Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #76 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Dublin, Ireland
“Roomy”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Nice and roomy suites in a great location. The staff were very friendly and informative (despite us constantly pestering them for tourist advice and directions).
A nice feature is the "managers drinks reception", which consists of complementary drinks and nibbles in the evening.
Well worth a stay, and reasonably priced too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Turkish first
East Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We had a wonderful stay at this great hotel. The room was as advertised. Large, comfortable and clean; along with a great city view.

Our eleventh floor room not only had a great view of the city, the view down to the lobby truly takes your breath away.

Room Tip: If possible, stay on one of the higher floors. Anything from the 8th floor up offers wonderful view...
London, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed here with my son for march break. The hotel is beautiful and clean. Hotel has a pool, sauna and whirlpool. There is a free breakfast in the morning and at early evening they offer free drinks at the bar for a managers greeting. The room was clean and nice. Living room and bedroom in a separate room. Two TV's, couch, chair and a table. I really liked being able to look down into the atrium with the water feature and lobby.
Hotel is close to shopping and many restaurants. Found staff to be very friendly and helpful.
I wouldn't take a cab, use the bus system it is user friendly. Download the Chicago transit app on your phone.
I felt very safe here and would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Download the Chicago transit app on your phone and buy an unlimited ride card. So easy to use and ge...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

My wife, four year old son and I stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown Lakefront on our recent trip to Chicago. The hotels location can not be beat. It's a short cab ride from just about any tourist attraction most people would be interested in. The Shedd Aquarium is about a $10 cab ride away. The Field museum is next door and Soldier Field is right there also. The Art Institute is even closer (about an $8 cab ride). We took in a Cubs game which while not close, was super easy and fun to get to. We took the train. The subway stop is about a 10 minute walk away at Grand and State streets. The ride to Wrigley Field took about 15 minutes and our son loved it. Our first day there we walked to Navy Pier, which is about three blocks away, and rode the Ferris wheel and carousel. It was a great time. We stayed in room #1134 which had a view of Lake Michigan and the river. Thanks to reading a review a Trip Advisor I called ahead and requested a room that faced Navy Pier so we could watch the Wednesday night fireworks show from our room, which we loved.
The hotel is nice, but does have a few minor issues. The ground floor is pleasant but when you look at the upper floors in the atrium it looks very institutional. A few plants would go a long way. Second, you have to take two different elevators to get out of the hotel and to your room. And they are on opposite sides of the hotel from each other. The last issue is probably the biggest one. Our son slept on the fold out couch in the living room. Although he had no trouble sleeping on the bed I think anybody with a little more body weight might. The mattress was the worst I have ever encountered. I laid on it with him a few times and there is no way I could have slept on it. It was lumpy to the point that it felt like there were springs in it and they were about to come out. Again, for a small child it was fine, but anybody bigger might have some problems. It might be time to get some new mattresses.
The breakfast was nice but the omelette line was always at least a 10-15 minute wait. The pool was small but nice to have at the end of a day of sightseeing.
In addition to being a convenient location we also felt safe at all times. We walked around at night to different restaurants and never felt anything but safe. All in all a very good stay and we would stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Kalamazoo, MI
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My wife and I were celebrating our 54th anniversary and we stayed at this hotel. From the moment we checked in, the staff was wonderful. They provided us with a complimentary wine & cheese plate and Kendra at the front desk is certainly an asset to your hotel operation. She was so pleasant and helpful. Your hot, made to order breakfasts and your evening hospitality receptions were beyond our expectations. If / when you choose to stay in Chicago, I heartily recommend the Embassy Suites Lakefront as the hotel for you. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for lake view on high floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Minnesota
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed for 3 nights 4 days, I upgraded our room to include Wi-Fi, free snacks and a lakeside room. At $416.00 a night, the Wi-Fi never worked and we were on the 15th floor! The pool was closed for repairs, one of the reason we chosen to stay here with the kids. Had to call downstairs several times to ask if someone could look at the snack bar, because our code did not work, or it would not dispense the water or snacks, that we were paying extra for. Then when I went to check out there were additional charges on my bill, which they apologize for and corrected, but if I would of never said anything they would of just charged me.

Is located by everything. When asked for help on taking the subway or any other transportation they were not so friendly with helping us, it was as if we were bugging them. Coming from a state that we do all the driving ourselves in our own vehicles, and never have been on a subway, we were very disappointed.

Our teenagers were very disappointed with the Wi-Fi not working, and we paid a lot more money to have this.

I know other people had listed on there reviews about the snack center and Wi-Fi not working, should listen to what other people posted.

Breakfast was good, nightly reception was okay, if have plans to do something, do them.

Pool disappointed because it was broke! Ice machine were broke too, never were fixed either during the whole stay.

I guess for what we paid, we were disappointed. We stay every year at Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells in a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen, pay way less money and have a lot more fun.

Please consider your options with staying at the hotel, don't waste your money on upgrading your room with Wi-Fi or the snack center, never works, BIG WASTE OF YOUR MONEY!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
GM_CHIRE, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 4 November 2014
Dear Guest -

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our hotel. We apologize that your experience at our property was not a good one by any measure and I deeply regret the poor service you encountered and the non-functional WiFi in the guestroom. We want you to know that the comments we receive from our guests are taken very seriously and your suggestions will help us to improve for our other guests.

Our team members train every day to provide the best customer experience to guests like you and we deeply regret when we fall short. The swimming pool should not have been closed but unfortunately from time to time, we have to shut-down for emergency repairs or to sanitize the water due to above normal usage and stress on the filtration system. Clearly when a customer comes to the hotel expecting to swim and finds the pool out-of-order, then that is a failure on our part with our product delivery.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments and I apologize for the delay in responding to your message. I am not sure why we did not see your message sooner.
while I realize you currently have a poor perception of our building but I will still take the liberty, with utmost respect, to invite you back to the hotel for a second impression. I assure you that we will do everything to make the next visit memorable for you and your family. I will also ask that the next time you call me and make the reservation through my office.

I wish you safe travels!

Cordially,

Syed E. Hasan
Baxter, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Recently returned from a long weekend in Chicago. The Embassy Suites is what we were expecting. Just a couple blocks from Michigan Avenue and several blocks from Navy Pier, the hotel offers a great location.

Breakfast each morning was fantastic! There was a huge variety of hot and cold items, but please do me a favor...If you have one of the chefs make you an omelette, please tip them. I watched person after person receive their wonderfully made breakfast and walk away with barely a thank you. The Manager's Reception was good, not great, but good. The drink line got to be very long, and the snacks were just OK. I've stayed at other ES that had a mixture of hot and cold appetizers, salty and sweet. This was very basic each night, chips, dip, and veggies. One last picky criticism...It was always freezing in the reception/dining area. I'm from MN and can tolerate a lot, but this was kind of nuts.

My biggest disappointment was the cleanliness of our room. I do understand that with person after person staying night after night, rooms are bound to look a little tired, but when they aren't cleaned well, that seems kind of inexcusable. A dried up contact sat on our floor for two nights, and it wasn't ours. I'm also pretty sure that our counters weren't wiped down every day. Our housekeeper always left the extra towels and shampoo I requested, and the tip always disappeared, but the room wasn't always cleaned well.

If you're looking for a great location with nice amenities, this is a good choice for you.