“Depends on your idea of good”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #74 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Orlando, Florida
“Depends on your idea of good”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

First of all, the good points: this hotel is half a mile to the Navy Pier, has an expansive free breakfast, indoor pool that was relatively clean and spacious rooms. Although, I can't say for sure, I think the State St location has slightly bigger rooms.

We stayed for 4 nights in June with 2 adults and 3 children. I always travel with a small fan because I cannot stand hearing a ton of noise. We were on the 9th floor and I could hear cars peel out on the street, followed 10 seconds later by police sirens all night the first night. So, to add to my fan, the second night I played nature sounds on my phone as well.

My husband slept on the pull out couch and could hear the morning crew readying breakfast at 5am just as if they were outside the door. The atrium effect that all Embassy Suites have.

Thereafter, we could hear people in rooms on both sides of us. One with a baby that cried half the night and the other a room full of drunks guffawing until 3 am. This is something I have yet to experience in a hotel. I read about it all of the time. So another night with little sleep.

You have to go in through a lower entrance, then elevators to get to the lobby/reception. The bellmen quickly pointed us the way. There's an underground area where I guess the bellman will call a cab for you, but none ever offered when we were standing there. So we just walked out to the street and waved one down.

If you're up for walking, a lot of places are within walking distance here. After walking from the red line, all over the airports, to and from the Navy Pier, my 4 year old had had enough. So we spent a bit more on cabs than planned.

We were very close to the Mile and walked the 2 blocks to window shop a couple of nights. There is a Dominick's grocery store across Columbus that has every thing you could need.

I am on a restricted calorie diet and found the breakfast to be a bit difficult for me, but if you like cereal, yogurt and skim milk, this will work for you. Breakfast every day we were there was eggs, hash browns, sausage, bacon, and pancakes. They also had fruit but it looked like it had been rolled in liquid goop. If you were patient, there is an omellette station. There's everything to drink and I was especially pleased to find apple juice and a soda machine. I've given up soda, but happy to see it as an option.

In every other Embassy Suites we've stayed in there was bottled water in the room on the check in, then after so many days. No bottled water and the vending machine dropped frozen solid drinks.

All in all, I don't think I would stay here again. I don't think it was horrible by any means, but if I'm going to pony up close to 3 a night, I want it be nicer than this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank fiddlestix36

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I just returned yesterday from a four night stay at the Embassy Suites Lakefront Downtown Chicago, Il, hotel. The staff is so wonderful, it's worth going there alone for that. We loved "Shirley" at the breakfast every morning and loved the wonderful greeting we received each time we returned or left the hotel. The breakfast was great and we loved the managers reception everyday at 5:30. Great location, within walking distance to "The Magnificent Mile." We had a lakefront room on the 17th floor and the view was fabulous. We were 2 blocks from the Navy Pier and we saw the Fireworks on the 4th of July and on Saturday. Loved all the places we could buy food in the area such as grocery stores and walgreens for personal items. Made our trip wonderful!

Room Tip: Pick a lakefront from on a high floor. 17th is the highest.
kansas city
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I've stayed in a few Embassy Suites across the country and I would say that this one is right on par with the others and with what you would expect from a family-friendly hotel. The staff was excellent and super friendly (special shout out to Dwayne, the bellman, who spoke to us every single time we passed him). We stayed July 4 - 7 and there was some sort of Irish Dance competition going on. We spent a lot of time on Thursday and Friday waiting for elevators that weren't full by the time they reached us on the 12th floor. Our room was average and clean, but the pillows completely suck and gave me the worst neck ache. We went for the manager's reception the first night and after waiting 20 minutes in line for a drink...decided it wasn't worth it and hit up Dominick's across the street so we could just make our own cocktails in the room. Overall, this is an average hotel with friendly staff and a great location, but prepare to wait for elevators, drinks and breakfast during busier time periods.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Location and breakfast were the 2 best aspects of this hotel! We had a spacious room (challenging to find adequate space for 5 in any big city, without renting 2 rooms) with a great view of the lake. Breakfast was terrific, convenient and a huge savings for our family. We walked to Navy Pier and up to the John Hancock building, the bellmen were very helpful in grabbing a taxi for us to quickly get to the museum campus. The AC was great, we actually turned it down several times, it cooled so quickly. The beds and pillows were very comfy. The tub drained very slowly and quickly filled up with water when showering. We reported it twice to front desk but nothing happened. Other than that minor maintenance issue, it was a great stay in a great hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a high room & a lake view!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I have spent two nights at this hotel with my husband and three kids. The kids loved the location - in the same building of movie theatres and a Bowling and walking distance from Navy Pier. Room was large and facing the lake. Price was reasonable.
The hotel lobby however, seems like a Central Station. Always crowded with huge lines for breakfast and the elevators. Bad service at breakfast (had to clean the table myself so the kids could sit). Room was not ready when we arrived in the morning (ok, it was not yet Check in time) and neither at 4 in the afteroon (1 hour after Check in time!). Reception gave us a free Wi Fi access to compensate the delay. To get to the street level you need to take two different elevators, and that may be a pain when the lines are long.

1 Thank brasil80
Albuquerque
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We would agree with Sperie. We were at the hotel July 3-6. First I would say that the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The room was clean, plain (good), with one small window in the living room, one large one in the bedroom from which we could actually see the Navy Pier fireworks, but no one at the hotel seemed to know that or could tell us that (we'd asked where we could see them). It was too hot to walk anywhere, but the hotel was in a good location.
The pool was nice, but very small. The atrium was huge and overly crowded at breakfast and the manager reception. You had to really want a free drink to stand in line for 20+ minutes. We would gladly have paid to sit down in a quiet space and have somebody bring us a glass of wine but that wasn't possible. PJ Clark is in part of the building, but very loud. The food there was very average.
The 'hoards' of people in the lobby was the most disagreeable aspect in addition to the waiting for a drink. The piano that was actually a computer was wierd. Somehow it represented what we didn't much care for about this hotel...very cookie cutter, very uninviting and impersonal in the public space.
The tv movie procedure is confusing and you could end up being charged $20.00 (with all the taxes) for a movie...which I thought was extremely expensive.

Room Tip: We had a 16th floor corner suite on the south east and had a good view with partial lake view. It wa...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Dear Guest -

Thank you very much for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We always appreciate positive comments but we also welcome constructive feedback because our goal is to improve and in our business the improvement process never stops.

I am delighted to see that our team members were exceptionally friendly and gracious. This above all else made my day! Our thought process is that other hotels can out-perform us in a specific product but no one should ever out-perform us in gracious and hospitable service delivery and service attitude. So thank you kindly for recognizing our staff for their service.

With respect to our breakfast and evening manager's reception, I will accept your feedback and constructive comments. You were with us over the 4th of July holiday week when we experienced high occupancies. We were sold-out each night that week and served approximately 1,400 guests at breakfast and about 1,000 guests at the evening reception. While the complimentary breakfast service lasts for three and a half hours each morning, a vast majority of our guests joined us for breakfast during the last hour of this meal period and that unfortunately caused some service and seating delays. We anticipated serving larger volumes of guests and scheduled more servers and provided extra seating along the perimeter of the Sky Lobby but the last minute crowds were over-whelming and caused some guests to wait in line. We regret this inconvenience deeply and I assure you that we will continue to learn from these service issues and improve.

I also apologize if you found the in-room entertainment system too complex to manage. Please let me know if you were charged too much for a program as I will be happy to offer a complete refund.

Thank you again for your posting and detailed feedback. I certainly hope you will come back and stay with us again. We would be honored to serve you. In the interim, we wish you and your family a wonderful and a safe summer!

Warmest regards,

Syed E. Hasan
Erie, Michigan
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed at ES Jul 1-Jul 4, had room 1526, nice view, large room. The weather was unbearably hot and the A/C worked wonderfully. The beds were nice and comfy. It was nice that there was an extra sink in the bed room, plus the bathroom sink and then a sink with the coffee pot, fridge etc. The location was great. Walking distance to everything. The Dominick's store across the street was a huge plus. They have everything you could need there. The elevators are the fastest I have ever seen in a hotel. Staff was very friendly.

However the lines for the breakfast/ reception were crazy. You need to get to breakfast EARLY. The biggest problem was that our keys constantly became de- activated. Several times every day I needed to go to the front desk to have them reactivated. We had 4 keys (1 for everyone) and only 1 of the 4 would work.

I would still recommended the hotel it's not luxury but it served our needs.

1 Thank sperie