“Comfortable and convenient”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #79 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 30 January 2013

First stay at this location in several years. Was there for just one night in conjunction with a near-by business event at Lucky Strikes (around the corner). I was a little tentative about staying there after reading some of the recent reviews (e.g. long lines, noisy, etc.), but my stay was fine. Rooms were comfortable and quiet. Didn't have any issues with noise. The line at the manager's reception was a bit long, but moved quickly. The line at breakfast was minimal and moved very quickly. Breakfast options were excellent.
The location was great. Very convenient to my business event and is also convenient to getting onto lower Wacker drive which made the commute to the office (South Wacker near Union Station) quick and painless.
One possble improvement would be to offer more rooms with just a King bed. At least on the website the only Kings appeared to be in ADA equipped rooms.
Overall very nice stay. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile

Reviewed 29 January 2013

This was just a short get away weekend. Having lived in Chicago I knew I wanted to be close to the major tourist attractions but just far enough off the beaten path that I wouldn't struggle to get through the lobby.

Free breakfast and cocktail hour are nice. They're packed as you might imagine but the breakfast is worth it.

Valets were very nice as was the front desk.

Because it's an atrium floor plan, the "living room" portion of the suite can be a bit noisy with outside noise but the bedroom was quite and the suite was well appointed with everything we needed.

I'd stay here again.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed here for my bday this past weekend and found the staff super helpful. Great value for the location. Parking was costly however self-park option was lower priced. The staff found out I was there for my bday and traveling with my teenagers so they sent up a free bottle of wine, platter of cheese, free movie rental and snacks for the teens. Breakfast was made to order, yummy and free. The line for breakfast was somewhat long but worth it.

The pool was smaller then I thought it would be but clean. Rooms were clean and spacy, perfect size for our two teens and two adults. We will def be back once the weather is nicer to enjoy more of the location treats outside (navy pier).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My husband and I celebrated our daughter's 13th birthday by planning a weekend overnight in Chicago with a few of her close friends. Our stay at the Embassy Suites was very enjoyable. The rooms were large, clean, and well-appointed for the cost. The complimentary breakfast was a real savings, as we were a party of 7. My special requests were met without question. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. The hotel is conveniently located, within walking distance to most attractions. We would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

This property is in a great location. You are close to Michigan Avenue and Lake Michigan. I was happy with the price, especially for a weekend rate. Not to mention they include a free cocktail hour and continental breakfast, which is a rarity among downtown hotels in Chicago.

My husband & I stayed at this hotel while visiting his brother and wife. My husband & I frequently visit Chicago due to his brother living there. The main reason why we chose this hotel is because his brother has a condo on the same city block. So we stayed here for convenience. We, also, had four other family members stay at the hotel as well. We reserved three rooms total.

The rooms have a seperate bedroom and living area with a sleeper sofa. There were two flat screen tvs, a fridge, and microwave. They had a sink and mirror in the bedroom. There was a table and some chairs in the living area as well.

We were all pretty happy with the accomodations, especially at the price. The rooms are pretty spacious. The rooms were very clean. I loved that they had Crabtree & Evelyn bath products.

I would have to say that the rooms are showing some wear and tear. Some of the furniture has nicks and dents and in the bathroom the wallpaper is starting to peel off. The beds are pretty small. They are doubles, I prefer having queen size beds. I love the concept of the cocktail hour in the evening, however the line is ridiculous long. To me it was surely not worth the wait. If you want continental breakfast go at the suggested times so you don't have to wait or else you will be waiting a very long time in line. I'm a very early riser, so I never experienced a wait. My sister stayed here about a month ago and I was visiting at the same time and I witnessed the super long line. The elevators can get congested at certain times. Those times mainly being the free cocktail hour, continental breakfast, and checkout. Internet charges are also pretty pricey. This was not a big deal for us, since all of us have smart phones with internet included.

Overall I would have to say I was pretty satisfied with our stay. We were able to check-in early, which we were extremely appreciative of. I am sure I will probably be staying here again in the future due to the close proximity to my brother-n-laws condo.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
GM_CHIRE, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear Guest -

Thank you very much for your detailed review of the hotel on TripAdvisor. Your candid feedback was very helpful and we are delighted that you elected to stay with us.

I am so glad that you liked our hotel location and found the accommodations spacious and comfortable. We at the Embassy Brand are very proud of our core features of a two-room suite, the complimentary breakfast and the nightly two-hour cocktail reception. As you experienced first-hand, this is a wonderful value proposition and separates us from many other hotels.

I do apologize for the torn wallpaper in the bathroom as well as the nicks you found on the furniture. This is completely unacceptable and we regret this very much. I assure you this will be corrected immediately as I have already reviewed this with our management team to avoid any future occurrence.

Thank you again for your stay and your immensely valuable feedback. I sincerely hope you will look us up again the next time you visit beautiful Chicago.

In the meantime, we wish you all the best and safe travels!

Warm regards,

Syed E. Hasan

Reviewed 26 January 2013

Great hotel option near Michigan Avenue...

Positives:
1) Location - Two blocks north of the River and two blocks to Michigan avenue. It can seem far from the "L" line with luggage, but I walked from the Lake/Clark stop to the hotel in 15 minutes with luggage (but it was cold). It is also three blocks to Navy pier.
2) Embassy Suite rooms - two big rooms with the bathroom between. You will not even hear your kids in the front room with two doors shut. Very large rooms for Chicago.
3) Breakfast - huge breakfast bar, omelettes, bacon, sausage, etc. Note - the omelettes are not as big as at other Embassy suites (mass production).
4) Beautiful atrium - Just go the 16 or 17th floor and look down - amazing
5) Dominic's Supermarket - There is a food supermarket across the street, open 24 hours.

Negatives:
1) It is big hotel - 450 rooms. There are lines to check in, to get your free drink at the manager's reception, and the elevator. They even provide a warning to eat early as the breakfast lines are bad.
2) Older property - The rooms are starting to show wear and tear. I did not have any maintenance issues, but the wallpaper was falling down in the corner, dings in the wall, chips in the furniture

It seems this place has gotten very popular with families. I have a family myself, but came in on MLK for a business conference and the place was overflowing with kids in a gymnastic event.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank bmantravel
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I highly recommend the Embassy Suites Chicago Lakefront. This is a lovely, clean property and a great value. Included is a delicious, fresh cooked breakfast and manager's reception with free cocktails every night. While the weekend there was busy, the staff is stellar. The management is obviously outstanding. The staff is one of the most attentive and hard working I have witnessed. Everyone knows what their job is and gets it done with the utmost efficiency. The place is spotlessly clean! Shirley brightened our day each morning with her enthusiasm, kindness and positive demeanor. Thomas Blow is absolutely professional, helpful and a terrific manager! Furthermore, this is the perfect location for Chicago -right in the middle of everything. Rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable! You will love it here!