“Absolute Perfection!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Peninsula Chicago
Ranked #4 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
“Absolute Perfection!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at luxury properties all over the world and the Peninsula Chicago now makes our list as a top favorite and definitely our #1 choice for Chicago. The service is amazing - they have trained everyone to pay such attention to detail - it was so impressive! Everywhere we went in the hotel - they knew our names and it's not a small hotel...very impressed! The spa attendants knew I enjoyed green tea and always made sure it was seeping and ready for me before and after treatments. The rooms are very well appointed and luxurious - I love the separate dressing area and the bathroom was amazing (especially the TV in the bathtub!). We spent several after dinner evenings at The Bar and it's appropriately named as no other hotel bar comes close to matching the service and ambience. Also, our concierge, Douglas, was extremely helpful and so wonderful. Thank you to everyone at the Peninsula and we can't wait to return!

• Stayed October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ThePeninsulaChi, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear ChappaquaUSA,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago for your recent stay. We are flattered to learn you consider us as your #1 choice in Chicago, thank you! We appreciate your kind comments on the attention to detail, The Spa, your guest room and The Bar. We are grateful to hear Douglas was helpful as well and we all look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Polish first
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed here in part for a business meeting and then was joined by the family. I was able to pay more and get a larger room and was put in the Junior suite which was lovely. We have stayed here many times though, and the room we far prefer is the executive suite, which is the smallest suite available. It is by far the best bang for your buck. I like it much better than even the larger ones despite the additional square footage. The floor plan makes it feel larger and you feel more spread out. With that being said the Junior suite was perfect for three people and my daughter was able to use the pull out sofa for her bed instead of having to get a rollaway. It was lovely as always and the service can't be beat. The meeting facilities are top notch, I loved it. The best thing about this hotel though is the location. Also, all dining options are great too and super easy and convenient if you are a guest here, particularly if you have inclement weather. Overall wonderful and I don't know how you get much better than that.

Room Tip: The executive suite, which is the smallest suite available, is by far the best bang for your buck. I...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mitzicmich,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and for sharing your gracious feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed the meeting facilities for the business portion of your stay. We are grateful to hear you and your family were comfortable in the Junior Suite, accommodating your daughter on the pull-out sofa bed. We appreciate your kind remarks on the service and location, as well as the dining options in the hotel. We understand the Executive Suite is your preferred suite type; we will note this in your profile. Should you need assistance in booking your next stay, please feel free to reach out to me directly at (1-312) 573 6520 or via e-mail at RichardSorensen@peninsula.com.

USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

The only fault i could find with this hotel is that the lobby is on the 7th floor. Excellent from start to finish. Rooms are delightful and spacious. Staff are overly helpful and friendly and location can not be beaten. Gym and spa are great and offer all you would expect from a top line hotel e.g. headsets for the treadmill etc. If you can afford it no need to look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear VincentChase,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and for posting your kind review. We appreciate your feedback on The Lobby. Although The Lobby is located on the fifth floor of the hotel allowing for more privacy for our guests with less street noise distraction, we regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. We are pleased you enjoyed your guest room, the hotel’s location, Fitness Center and The Spa.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

OMG! Where do I start? It was a wonderous exoerience to step into Peninsula. Staff is more than 5 star!! they are 10 star!!!!

Everyone is so friendly and professional. Rooms are extremely clean and well equipped. Go for the high floor rooms and if you can splash out for the suites which have bathrooms with views!

The housekeeping service is so quick and efficient - they came up after 1 minute of calling - never seen that before....

The Spa is magnificent - enjoy pedicure and massage

Will definitely going back! Enjoy!

Room Tip: High floors, suites are amazing - away from lifts.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Derya K
Dear DKLONDONUK,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and for sharing your generous review. We are humbled by your comments on the staff and service and we appreciate your remarks on the guest room, housekeeping and The Spa. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Outstanding 5 star hotel, room beautiful with sitting area and dressing area. Beautiful spa and amazing pool. The staff cannot do enough for you. There is a wonderful bistro next door with wonderful breakfasts, snacks and lunches.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Sue E,

Thank you for staying at The Peninsula Chicago and for sharing your gracious review. We appreciate your kind comments, specifically on the guest room, The Peninsula Spa, staff and offerings at Pierrot Gourmet – our street-level Bistro-café.

Naperville, Illinois, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We went away for a couple of days, staying in downtown Chicago at the truly wonderful Peninsula Chicago hotel. We were super glad we stayed here: the luxury is top notch, the location was fantastic and the staff treated us like royalty. We'd recommend this hotel and hope someday to come back.

I had never heard of the Peninsula; it's located on Michigan Avenue in the posh high-end shopping district of Chicago, next to the land mark Chicago Water Tower and the Hancock Building. The hotel's postmodern building faces Michigan Ave with retail stores; slightly offset and above is the luxury hotel, with the entrance located on Superior Street. If you didn't know what you were looking at, you wouldn't know a luxury hotel was there.

Our room had a king sized bed, a beautiful master bath suite with separate bath/showers, sofa sitting area, a generous work desk, a very fancy HDTV with lots of AUX inputs, and a view of the city that was striking. The room had WIFI that worked ok, but the wired ethernet connected to the Internet much faster. This room was really very nice!!

The lobby was on the 6th floor. It featured a nice dining area, a bar area, and generous sit-down spaces for impromptu meetings. The atmosphere seemed to be more dressed up business like -- several business groups were holding meetings, but there were some families -- it looked like a large group was in for a weekend football game.

One night we had dinner on the terrace. This is an large outdoor space on the roof of the retail space, about 6 stories above the street level. We had a beautiful evening view of the city, up just high enough so we didn't hear any of the street noises, except one thing: Transformers 4 was filming in Chicago and at about 9:30pm, we heard about 2 minutes of continuous explosions -- it was all expected and made for a fun experience in the city!

We had breakfast both mornings in the Lobby Restaurant. It is a really nice high-end breakfast. It is as expensive as you'd expect, but we really liked the food and atmosphere and were happy to eat there both mornings.

We later figured out that the Peninsula Hotel is part of an exclusive hotel chain, based in Hong Kong. It's luxury rating is on a par with the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton... having stayed at both, I would consider the Peninsula at least as good if not better. I am so surprised I haven't been here before. I look forward to coming back.

From a logistic perspective, we valet parked and only walked or took taxis. The shopping and night activities are pretty close to the hotel. Driving and parking in Chicago is kinda of a hassle. Since the lobby is on the 6th floor, you might need help dragging your luggage from the entry to the lobby -- the eager bell staff will be happy to help.

For people who drove into the city, like us, I recommend you don't drive on Michigan Ave. The right hand south bound lane is under construction and the traffic flow is all mucked up. No doubt it full of out-of-towners, like us, who didn't know any better, and just blindly following our car GPSs.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Water Tower
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jkozik
ThePeninsulaChi, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Jkozik,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and for sharing your review. We are grateful you chose to stay with us for the first time and we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience. Thank you for the kind comments, specifically on the guest room, location, service, Shanghai Terrace and The Lobby. If there is anything I can do to assist in your reservation or with the comfort of your next stay, please feel free to contact me directly at (1-312) 573 6520 or via e-mail at RichardSorensen@peninsula.com.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have always been wanting to stay at the Peninsula property (especially the one in Kowloon) but ended up first at the Peninsula Chicago.

I arrived a bit after 11 AM. Since I only stayed there one night for business, I only had my day bag. The bell boy was attentive and grabbed it right after I stepped out of my car. I checked in (without realizing I was assigned to a room with two beds - one King would be preferred for a single traveler like me) and then walked up to my room.

Here's the rough start - I did not get my bag until almost 30 minutes later. In the meantime, there was nothing I could do. I probably should not have given away my bag with my laptop inside, however, this was also the longest wait that I have had for the luggage to arrive. I eventually had to call the service desk to check, and while I was on the phone, the bell rang. The staff came in with my bag and asked me if I needed a room tour, which I was in no mood for at that time.

Everything after that was as good as what one would expect from Peninsula: spacious room and gracious service. What was unexpected: free Wi-Fi!! Just how wonderful is that!!! (I can never understand while the luxury hotels already charge a lot on rooms can't provide free Wi-Fi.)

The bed - a bit to my surprise that it was not as "heavenly" as some other properties that I have been (Conrad or Westin for instance). The mattress (#1515, near the windows) felt a bit worn.

The swimming pool is a must-try if you are a swimmer. (That might have been why I was so cranky for my 30-min. wait of the luggage because that was very much my only chance to swim!) The super-high ceiling and floor-to ceiling windows provide a grand view while doing laps!

Room Tip: Ask for the room facing Michigan Ave if you want a good view. I did not ask but just happened to be...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ThePeninsulaChi, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear HugoEli,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago during your recent business travel and for sharing your feedback. While we are thankful for your kind comments on the service, spacious guest room and complimentary Wi-Fi, we are disappointed to hear about the delay in delivering your bag and the comfort of the mattress. We apologize and we regret the inconvenience. Additionally, we will investigate the quality of the mattress in your guest room; thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope to welcome you back again soon with a smoother check in!