“Another Spectacular visit to Chicago”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #88 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Road the train from Dearborn, Michigan. A very un-stressful way to travel by the way. 4-1/2 to 5 hour ride and a beautiful way to see the landscapes and small towns in Michigan along the way. Arrived just before lunch and just a short cab ride from out hotel. Check in was a breeze even though our check in wasn't until 3:00 pm, Dina at the front desk checked us in within minutes and even upgraded our room (due to my birthday) to the 17th floor. She also called after we settled to let us know she had added a free movie for later on that evening. The morning breakfast buffet is a hustle and bustle of lots of families with children in for the week-end. It was fun people watching. Laura our hostess in the breakfast area was very friendly and efficient. She deserves a raise. Constantly filling and replacing and cleaning everything, with a bright Smile. Went to the bar for the managers reception later on that evening and Sead the bartender was very entertaining. He gave us suggestions for things to see and do and also made us laugh a lot. Brigette our housekeeper for three days was very accommodating and always a the ready with anything we needed. A+ Embassy - Always a nice and pleasant experience

Room Tip: If possible ask for the city view or a lake view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,337)

Reviewed 7 January 2014

No one told us at check in that the hot tub was down we found out the hard way when we went down to see it was UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!! It wasn't even on the website. When I made my reservation I asked if I could pay cash, They said yes of course ma'am. I got to check-in and the man said we do not except cash on weekends, this is understandable but I SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT WHEN I MADE THE RESERVATION! THAT WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF ME ASKING!! they made an exception for me to pay cash for the room but, I ended up having to transfer money for the incidentals to my debit card because they wouldn't take cash for it. I STILL HAVE NOT GOTTEN IT BACK ON MY CARD. $120 IS A LOT OF MONEY! That is more money then I spent on the room for the night. We were also supposed to be getting with our package 2 free movie passes, they said they ran out of them and we would have to go there and pay for them and come back, show receipt and they would reimburse the money. I will not be staying here again! The only person I did not have a problem with was Cody at the front desk. He was very accommodating. So I was supposed to spend 2 nights and ended up only spending one because I was so frustrated, I am not a hard person to please but this just put me and my boyfriend in a bad place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
GM_CHIRE, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Guest -

First of all, I would like to thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I understand that you were inconvenienced by the emergency repairs we had to do with the hot tub. As bad as this may sound, these repairs had to be done. I do hope this isolated incident will not deter you from visiting us again. With respect to paying in cash on the weekend, We will look into this and improve the process so that it does not inconvenience our valued customers.

Please know that your business is incredibly important to us and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered.

Cordially,

Syed E. Hasan

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Great location, friendly staff, great breakfast, good rates--- We wanted a mini family vacation and were very satisfied with our experience with this hotel. It was within 2 blocks of the Magnificent Mile. We were able to take in the Hancock building, Shedd aquarium and Field museum. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent . The line moved at a good pace. The rooms were clean and nicely furnished. There was some confusion over rates but this was resolved. I also appreciated their willingness to have a room cancelled in light of dire weather predictions.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed for New Year's Eve with grand kids. The only draw back is if you have a family of more than 2 adults & 2 kids, it's difficult to accommodate a large family. There are no connecting rooms, which makes it difficult to accommodate a large family. The room with 2 queen beds is a nice size with large windows, but the pull out couch living area is dark & cramped.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I really like the concept of this hotel. Good breakfast and some free drinks between 5pm and 7 pm. My only concern is the cleaness of the room. We were supposed to have a non- smoking room, but it smell the cigaret, and find some ashes on the carpet. I think that the vaccum should be past after each client. Also, you have to count 39$ more for the parking.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This is a very solid hotel in a great location in downtown Chicago. Staff was super accomodating and friendly. Beds were very comfy, room was clean, and it was quiet. I like suites with the extra sitting area, along with microwave and fridge, so that was great too. The breakfast lines were ridiculously long, and it was hard to find an open table. Eating from the breakfast bar is pretty fast (scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes), but the food is lukewarm. If you want an omelette, pancakes, or biscuits and gravy, you're going to wait in line 15-30 minutes. The food is good, once you get it, and the staff are very nice. The manager's reception at night was the same crazy line, and there was nothing of note for snacking, so we totally skipped that. I would stay here again because of the overall hotel experience and the location.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Hotel was clean and comfortable but service in lobby shop and long lines at breakfast and reception were crazy. It took more than 30 minutes to get breakfast due to the lines in the morning. At the manager's reception it wasn't worth waiting. The rooms and location of the hotel were good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family