“Great hotel, with close proximity to Michigan Ave”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #105 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
New York City, New York
“Great hotel, with close proximity to Michigan Ave”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here for a weekend getaway. I'd racked up enough SPG points to get a free night. The lobby is gorgeous and the check-in was painless. The staff are very friendly too.
The room itself was a little small, but we were there to explore, so spent little time in the hotel room. My only small complaint is that it took over 30mins to bring our two small suitcases (as in so small they were carry on) up to the room. I had to call to see where they were at.
We also had a court yard facing room (which has no view of anything) but we wanted to quiet, we could have had a city view, but would then be subject to the rail noise.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
WCCsv, Executive Office at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Hello and thank you for the review!

Come back to escape with us soon!

Executive Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This is a well placed hotel in the Chicago central business district and I enjoyed my stay here in October 2013. In usual W hotel style the styling is quirky but elegant. Having stayed in a few W hotels around the world however I don't feel this hotel lives up to that standard. For example it falls well short of the experience of the W hotel in Hong Kong. This was disappointing as in part I chose the hotel base on branding. The rooms are small although clean and modern. The service is fine although my experience was not exceptional or memorable. It's not a cheap or mid priced hotel which adds a little to the disappointment. If you are looking for the usual W hotel experience then this hotel is probably not form you, however if it's location and utility you want and are willing to pay for a certainty of cleanliness and comfort then this hotel is fine. Overall I as disappointed and probably would stay again but maybe expectations were a little high after Hong Kong!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hello and thank you for your feedback.
We would love for you to give us another chance if your travels bring you back to Chicago.

Thanks again!
Reviewed 16 July 2014

we enjoyed our stay very much.. had an awesome time at the hotel .. ideal for central location and surrounding convenience stores and foodshops... cant stress enough on how everyone at the hotel are professional accomodating and hospitable... only concern from my group is that although the bathroom doors are contemporary design, it lacks privacy as well as when the guestroom door opens, the bathroom door opens with it and opening to whoever is using the bathroom... rooms are surprisingly small but amazing night sleep wont be an issue...

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Kevin H
Hello and thanks for the review!

We welcome you back to stay with us again soon.

Cheers,
Atlanta
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I had such a great experience at the W in Boston that I talked my husband into paying more money to stay at the W in Chicago (City Center). Apparently this W does not subscribe to creating a "personal experince" for the customer! I agree with the other reviews: good location, friendly service, and nice but small room (caution - no drawers for clothing storage). I was looking forward to having my husband enjoy the same type of stay I had in Boston but it was nowhere near the same. Next time, I'll opt to spend a little less (and maybe be able to unpack my clothes).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary H
WCCsv, Executive Office at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hello!

Thank you for your feedback. We hope that you decide to return and try an alternate room type with us.

Thanks again for the review.

Westminster, California
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Professional and friendly staff. Eden was the most helpful concierge. She reserved tickets for the most wonderful Architecture river tour and made sure our needs were met. She also spent extra time looking for a wheelchair accessible cab for us, which ended up being the best cab ride we've ever taken.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Calexfornia
Hello and thank you for the great review!

Do come back soon as we value your loyalty to W and Starwood Hotels.

Washington DC
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for three nights in June 2014. Check in was simple and fast, rooms were near, clean and well-designed, and the staff helpful. The room was not huge, but had lots of outlets to plug in devices and a spacious desk area. The bed was very comfortable. Bathroom included Bliss spa amenities.

Had drinks at the hotel bar, and the bartender was very helpful and explained some bottles I had not seen before.

The lobby is a bit dim, but fun lighting and music make it a unique entrance to the building.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank thinktankjp
Thank you for the review. Happy to read that you enjoyed your W City Center experience!

Come back and escape with us again soon!

Cheers,
Swampscott, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My sons and I stayed at the W Hotel in Chicago City Center this past weeikend. Great hotel, and we really enjoyed it. But for the me, the highlight actually began as a downer. I left some articles of clothing in our room, and remembered them in the security line at the airport. I called the hotel, and they connected me with Gabriel Maximo in Security. Gabriel said he would check it out and call me back. And much to my surprise, he did! No problem, he said, just fill out the Fed Ex form I'm going to send to you via email and send it back to me, and I'll pack your clothes and send them off to you. And he did.

W is a nice hotel, but Gabriel ROCKS!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Charlie B
Wow - thank you for the great review! Gabriel is great and we are lucky to have him on our team!

Thank you for your loyalty to W and Starwood Hotels.