Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #82 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Very nice hotel and centrally located. Handy to the river and to the Magnificent Mile (very pricey shopping). We were her for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the stay It is also close to a "Hop On and Hop Off" ride which we recommend.

Some of the bonus items are:
-free drinks and light snacks from 5:30 to 7:30 every evening. I never saw anyone abuse the alcohol and get intoxicated in spite of 2 hours of open bar
-Great breakfast - you could order it cooked to order or choose from a full buffet with eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes as well as cereals and limited selection of fruits. This s a great value as in other hotels for this I would expect to pay $18 to $24.

There are some items to improve on:
-INTERNET-usually it is $15 per day but in June, for a Promo it was free. However, you could only access it from one room of the suite and every time you signed off you had to go through the complete log-on process again
-DRINKING GLASSES. Looking at the maids carts there are no fresh, clean glasses on it so that means the maid washes your used glasses by hand in your sink, I assume. You may want to rinse a 2nd time before using them.
-DRAPES -they did not seem to fit adequately and you were sure of waking up early when the sun rose as the room filled with light. Take a sleep mask.

The Concierge, Doris Vann-Evans, was able to give us directions and answer all of our questions. She supplied tickets on the spot with reservations. The boat tour she booked us on was good but for photographers there are white bars above the seats to support a tarp in case of rain. Bars always got in the way for pictures.

All of the staff at street level were excellent at getting cabs, storing luggage, etc. I wish I had gotten the name of the young reddish hair bellman as he was excellent.

Jamie Murray, in the dining services was very attentive to our needs and stopped to talk to us for feedback on the dining services.

We Will stay here again!!

Room Tip: The higher up you are the less street noise, although there always seemed to be sirens, echoing in t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,306)

Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in order to be close to Lurie Memorial Children's Hospital, part of Northwestern. It was a large 2 room suite. We had a great view over lower buildings directly to Lake Michigan. We could walk to hospital in 5 minutes or take a quick cab ride. They served an abundant breakfast buffet each morning. Parking is additional. It the overall price for room and parking was very Reasonable considering the location and view.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2014

After staying one night at another property near O'Hare, my family of five plus one of their friends was ready to stay in downtown Chicago. I'm both a Marriott Rewards and Hilton Honors member, so I looked to book a last-minute reward stay at one of either brand's properties that could also accommodate six of us in one room (me, my wife, and four youths ages 16, 15, 14, and 12). We found the Embassy Suites Downtown Lakefront to have an available two-room (one BR) with two double-beds plus a sofa sleeper that would sleep six in total, and we booked it. The hotel is modern, fresh, and was within one mile of Millennium Park (the Bean), John Hancock Observatory (now called "360"), and other attractions that we wanted to hit. The best part of the stay? Breakfast! The complimentary breakfast offered cook-to-order omelettes, plus French toast, bacon, cereals, etc. The quality of food for a complementary breakfast completely exceeded our expectations, especially since we had just stayed at a competitor's hotel the night before. (Ugh, don't get me started on that one again.) The only negative with our entire stay at the Embassy Suites Downtown Lakefront was that the whirlpool was lukewarm, which was odd. Also, for family travelers, please note that the pool is more of a lap pool and won't offer much room for kids or teens to play. If you're not traveling with kids, then that's perhaps a positive. In summary, I've stayed at a number of other hotels in downtown Chicago (usually don't review them); however, this one for the price, amenities, and location, is definitely worth a look, ESPECIALLY if you are traveling as a family, want to be in one "room", and want the convenience of being downtown (fairly) near the Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, etc.

Room Tip: Like other Embassy Suites I've stayed in, all hallways that lead to rooms overlook an expansive...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Indy_Jones_500
Reviewed 2 June 2014

In my review of this hotel on May 26 (since removed by me) I blasted this hotel (and Hotels.com) for failing to provide us with a corner room with a king bed we had reserved five months earlier. On top of that, Hotels.com contacted the hotel and was told by a hotel staffer that our request had been honored and nothing would be done about our complaint.

It is only fair that I now happily report that the Embassy Suites Chicago/Lakefront has admitted its error and has offered settlement to us. While it took some strong letter writing to Hotels.com to accomplish this, it has been resolved to our satisfaction. I think my review on Trip Advisor might have had something to do with this settlement.

As I stated in my first stinging review, this hotel is perfectly located and had clean, spacious rooms. I will consider staying here again in the future based on these factors. I will, however, call the hotel directly and reconfirm everything prior to arrival, in spite of Hotels.com sending me an email three days prior to arrival telling me that reconfirmation is not necessary. I still don't understand how these hotels are able to take reservations and then not honor them.

Hotels.com has completely redeemed itself to me, along with the Embassy Suites Chicago/Lakefront to a lesser degree.

Thanks to Trip Advisor for providing a venue for these reviews that are most certainly being read by the hotel managers and room booking services.

Room Tip: Always call the hotel a couple of days prior to arrival to reconfirm your specified reservation, esp...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David M
GM_CHIRE, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Guest -

Thank you for your initial review and then the updated posting.

Yes, indeed the Trip Advisor comments are very important to our establishment and we read them with care. I apologize for the initial dissatisfaction with your room accommodations. That was unfortunate but I am pleased we were able to resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

Thank you again for staying with us and your positive comments about the hotel and its ideal location et cetera. We hope you will return in the not-too-distant future and accord us another opportunity to serve you properly by honoring your requested room-type and accommodations. In the meantime, please stay well and all the best!

Cordially,

Syed E. Hasan

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We enjoyed the views of Lake Michigan and being within a few blocks of the Magnificent Mile shopping and many other tourist destinations. The six-person Premium Suite, in the tower, was a little small for a family of six, but also very quiet. This was a very comfortable and clean hotel. The doorman and staff were especially friendly and welcoming (Anthony and Brian, to be precise). I would stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Hotel is very good. Hotel Parking is very expensive and no discount for staying at the hotel. Hotel Very Good but Parking very expensive. Park somewhere else. Hotel is very good. Hotel Parking is very expensive and no discount for staying at the hotel. Hotel Very Good but Parking very expensive. Park somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
1  Thank Wayne C
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Had a nice one night stay for business. It's a good hotel and would stay again.

PROS:
-I found the staff to be helpful and polite, especially in the breakfast area.
-Nice view out the window
-property looks new and well kept
-the wall with the real plants in the lobby with the fountain on the other side is attractive

CONS:
-I wonder how the disposable styrofoam cups at breakfast (for all beverages) reconciles with any sort of sustainability effort?
-The curtains in the room are the type you'd find at a budget motel and do not keep the sun out in the morning. So don't plan on sleeping in unless you have an eye mask
-breakfast food had many options, but felt institutional, taste and presentation - think styrofoam cups and overcooked omelette and take the tray to the table with you to eat the breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank _Mundo_Traveler_11