“Everything you'd expect, no dissapointments”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile
Ranked #74 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Everything you'd expect, no dissapointments”
Reviewed 1 November 2009

This hotel lives up to its billing. It has a friendly staff, clean rooms, good complimentary breakfast, and a handy manager's reception nightly. The facility is well maintained, well appointed and almost feels like a luxury hotel.

The "suite" layout is ideal for a family vacation, especially with children who still need naps or go to sleep at night early, because the bedroom and living room are separate.

The location is fair, depending on your itinerary. Yes, Navy Pier is three blocks away and the Magnificent Mile is two blocks away; however, the red line of the L-train is 5 blocks away (closest station). There is a free trolley running on Illinois St and Grand Ave. at least on the weekend between Navy Pier and the Grand/State station; Embassy Suites is directly between these.

The cost is fair, as well. It would be nicer for hotel guests to pay less for parking, but I'm sure they charge what the market will bear. The actual room rate is competitive, if not slightly superior to other hotels in the area.

Dominick's supermarket is directly across Columbus Ave if you need supplies, but you should also consider Fox & Obel (one block toward Navy Pier on Illinois St) if you like a more up-market selection. They also have reasonably priced brown box meals to go, which are a nice contrast to the typical deep dish or deep fried vacation food.

1 Thank CCSconsin
GM_CHIRE, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 2 December 2009
We were deeply touched by your detailed and extremely thoughtful note you have posted on tripadvisor. Thank you for taking the time to chronicle all areas of the hotel where we exceeded your expectations. It is reviews like this that make our jobs as hoteliers so worthwhile and rewarding. There is nothing more exciting for me personally than to deliver a memorable hotel experience to a guest like you.

We are also thrilled that you liked our location with places like Fox & Obel and Dominick's just a few steps from our front door.

Thank you again for giving our staff, our product and service delivery high marks. It was an honor to serve you and we look forward to your return in the not-too-distant future!

In the meantime, please be safe and we wish you a wonderful holiday season!

Syed E. Hasan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Turkish first
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 October 2009

My wife and I stayed at this Embassy Suites for one night while attending our reunion in Chicago. We arrived about a half hour before check-in and did not get a room until about 45 minutes after check-in time. They gave us a nice room on the top floor so I guess I can't complain. The complimentary happy hour was very busy, but the bar tenders kept up pretty well. The room was very nice with a nice view. The complimentary breakfast was pretty nice, but again it was pretty busy. The breakfast was not as nice as some of the smaller Embassy Suites I have stayed at, but still pretty good.

We parked at a nearby parking garage for $31. You can valet park at the hotel for $39. We drove around a bit but couldn't find anything less than $31 for the night.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again if I needed to stay in downtown Chicago.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
GM_CHIRE, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 28 October 2009
Thank you very much for your kind and gracious comments. This is exactly the reason why we come to work and enjoy being hoteliers. There is absolutely nothing more satisfying and rewarding than to hear something positive about the guest's stay experience. This made our day!

Again, on behalf of the entire team here at Embassy Suites Chicago Lakefront, we appreciated your visit and hope to have the opportunity to serve you and your family again in the future.

Continued best wishes,
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Stayed at this hotel for a conference in late Oct 2009. I have some experiences to share:

1. This hotel has extremely bad cell reception throughout. My colleagues and I can't hear each other when calling from each other''s room, or calling from lobby to the rooms. I nicely pointed out this problem to the front desk supervisor ( no manager on duty at 8am in the morning), all she can say was "sorry" without ever acknowledge the problem.

2. Spoke with front desk twice trying to get some help on restaurant information reservation. The first night when I called, asked them to help me make a reservation about the Webber's restaurant. I was told that "on a Wed night, you don't need reservation for a party of three - just walk-in you will get a table". So my colleagues and I "walked - in", and it is a 45 mins wait. Apparently, nearly every night is like that. The second day, I tried to get some information about a good restaurant that I can take a client to. Again, they don't know anything, take a long time just to find out a phone number for a restaurant's (Shuler Steakhouse) which just across the street from them.

3. On my first day there, I tried to call the front desk by dialing "0". First try, maybe 15 rings, no one answered. Second try, after 10 rings, someone answered. I politely asked the girl if I should call a different extension to reach the front desk directly as I have been trying. The girl rudely said " I answered now" without even apologizing.

4. Although the room is pretty nice, the hall ways leading to my room smells bad.

5. On the plus side, they do have free breakfast in the morning, and free happy hour drinks in the evening.

I stayed at many hotels. The hotel has good "hardware" - rooms, lobby, etc. What they absolutely lacking is management, and employee training. By the way, their rates are not cheap, and very comparable with the Marriott which is .3 miles away, and beats their services quality by 200%.

I will not stay at any Embassy hotels if I can help it.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
As you can imagine, it is very disturbing to read a comment like yours. It is regrettable that there was some misunderstanding on our part about your reservation. This should never have happened but it did. It is also regrettable that the front desk agent was not able to manage the transaction with utmost concern and empathy for you.

Over the past three months, our hotel has embarked on the most thorough and focused re-training of our guest-contact team members. And I am happy to report that our hotel has achieved the highest scores for guest satisfaction in the entire company. It is quite evident from your note that no matter how hard we may have tried to improve our services, there is always room for improvement. We will take your feedback in good spirit and have all team members read your comment so that they understand that even a single disatisfied customer can have a huge impact on the perception of thousands of future guests who will visit Trip Advisor.com.

Again, we deeply regret that we failed to show you how much we care and how much we value your business especially in these very tough economic times. I, as the general manager of the hotel, will try even harder in the days ahead to provide the best experience for our future guests. I am deeply and profoundly sorry that we lost you as a customer for life.

St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 October 2009

We stayed here for a few nights on a family trip to Chicago. This hotel is in a great location - only a few blocks from Navy Pier and Michigan Avenue. The rooms were nice and clean - nothing special. The waits for food and the cocktail reception could be really long with people grabbing tables as quick as possible. However, for a free buffet - I shouldn't really complain! : )

We did the average "stuff" in Chicago - Navy Pier, Michigan Avenue, American Girl store, Lego store, Sears Tower and John Hancock Building. We took the water taxi from Navy Pier to Sears (Willis) Tower, which was fun for my son and more enjoyable than a taxi. We realized coming back that if we took the water taxi to Michigan Avenue - it was only a two block walk to our hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
North Carolina
Reviewed 24 October 2009

While traveling on business as a meeting planner, upon checking in, the extremely rude front desk said my pre-paid reservation for 4 nights had been cancelled by Orbitz.. After an hour of negotiations, that proved not to be true and we were given a smoking room because they said that's all they had (after they told us the hotel was sold out!). The morning of the 4th day, we found a check out notice under our door, and after another 30 minutes of negotiations, they allowed us to stay the 4th night. I had planned on bringing a group to Chicago in 2011 for a convention, however, because of this experience, I wouldn't even consider it! The hotel is lovely, but the staff does not come up to par!

1 Thank Laurie S
Albany
Reviewed 19 October 2009

I had probably the worst hotel experience ever here. Before I even checked in, my carryon bag with everything I needed most was stolen from the bell closet and no one there really seemed to take it seriously. Early when I had moved some things in and out of the bag while accompanied by a bellman, everything seemed fine until I came back to retreive my bags and the most important one with my laptop,camera, jewelry,car key, medicine, etc had been removed from the middle of a pile of three bags...very suspicious. AND to add insult to this, the hotel insurance says they are not responsible abover $250...BE VERY CAREFUL HERE, they do not seem to care about their guests or the safety of their belongings. I arrived on a Sunday and it was when I was leaving on Tuesday evening that the security officer handed me his card as I was getting in my cab for the airport.

2 Thank Winsomelife
Baltimore
Reviewed 16 October 2009

My cousin and I stayed here for 2 nights and had a great experience. This is a really nice property in a fab location - Navy Pier and the Magnificent Mile are both within walking distance. The hotel itself is atrium-style with a glass ceiling, so it feels really open and airy, which I liked. The room itself was really clean and seemed to have been recently updated. The towels were thick and plush, and the breakfast offered lots of options and was of good quality. Like some other reviewers mentioned, there were lots of families with kids staying here but it didn't bother us. The only thing I didn't like was that there was no place to get a coffee onsite. I arrived early for check in and while waiting for my cousin to arrive I asked where I could get a coffee. The front desk person said that there wasn't any place in the hotel to get one and that I'd have to wait until the bar opened. I can't remember the last time I stayed in a big chain hotel where there wasn't a coffee kiosk or Starbucks outlet in the lobby. Kinda weird. That's the only (admittedly minor) gripe I have. Overall my experience was good.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
GM_CHIRE, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 19 October 2009
Thank you very kindly for your wonderful note about our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you and your cousin had a pleasant experience with us and found our location between Michigan Avennue and Navy Pier quite appealing. Also, thank you for noticing our plush linen, our fully cooked-to-order breakfast and the $10 million renovations which we completed recently.

As general manager, I also appreciate your candid feedback about us investing in a coffee stand for our Sky Lobby. Please know that we are currently working on such a plan and hope to add this amenity for our guests in the near future.

Again, on behalf of our over one hundred devoted team members, we wish to thank you for selecting us during your recent visit to Chicago and for your very generous and gracious comments.