“First Time at W - Would Recommend”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #105 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Champaign, Illinois
“First Time at W - Would Recommend”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I reserved a package that included parking and a few drinks. It seemed to save us about $40-$50 because the rate we received was the same I was offered at surrounding hotels without parking.

Also, when I reserved online, I mentioned in the comment box that it we were staying there for our anniversary. A few days before our trip I received an email from concierge Eden Bernal welcoming us and letting us know she had a surprise for us upon our arrival.

We arrived three hours before check-in time so our room was not ready. However, they did welcome us and congratulated us on our anniversary. They allowed us to check-in so when our room was ready they would call us and we could go straight to the room. The front desk informed us that we had been upgraded to a Fabulous Room.

The lobby is very modern almost like a night club without the music. It is a bit dark, but it is very nice.

We returned when our room was ready. It was a very spacious room with a chaise lounge. The decor was very clean and modern. A flat screen tv was mounted to the wall. There was a docking station along side the bed. The bathroom was very large and modern. The whole room was very clean with very modern decor. The king size bed was a bit softer than I am used to, but it was very comfortable. There were L tracks below us and even though we were 9 floors up you could hear it arrive and leave. It wasn't that loud,but you could hear it. however, later that night we were so tired we slept right through it.

Eden had a complimentary bottle of wine and some chocolates delivered to our room with a very nice card for our anniversary. She was super and bent over backwards to make our visit an enjoyable one.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
WChicagoCityCenter, Review Management at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
First, may we say congratulations on your anniversary! What an exciting time for you and we are honored we would have the opportunity to share in such a special celebration. Also, thank you for choosing W Chicago City Center!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Eden - we are lucky to have her on our team and will be sure to share your accolades with them!

We look forward to welcome you back to W Chicago City Center on your next anniversary or sooner!??

Have a great week!
Review Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for four nights
It is very much in the city centre with the Ellis tower right across the street
Rooms are nice big with comfortable beds

The things I didn't like about the hotel was the breakfast ,with limited options to chose from and the wifi which was not free in the rooms

The reception staff was very helpful so were the guys in the restaurant

The lobby crowded in weekends with many people trying to make use of the free wifi available only in the lobby

You can walk to all the prominent city landmarks from the hotel that is the plus point ( about 30 mts walk to the michigan avenue)

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
WChicagoCityCenter, Review Management at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Hello and thank you for sharing your feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your W City Center experience. We welcome you back any time and please feel free to ask our servers for an item you may not have seen on our menu.

Thanks again,
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The W was modern, trendy, clean, and welcoming. Tyler helped us check in and was incredibly friendly, and was able to accommodate our requests perfectly. The room was fun, well-decorated, and comfortable. Didn't utilize too many of the amenities, but got a drink from the bar in the lobby that was great. Overall, staying at the W made for a very pleasant and special experience.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are very lucky to have Tyler on our team. I will share your comments with the entire team. We look forard to having you back at W Chicago City Center.

Best,
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Absolutely Incredible.

From the moment I walked into this hotel my boyfriend and I felt like VIPs. He was here for work, I was here for the ride! We walked in and immediately went to the wrong place to check in. Carl from the restaurant escorted us over to the front desk and introduced us to Connor who checked us in. What a warm welcome! We checked our bags and headed out into the city as we were there several hours before check in.

When we got back to the hotel and stopped at the bar to have a drink only to be greeted again, by Carl! My boyfriend got a beer, and I didn't see anything on the cocktail list that jumped out at me. Carl started asking me about things I liked and crafted a cocktail just for me right on the spot. Absolutely incredible! He even wrote down the recipe for me so I could make it at home! (Wish me luck)

Once we left the bar, we went to see if a room was ready. We booked a small room, which wasn't ready. So Connor UPGRADED us to a larger room! We didn't even ask!!! Thanks Connor!!

The room was gorgeous. The hotel is stunning. The staff is incredible. I can not wait to come back to Chicago! I think we found our home away from home!

Room Tip: Make sure to talk to their concierge! He knows all the best spots!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hello and thank you for your feedback. It is our pleasure and goal to exceed your expecations with our property and service! We look forward to having you both back soon!

Cheers,
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have just checked out of this hotel after two nights, instead of staying the 4 that I had planned. My room was tiny and faced the El track, which meant there was a lot of train noise. The walls also appear to lack soundproofing, as I could hear a lot of noise from the adjacent rooms and the hallway. The room and bathroom were VERY small. And all this for an unbelievably high rate! I would not recommend this hotel - it is completely not in the "fabulous" league I expect from W. I was very disappointed, and have moved down the street to the Cental Loop hotel, which is half the price. Even if my room is tiny and noisy there, at least I won't feel I have been ripped off!

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the "courtyard" to avoid noise from the El.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed review. I am sorry to hear the hotel did not meet your desires. We would love to welcome you back should you decide to give another chance.

Warm regards,
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I had a terrible experience. I paid more than 500 hundred per night and stayed three nights and received this:
-A very small room and a really small restroom (TINY);
-A really dark room;
-Very high rate;
-I called several times the concierge to request his help for a reservation; he did not pick up the phone and never returned the call;
-The lobby of the hotel is ugly and dark;
-The lobby is full of noise;
-The hotel is not well located;
-Service is not good at all. I tried to express my complaints to the manager (an asian guy) and he ignored me;
Conclusion: terrible hotel, horrible service, very small and dark rooms, terrible location and a very high rate. Don't stay in this hotel

Room Tip: Don't stay in this hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ana J
Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to know that you did not enjoy your stay. We would like to have back and experience our other room types we hope you'll find more comfortable.

Warm regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 May 2014

First off let me say that the rooms are tiny even by European standards. 2 people with two small checked bags do not fit into a standard king room. Some coworkers staying here as well said front desk staff had suggested to them to request a room with two double beds since those rooms are a little bigger.

Rooms and hotel overall are well decorated and workout room wasn't large but well equipped.

Service overall was good except the maid service was beyond TERRIBLE. If your not out of your room by the time the cleaning lady wants to clean your room she will not come back later no matter who you contact to ask for cleaning service. I notified housekeeping, concierge and front desk for three days and couldn't get the room made up. Seriously.

Honestly, I've stayed across the street at the JW Marriott when in Chicago previously and had a better experience and more comfortable room.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank NotAllWhoWonderRLost
Thank you for your feedback and for making us aware of the communication you received regarding Make a Green Choice. While we love this program, we understand the expectations should be clearly explained as we do not want to miss a beat in service. We will review with our Talent and ensure it is seamless for all guests should they chose to opt in.

Thank you again!