W Chicago - City Center
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Pool
2,680 results
All reviewseden bernalw insiderbliss productsspectacular roomthe financial districtwillis towerthe loopconcierge serviceupgraded roombusiness tripart instituterooms are smallfew blocksmillennium parkipolobbyhernan
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Overall I would say this hotel is unlike any other I have stayed at - they are clearly trying to achieve a vibe of cool/ hip/ sexy/ nightclub, as evidenced by the waitresses in the lobby! My room, though small, was far enough from the elevator that it was quiet and met my needs. My major issue with the room was I always had a bit of trouble turning off the many, many lights in the room - above the bed, the nightstand, across othe rparts of a (tiny!) room and BELOW the bed.

The bathroom was also tiny but very well cleaned & kept, and stocked with Bliss products which I loved.

Overall it was fine for my purposes which was just to sleep late and wake up early but the ambience was definitely worth noting.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2009

Service: Very friendly, very accommodating front desk service. We had an issue the first morning with the hot water and the staff addressed it immediately and did not have a problem for the remainder of the stay. We received cordial, professional customer service from every member of the staff. The one concierge assistant we dealt with had some basic knowledge of local restaurants and sights to see. But also - and it's not the hugest deal - I needed to get to a Walgreens and she was unable to direct me to the closest one, which I later found to be only a block and half away.

Amenities: The gym was awesome - each cardio machine has an individual TV, updated equipment, and plenty of space to stretch. They offer headsets for each of the machines in case you don't have one, and water bottles and fruit. The rooms come with Bliss Spa products, which I thought was a nice touch. The large flat screen TV + cable was a major plus, and our room also had a DVD player, which we used.

Lobby area: There is free Wi-Fi in the lobby area, which is nice. If you want Wi-Fi in the room, you have to pay for it. Luckily the lobby area was never crowded to the point where we couldn't sit comfortably to surf the web. The only complaint I have about the lobby area is that the music they have playing (techno, which rarely changes) is usually on medium volume or blasting. I get that it's supposed to have a "loungy"-type atmosphere, and I can appreciate that concept. But it would have been nice to hear other genre's of music, i.e. Mowtown, swinging jazz, and/or some groovy 80's pop/rock, just to name a few :).

Food: We never tried the restaurant, but we had some appetizers (Italian meat plate and gourmet olives), and it was pretty good.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Betty C
Reviewed 5 July 2009

Ok, I booked through hotwire.com for a 4 star for $105 and got the W Hotel city center in Chicago. I called right away because I just wanted to be sure their base rooms had two beds. Anything booked online automatically gets you their "cozy" room. This room is 10'x12' and is sooooo small. We were guranteed a king size bed despite the room size. I argued and argued with hotwire.com and they could've cared less, we were stuck with one bed rooms.

I get to the hotel and they offer to upgrade us to a suite for an additional $150. They promise a king size bed, 2 bathrooms, a pull out couch, and room for a cot. We say ok. We get up to the "suite" and there is no pull out, 1 bathroom, and it's tight. We go to my friends cozy room and there is a queen size bed there. I go to the front desk and complain and they put my friends in an ADA accessible room (handicap accessible) and offer us another suite to check out. I go up to the ADA room and its HUGE and beautiful. And has a king size bed and they gave it to us for the original online booking fee. The second suite was no better than the first. So I go back down and ask to be in an ADA room too and they comply. So they took off the $150 suite fee and put us both in ADA rooms. These rooms are also directly tied to the fire escape and the windows open fully for some reason so we had a great little balcony to go out on.

ASK FOR THE ADA ROOM, SAY YOU HAVE A HANDICAP PERSON OR WHATEVER. ITS WORTH IT.

The hotel is beauitful, beds comfortable, and their motto is "whatever, whenever" in reference to whatever your wish is.

I did have a run in with the security guard telling me I couldn't bring beer into the hotel for my room. A quick conversation with the front desk fixed that, but it was still very rude.

It is VERY frustrating booking online when you don't get what you expect. Hopefully those of you that book online and are frustrated too know to get an ADA room and all will be well.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank chrayug
WChicagoCityCenter, Marketing Manager at W Chicago - City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2009

Well hello there and thank you for posting your feedback regarding your escape with us. I apologize you had some W-OOPS moments in getting your room type squared away. Given that our building was constructed in 1928 no room is exactly identical – so I am glad you found a spot that made you feel at home on this escape and future ones!

Awaiting your return,

Reviewed 1 July 2009

Traveling with my husband and granddaughter. The valet's at the door were awesome, especially Pria (Paul) he actually made our stay there a little bit more enjoyable. As we entered the hotel I felt it was a little dark. My only problem with my stay was the front desk person on duty that night 6/25/09 and concierge they were not customer friendly at all. I booked my reservation on priceline and when we checked in we were given a queen book when I went to the front desk to request two double beds the gentleman at the front desk advised me the hotel was full and explained I had a child with me, he was not very sympathic reminding me that I did book my reservations on priceline, I had to walk away at that point. In my mind it shouldn't matter if I did booked at discount site.
Later I spoke with the manager Mr. Jones and he was very helpful but the damage had been done. I would not recommend this hotel for travelers with small children, you have to go practically through the lounge or bar to get to the elevators and they did not have a swimming pool not kid friendly.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ACD50

Why hello there. Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent escape with us. Im so sorry your granddaughter did not have a place to make a splash! Should we be fortunate enough to have you escape with us again (discount site or not!) I would love to introduce you to our sister property, W Chicago Lakeshore, just 2 miles north of us where we have a pool, WET. And we can have Pouia or Mr. Jones arrange for our complimentary Acura car to take you to W Chicago Lakeshore!

Looking forward to making a splash with you soon!

Reviewed 30 June 2009

We were booked into this hotel for a one day conference. If it hadn't been in the middle of our stay, I would have moved. The lobby is a beautiful space with old architectural affects, but it is lit with purple, blue and pink neon. Way Too Cool for a sophisticated hotel. There is very loud "hip" music playing all the time. The public spaces are nerve wracking. But the elevators top it all! If you were stuck in one for any time, you would end up a gibbering mess. They somehow have a 3D effect with planets? in blue, purple and tan seeming to float at you. But the planets are not in focus, so you continually try to get in a place where they will all seem right. There is loud music playing here also and a sickly sweet odor. I think they haven't figured out how to assault your taste buds or there would have been a flavor. We were on the 15th floor and the noise from the "L" was noticeable. The bed was very comfortable and the other furnishings were fine if not so comfortable. The bath was a nice size, but nothing special, the same old tub with a shower head. The towels were very thin. Our view was into the other rooms of the hotel. I think it is too far away from the fun places to suit me.
The staff was very courteous and professional. Our bellman was even a little apologetic over the excesses of the hotel. I was annoyed over the $15 charge to use the internet in the rooms and a charge to use the business area. There is a free connection in the lobby, but no one could ever do any work there. I did like the FareWell kiosk, which allows you to check out and print your boarding pass. But all in all, I would prefer a calm soothing place to stay.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business

Why hello there!

Thank you for offering your candid feedback regarding your recent business escape with us. While we are within walking distance to major businesses, shopping, theatre, and the lake, W Chicago – City Center can certainly have an urban feel to it. Next time you escape with us I encourage you to take our complimentary Acura Car to your dining and nightlife destinations. It runs daily and can drop you off anywhere you fancy downtown!
Nestled in the loop and constructed in 1928, the W is truly a city experience! The W design team has taken the elegent elements of the building and added a W contemporary twist to them – dramatic uplighting, music, etc. Quite the sharp contrast of old and new indeed!
We hope the loop location was good for your conference, and looking forward to WOW-ing you in the future.