“The Staff Make The Stay”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #105 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
New York City, New York
“The Staff Make The Stay”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The staff at the W were really friendly-- Eden, who we all know is great according to the rest of these reviews really knows the city, was well-connected and was able to give us some fabulous recommendations. At the same time, Erwin at the front desk was really great, and took the quality of our three-day stay up to the next level. He wasn't just your generic front desk receptionist; he really took the time to make sure that our stay was as comfortable as it possibly could have been. We drove in from New York and got in at about six in the morning, at which time they did not have any available rooms for us to check into. Since their stylists only got in at nine, we had to wait a couple more hours. While this was no fault at all on their part, they gave us an upgraded room to compensate for the wait, which was such an unexpectedly pleasant surprise. We were both very exhausted and decided to rest in the lobby, where they offered us blankets to make our wait more bearable because it was freezing.

We were visiting the city to celebrate our anniversary, and on our last night, we came back to the room to find a bottle of wine as a gift from them, which was a very nice gesture, and more than they needed to do.

Overall, the staff went the extra mile, and that really made all the difference in our stay. If you're looking for a really memorable Chicago experience, I would highly recommend staying at the W Chicago.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
WCCsv, Executive Office at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Hello and thank you for the review. Wishing you countless years of happiness...thank you for celebrating your anniversary with us, we hope to wow you again on your next trip to Chicago!

Thanks again -we'll see you next time!
Sonia S.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Korean first
NYC
Reviewed 21 August 2014

All was great. Eden at the concierge desk was awesome - she hooked us up with resies for an architecture boat tour and gave us a secret in to Yolk (which is PERFECT for a pre-boat ride breakfast). I liked her b/c she emailed me ahead of time and asked if I needed any help. I would have never approached the concierge if not - but when she emailed me, I was like, "well, actually...I was thinking of a boat tour - any ideas?" And from that point on, it was easy sailing.

The room was tight as can be but totally clean and classy at the same time. Everyone was nice and friendly. If you're in Chicago for the weekend and want a central location, you can't beat it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for the feedback! Happy to know that your escape with us (boat tour included) was PERFECT!

Do check out our website when you return to Chicago to check on our packages and try different room types.

Thanks again for the review!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My friends and I were staying at the W Chicago City Center for the Rock and Roll half marathon last month and before I even arrived at the Hotel Eden Bernal contacted me to see if there was anything I would need while I was in Chicago. Now keep in mind I had never met Eden prior to this visit and meeting Eden alone was worth staying at the W Chicago City Center. From the time I arrived at the hotel with her very warm greeting until the time I left she made me feel like I was the only guest in the hotel.

Eden had many great recommendations including the wonderful architectural cruise down the Chicago river and great restaurant recommendations. Eden was able to secure us (my friends and I) two of the hardest reservations (and on short notice) in the city. One of the reservations was at a restaurant that does not take reservations for brunch but she got them to give us one anyway and when we got to the restaurant we were seated outside (even harder to get a table outside) in about 5 minutes.
Eden is truly a gem and one of a kind. She is by far the best concierge that I have ever encountered and I will return to the W Chicago next year just because she made my experience one to remember!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hello and thank you!

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay and agree Eden is awesome -we are so lucky to have her on our team!

Please come back and escape with us again -we value your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and W Hotels of Chicago.

Cheers,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel was well over priced for really poor service. $400 per night for 2 people. The hotel had two weddings on during our stay, this resulted in the hotel being too busy for it to cope with offering a level of service that was acceptable.
The $400 per night gets you a tiny room with very limited view, no free wifi, coffee or even water (water is charged at $5 per bottle) I was shocked at what you got for this price point.
The check in staff were really unhelpful and had a "really cant be bothered and Rude" attitude.
On check out we did not even get an itemized bill and our credit card was charged twice which took a number of calls to resolve.
EVERYONE should go to Chicago once in their life, but if you have $400 a night budget - you NEED to look around as I know you will be able to find a lot better than this hotel.

Room Tip: Ours was $400 a night and was really small with no luxury at all!!! Maybe spend $1000 a night and yo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. Please know I am disappointed to learn of your experience but appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. Please accept my apologies for the challenges you encountered, know that this is not the norm.

Hopefully we will welcome you back soon, if so please contact me direct so I can personally ensure your experience is seamless.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I was in Chicago for a wedding and this was the hotel that was booked for me by my date. The young man who checked me in was unfortunately, a bit rude and tarnished the experience right off the bat. My room was so incredibly small and had no view except for the air conditioning units and the fire escape ladders. As part of the wedding party (with the bride and the groom renting the penthouse for multiple days), I thought I would at least get a room that had a bathroom counter or a space to hang my floor length dress. The bathroom was the SMALLEST bathroom I have ever seen in my travels. The sheets were stained (yes, I know, so gross), the lamp shades were stained and there were no working batteries in the remote. It's a minor inconvenience but still, an inconvenience. My room never received new towels or maid service either. The pros: the concierge was extremely helpful setting up hair appointments, booking architecture tour tickets, and recommending pizza places and they allowed us to check out 90 minutes late.

Overall, I wouldn't spend the money for the "hip" W hotel in city center. There is a beautiful JW Marriott across the street, Club Quarters less than a block away (other guests stayed in these hotels and said it was quite nice) so consider those options. It was "meh" and as my first time in a W, very underwhelming.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ASLLN6750
WCCsv, Executive Office at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Hello and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your W Chicago City Center experience.

I am sorry we missed the opportunity to wow you -please contact me directly on your next Chicago and I will ensure a smooth stay in a more comfortable room

Thanks again for the review.

boston
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had a wonderful weekend in the Windy City. Our stay at the W Hotel City Center was made all that much better by the help of their amazing concierge- Eden Benal. She got us tickets for the architectural river cruise, wonderful breakfast recommendations and over all great service.
The only thing lacking at the hotel was the on site restaurant. Don't bother eating there.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
WCCsv, Executive Office at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hello and thank you for the review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us at W Chicago City Center and Eden was amazing!

We value your loyalty, please come back to see us when your travels bring you back to Chicago -and give IPO another try as well.

Quincy MA
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We spent four nights at W Chicago, located right in the middle of the Loop. It is within walking distance to the Field Museum and Grant Park. As it is primarily a financial district, at night there is not much entertainment in the immediate neighborhood and you’ll need to walk, cab or take the conveniently located train to and from most nightlife. Our room was large, with a comfortable king-sized bed and modern chaise lounge for reading. The room had no view but did have a desk, something that I use while travelling. The room had no tub; call and ask if this is a feature you look for. As SPG Starwood members, we got good service but had to iron over a glitch in booking which would have divided our stay over two rooms. We straightened this out, but after this experience and after reading other reviews, be aware that how you book a room may cause issues and affect the quality of the room you are given. Like all Ws, the lobby is self-consciously ultramodern, with disco-moody world music playing loudly at all times. The bartender seemed offended when asked if it was possible for her to make a non-alcoholic version of a drink (it was not) and surprisingly did not have a friendly, or even friendlyish, response to what is a standard bar question. Self-serve coffee from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. in the lobby was an appreciated touch.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello and thanks for your feedback!

It seems we hit the mark for your Chicago escape on most but not all categories..please contact us direct when your travels bring you back -please give us the opportunity to amp up your stay!

We value your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and W Hotels of Chicago -we look foward to having you back!

Cheers,