop is excellent as well. They have lots of docents who are very helpful in explaining the home to tourists. I LOVED this place. Stunning!

Reviewed 18 October 2013

This is a very well manteined museum. It is the former house of a wealthy man and it is wortha visit.
The Tiffany exhibition is very beautiful.
Staff is very helpful and is willing to give all the information you need about the museum.