“Hotel remodeling in January 2008”

Club Quarters Hotel, Central Loop
Ranked #93 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 5 February 2008

This hotel was undergoing renovation in 2008, so part of the first floor was closed. The hotel was generally better than other Club Quarters I have visited in DC, New York and Chicago. The staff is very professional and attentive.

The hotel also appeared very clean and well kept. Problems with my room were fixed on the day I reported them.

This is a good hotel to choose if you are working in the financial district; many things in the area close down at night, and the usual Chicago attractions are far away. Nevertheless, the hotel connects to an "Elephant and Castle" restaurant, and there is a Starbucks on the corner.

• Stayed: January 2008
There are newer reviews for Club Quarters Hotel, Central Loop

Reviewed 23 January 2008

The hotel has a few things going for it - 1) great location, 2) very clean, 3) neat pub on the first floor.

However, it was extremely TIGHT. We wern't expecting a spectacular view but the view of the alley was a little grim. I am thin as is my fiance, and I felt like we could barely even get INTO the room. I think they may have coverted 1 room into 2 rooms all around the hotel. Also, there's no bathtub - just a small shower with a shower curtain that causes all of your water to leak out on the floor...

I would not go back - much rather go to an Embassy Suites or a Doubletree.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 12 January 2008

Very central location in the Loop, convenient to trains, some good restaurants and adequate shopping nearby but this is basically a business district so unlike the Magnificent Mile area it's very quiet (= dead) at night.

Although CQ is known for small rooms, ours was quite spacious and very clean with nice furnishings. It did not have a fridge or a safe, though. There was construction going on at the front of the building; management said they would put us in another room if noise was a problem but we never heard any. Room was a little chilly during the day but very warm in the evening. We had no interaction with staff except for checking in and out but they seemed to be OK. One thing that I really appreciated was that even though we showed up at 7:00 a.m. after a red-eye flight into O'Hare they let us check into our room right away, no hassles.

Amenities included a computer room and small exercise room. Free coffee usually available in the lobby (but not always when construction was going on). Internet connection was available in our room (for a fee I think) but we didn't use it.

All in all we were very satisfied, especially since we got a reasonable rate on the internet, and we were basically using it as a base for work and entertainment expeditions. But if you're looking for a place with the full range of amenities this probably won't be what you want.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank pobble67
Reviewed 1 January 2008

I was a little skeptical about staying here since some of the reviews were not very good, but was pleasantly surprised when I was greeted by a nice lady at the lobby, who helped me check in using the kiosk.
It's true... the room we stayed in was small (European-size), especially the bathroom, but for the price we paid on Hotwire, it was a decent accommodation in downtown Chicago. If you're a light sleeper, the slamming of doors might bother you, but you should be too tired from exploring the city to hear anything.
Located in the financial district, it was nice and quiet after hours and a pleasant walk from Michigan Ave and close to the beautiful Millenium Park.
Parking is a bit of a hassle since it's not on-site, but at $19/night compared to the average of $30-40/night elsewhere, it was ok especially if you're on a budget.
For good breakfast, try Lou Mitchell's near Union Station as most cafes (not even Starbucks beside the hotel) aren't open on Sunday morning.

• Stayed: December 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank tortellini
Reviewed 25 December 2007

I stayed at Club Quarters July 2006. This was my 2nd stay at this particular Club Quarters for a visit to Chicago. My first trip was in 2004. At any rate....the reason I stayed the SECOND time was cause the 1st experience was grand. I don't know what happened that 2nd time around, cause nothing was really right this time. The 1st time I went, a friend and I were going to Chicago on short notice on a short wknd and needed a hotel in which to stay that wasn't far from everything and we came across Club Quarters after searching online and finally finding a place centrally located downtown AND at a good price. (Like $98 per night)...and for downtown Chicago, thats not bad. The location is GREAT. I carefully read reviews, but took my chances seeing how neither of us were picky people anyway. The 1st time to Chicago, I kind of expected the small rooms, cause seems as if 90% of reviews mentioned this. Yes, the rooms were small but we arent the types that require much space, so we didnt care. We were out of the rooms most of the time anyway. 1st stay was great, 2nd stay...scary.
The rooms were FREEZING. The air would't go off even when it WAS off!!!!!! We complained but was never moved stating that they were booked for the weekend. How is it that that's the #1 answer when you have a complaint to the front desk?? Secondly, the parking. We had to park like 3 blocks away from the hotel, and WALK back. TERRIBLE!!! That, also wasnt the case the 1st time we went. Hmm...anyway. Yes they had valet, but it was some insanely expensive price at the time. I don't know if that's changed or not. I will say the LOBBY was pretty and for the most part, the hotel was quiet during our stay. Occasionally you can hear the people in the room next to yours entering or leaving THEIR rooms, but for the most part I can'r recall being constantly awakened by noise. Overall, its "okay"...I guess. But after the 2nd experience, I'll probably never stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2007

I rate this ABOVE AVERAGE + Great location if you are traveling by train, only 3 blocks from Union Station. Very easy to walk to theater district and not a bad walk from Michigan Ave shopping. Star bucks and Elephant & Castle Pub are djacent with 24 hour 7-Eleven across the street.

Small, clean room but it was very well laid out with everything we possibly needed. We saw much smaller rooms in Chigaco for more money. We got an excellent rate for tis stay at Hotels.com.

Computers with Internet in the lobby were nice and the desk clerks were very helpful and polite. Would recommend for any single or couple going to Chicago for a visit. We are planning to stay there again in a few weeks .

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank kcalmole
Reviewed 19 December 2007

I booked this trip on Hotwire so I didnt get to choose the hotel. The location and price were great though for what was listed as a 3 star hotel.

Im 6'4 so consider that before reading further.

Everything about the hotel was small...the lobby, the elevator, the halls, the rooms. The room had a tiny bed, a tiny window, a tiny bathroom, and overall just very small. It wasnt bad since I didnt do anything but sleep there but it was easily the smallest hotel room Id ever seen. For the hotwire price I cant complain though.

Hotel is within walking distance of the Sears Tower, Lake Michigan, Chicago River, and Magnificent Mile. Or you can take the subway to wherever you want to go. Not many places to eat around the hotel so you will have to walk several blocks away. Subway station is 2 blocks either way.

Overall a decent hotel, more suited for smaller people traveling alone. I dont think any rooms have more than one bed.

Stayed: August 2007