“A Little "Cozy"”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #108 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The reviews do not lie...the rooms are very, very small. Not just Chicago Loop small but even a little bit smaller. But the front desk staff was very upfront about it and even offered us a deal to upgrade but we decided we could tough it out with a little extra coziness for a weekend. The smallness of the room put aside, everything else was great. A few times we had to call their "whatever whenever" line for toothpaste, coffee, a fridge, bandaids (we were a little high maintenance) and they were very fast and friendly. I saw some reviews compalined about the noise, from the 7th floor I was fine in the room. I never heard my neighbors, street noise, or the train but we may have just gotten lucky. It was a pretty great location, we were able to mostly walk everywhere and only had to take a taxi a handful of times. Overall, it was a pretty good stay and I have no real complaints especially for the deal I got for the room. I would definitely not pay the full price for the room (if you get the "cozy queen") but if you find a steal of a deal, go for it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
WChicagoCityCenter, Leadership Team at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

"Thank you for your comments! Good to know you enjoyed your stay and that our Whatever / Whenever team met your needs. Hope to see you back soon!

Kind regards,
Sonia S."

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Everyone was extremely nice and helpful. The room was very comfortable and there was a great vibe. In particular, security manager Dante Jarrett shipped my sweater that I left in the closet the next day. Very punctual and professional staff all around.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
WChicagoCityCenter, Leadership Team at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Hello and thank you for your review! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your escape with us. I will share your comments with Dante as well as our team. We look forward to having you back soon!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Clean room, comfortable bed. Room overlooked a dirty roof area. Bathroom was very small and for some reason there was a 2nd bathroom with a commode & sink - interesting for a room for 1 person. Lobby was lovely and staff very friendly and helpful.
One complaint - my tub was rounded on the bottom making it difficult to stand in the shower.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback, it helps us achieve higher levels of service. Appreciate the intel and the follow up -please come back soon! We thank you for your loyalty!

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

For our anniversary my fiancé wanted to get me out of the house for a night, and surprised me with a nights stay at the W. We have a bit of an innocent rivalry in that I'm a Marriott rewards member and he is a Starwood member--needless to say he was expecting me to convert by the end of our stay. To his dismay that is not the case. Checking in was quite the process, not to mention the lack of engagement from staff, next we went to the bar while we WAITED for a room to find that the bartender was not going to serve us until he was done doing everything but serving guests (he also left mess from previous guests for us to move out of our way)--my level of excitement at that point had diminished to solely just wanting to get my bags in the room and get out. After getting to our room and finding we had a view of the building next door and dirty bedding we asked to be moved to a city view. It only took 2 plus hours and a call from us to check if it was ready (because they didn't think that they should follow through on calling us to confirm the room was available), for us to finally get settled in our mediocre **not Spectacular** room (broken blind, white stains on the pillows GROSS...). I will give one positive, the door staff and the gentleman (Juan?) who brought our bags to us twice, both were great and I hope they are recognized for their work. My fiancé travels frequently for work and stays at Starwood hotels when he does...at this point,after this experience, I am hoping he reconsiders...lesson learned: you don't always get what you pay for.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jkmjtd4

"Thank you for sharing your anniversary with us! We appreciate the candid feedback. While the historic nature of the building lends to a variety of room layouts, we would love to welcome you back and have you explore some of our upgraded room types. Be sure to visit our special offers page before booking your next trip as we have guest room packages that include an upgrade along with a range of other incredible items! We will be sure to share your kind mention of Juan and greet staff!

Hope to see you soon!
Sonia S."

Reviewed 6 April 2014

The concerige Eden Bernal recommended an amazing restaurant for me to have lunch. Her professionalism and customer service was outsstanding! If u ever need help pls def find Eden ! She will steer you in the right direction . Thanks Eden !

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank NYCGUY

Thank you for letting us share your great experience. We will be sure to share your kind words with Eden and the entire team here at the hotel. Thanks for your loyalty!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This used to be a solid choice for service, ambiance and value. We previewed this hotel before booking a block of rooms for an event and in the end couldn't reconcile the experience with what the client needed. It was a bit of a surprise because we had a much more positive experience few years back with large group. The service was a bit disconnected and almost terse for some common requests, let alone the concierge snafu experienced by colleague. The next shift did try to make it right, but when its a dropped dinner reservation , well timing is everything and when you are responsible for a client experience, no chances can be taken. I agree with previous posters regarding the property looking a bit dated. I am not sure what is going on with some of the properties and service of the W brand, but I do hope it gets sorted soon. In the industry we have such admiration the innovative, groundbreaking concept the W started as. They set the tone and the game. I am afraid they are now being out played by new boutique establishments. We are getting more and more requests for alternatives to W from clients. I am afraid this particular hotel is good indication of why.

Room Tip: The train can make things difficult if you are a light sleeper. Make mention and arrangements while...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
WChicagoCityCenter, Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Thank you for the note. I do hope you give us another shot to restore your faith in our service and product. Please let me know if there is anything specific you would like to review offline and I would love to find a way to make it right!

Jessica Y.
Marketing Manager

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Sinks that clog up, showers with weak pressure, tiny bathrooms in small rooms (even if you get 500 Starwood points or free Wifi for their small size), coffee makers in rooms that are not a default but you have to ask for all make for an experience that no amount of very friendly & chatty staff (check-in and on the floors) can compensate for a business traveller.
I am unlikely to stay there given the plethora of hotels in downtown Chicago including on that very street.

Room Tip: Avoid room 406 for the issues I mention above.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rnarisetti

Thank you for the feedback on room 406. We thank you for relaying the information to us. While the historic nature of the building lends to a variety of room layouts, we would love to welcome you back and have you explore some of our upgraded room types. Please let us know if you return and we would love to place you in a spacious room!

Thank you!