“Trying too Hard!”

W Chicago - City Center
Ranked #108 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We were booked into this hotel for a one day conference. If it hadn't been in the middle of our stay, I would have moved. The lobby is a beautiful space with old architectural affects, but it is lit with purple, blue and pink neon. Way Too Cool for a sophisticated hotel. There is very loud "hip" music playing all the time. The public spaces are nerve wracking. But the elevators top it all! If you were stuck in one for any time, you would end up a gibbering mess. They somehow have a 3D effect with planets? in blue, purple and tan seeming to float at you. But the planets are not in focus, so you continually try to get in a place where they will all seem right. There is loud music playing here also and a sickly sweet odor. I think they haven't figured out how to assault your taste buds or there would have been a flavor. We were on the 15th floor and the noise from the "L" was noticeable. The bed was very comfortable and the other furnishings were fine if not so comfortable. The bath was a nice size, but nothing special, the same old tub with a shower head. The towels were very thin. Our view was into the other rooms of the hotel. I think it is too far away from the fun places to suit me.
The staff was very courteous and professional. Our bellman was even a little apologetic over the excesses of the hotel. I was annoyed over the $15 charge to use the internet in the rooms and a charge to use the business area. There is a free connection in the lobby, but no one could ever do any work there. I did like the FareWell kiosk, which allows you to check out and print your boarding pass. But all in all, I would prefer a calm soothing place to stay.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
WChicagoCityCenter, Marketing Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2009

Why hello there!

Thank you for offering your candid feedback regarding your recent business escape with us. While we are within walking distance to major businesses, shopping, theatre, and the lake, W Chicago – City Center can certainly have an urban feel to it. Next time you escape with us I encourage you to take our complimentary Acura Car to your dining and nightlife destinations. It runs daily and can drop you off anywhere you fancy downtown!
Nestled in the loop and constructed in 1928, the W is truly a city experience! The W design team has taken the elegent elements of the building and added a W contemporary twist to them – dramatic uplighting, music, etc. Quite the sharp contrast of old and new indeed!
We hope the loop location was good for your conference, and looking forward to WOW-ing you in the future.

Jessica Y.
Marketing Manager

There are newer reviews for W Chicago - City Center

Reviewed 30 June 2009

We stayed at the W Chicago City Center for one weekend night with one child. As a Starwood preferred gold member we were upgraded and I must say the room was excellent and large with a very large bathroom. The room faced the interior courtyard and was very quiet. Furnishings are very nice but W needs to learn a thing or two from Westin about comfortable beds. The "Style" department (come on - don't try so hard to be cool!) brought a cot for our daughter promptly. We did not eat here or use room service. The location really is excellent for the financial/theatre district and close to Millenium/Grant Park and the Museums. Quite a walk to Magnificent Mile however. Overall -we will stay here again for the location and ability to utilize Starwood points.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank JandS_8
Reviewed 26 June 2009

LOCATION: May seem a bit far from Magnificent Mile, but Chicago is big, so this location was good. In the financial area, so the weekend is less busy here. Just a 10 minute walk to the lake or Millennium Park and 20 minutes to the Wrigley Building.

ROOM: Good size. Very modern and contemporary. Cool decorations. Great amenities and Bliss bathroom products.

HOTEL: The lobby and public areas are unique and chic. The location is not the best, but if you get a good rate, don't mind the walk, then this hotel is great!

CITY: Chicago has so much to offer. Just consult your tour book.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dal-n-lana
Reviewed 9 June 2009

I stayed here as I got a great prepaid rate of $109 for a Friday and Saturday night (unsure of why this hotel was so cheap until I got there!). I was also celebrating my birthday. We checked in around 10pm and first noticed that the lobby was great looking however we had the smallest room I have ever been in! We fell asleep and in the middle of the night the airconditioner stopped working, we called the front desk and they said they would send someone to fix it. We waited and no one came up. We called again and finally the engineer came up. Then the remote control for the TV didnt work, we had to wait again to have someone fix this.

After the AC and tv remote was sorted out, the bathroom sink broke...one more thing that was adding to our horrible stay. We talked to the front desk and they moved up to another room...the service never changed...we ordered tea the next morning and it took about 40 minutes to get to our room. We requested a late check out as our flight out wasnt until 7, and this took a solid 35 minutes to sort out.

The location is probably good during weekdays, but on weekends NOTHING in the area is open!! We were not able to find anywhere to have breakfast in the morning, dunkin donuts was closed...everything was closed, which explains why we got such a great rate at the hotel.

I expected more from this hotel holding the W name and was seriously let down.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phyllo6
WChicagoCityCenter, Marketing Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2009

While we are within walking distance to major businesses, shopping, theatre, and the lake, W Chicago – City Center can certainly have an urban feel to it as it is nestled in the center of the loop. On behalf of the W brand I apologize for all of the W-OOPS moments you encountered during your escape with us. I hope you will give us another shot so that you may have an understanding of the true Whatever/Whenever experience!

Jessica Y. Marketing Manager

Reviewed 1 June 2009

I booked the W hotel City Center because the hotel was close to amtrak and had an aarp discount. My senior citizen husband and I had a comfortable quite room. Staying at the W is like staying in a piece of art. Design is everywhere (even in the business center). A stunning lobby and swank elevator.

When we arrived the lobby was full of 20/30ish stylishly dressed people enjoying drinks, food and conversation. Check in was quick and the staff was very helpful.

Location, location. This hotel is 4 blocks or so from the Chicago Union Station and about 3 blocks from the Art Institute of Chicago.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2009

If you stay here, ask for a room on the upper floors. Why? Because you can't hear the L as much, and because the rooms haven't been renovated yet. The renovated rooms look like a page out of an Ikea catalog. White, cheap furniture. I was reminded of the super-small rooms you get in European hotels where all the furniture is attached to the walls. Other than the noise and the decor, the rooms are fine. Love the Bliss toiletries, room service was prompt and accurate, wake-up calls came on time, and the facilities were clean. The A/C was broken in the workout room, but it was the first hot day of the year so they probably weren't prepared. Overall, my stay was average. If you plan to stay here, pack your earplugs and get a room on the 18th floor.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank letsgo0812
WChicagoCityCenter, Marketing Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2009

We are truly sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations for the W brand. We ensure you that our furniture was created exclusively by the W Hotels Design team for the comfort of our guests. In implementing our recent 35 million dollar renovation our design team carefully thought of the guest experience – installing sound proof windows and creating more space by making it brighter and recessing furniture.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us - both positive and constructive.

Jessica Y.
Marketing Manager, W Hotels of Chicago

Reviewed 11 May 2009

This is a typical W with over the top styling. The lobby is nice, and had a nice bar scene at night. Room service is a disaster, don't bother using it. Also, there is a tie-in with Acura where the hotel will drive you to a destination for free in an Acura MDX.

As for the rooms, I was traveling with a colleague and we both booked the same type of room. Apparently, I was given a newly renovated room that was just put back online that week, which was verified by the fresh paint smell in the room. The room was very clean, and was what you would expect at a W. It was nice, and there was plenty of workspace. Though, it was quite possibly the smallest bathroom I've ever seen. My colleague, however, compared his room to an old Holiday Inn room that had been redone in the W style.

Room service was a disaster. I ordered a bowl of cereal and banana for breakfast. Over an hour later, I was brought a meal that was completely wrong. After calling to get the correct meal, I was promised it would be brought up, but it never happened. Though, to their credit, I was not billed for the meal.

They gym is nice, with several elliptical machines, treadmills, and weight machines.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business