“Best of the Best”

The Peninsula Chicago
Ranked #2 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many times in the past and it wasn't until I just experienced another "luxury" hotel that I felt remiss in never having reviewed this one! It truly epitomizes everything you'd expect from this type of establishment. The comfortable beds & bedding, the luxurious towels and bath, the in-room amenities, the lighting - everything has been carefully thought out with every need anticipated. Should you ever be asked for a Chicago hotel recommendation, you can rest assured that any guest who stays here will be completely satisfied.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Peninsula_CH, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Molly k M,

Thank you for visiting The Peninsula Chicago and for taking the time to share your thoughtful review. We appreciate you kind comments on the comfortable beds, amenities and guest room details. We are honored to have your recommendation, thank you for the gracious remarks.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

As a first time visitor to Chicago for a recent 3 day weekend I could not have dreamed of a nicer place to stay than The Peninsula. I've stayed at many luxury hotels and this ranks as one of the nicest on every level. The Peninsula is all about the lovely details that I so appreciate!

I stayed in a Grand Deluxe room that was beautiful, comfortable, and spacious. I had a fantastic view of Michigan Avenue (Magnificent Mile) that was always buzzing with activity as well as the outside patio below on the 7th floor that was festively decorated for autumn with hundreds of pumpkins. This room had everything that truly made this stay feel like my home away from home plus every high-tech convenience imaginable: the multifunction, bedside electronic control panel that allowed me to control the TV, radio, the ac/heat, the lights in the room, the privacy button, and housekeeping button was beyond awesome; the panel next to the door which displayed the outside temperature and humidity was extremely useful, the over sized executive desk was fully functional including a fax machine in the drawer; 42" plasma-screen TV and radio that could be moved so it was easily viewable from all parts of the room; complimentary high speed wireless and wired Internet access; dual-line telephones with voicemail, and much more. The marble bathroom with another TV and radio system that could be controlled either by the vanity or while in the tub, the comfy bathrobes and slippers, mood lighting, and Oscar de la Renta toiletries was all pure luxury!

The hotel also offers several delicious restaurants plus 24 hour room service which we took advantage of a few times and were always very pleased. On our first night we unexpectedly received a complimentary fruit platter that was really nice after a long day of traveling.

The service here is impeccable from the concierge to the doormen and valet to the housekeeping staff. The hotel's website describes it as "where far Eastern graciousness meets with Midwest hospitality"; that perfectly describes my experience here. And you absolutely cannot beat the location. It is in the heart of Chicago's Magnificent Mile conveniently located to everything fabulous in this great city.

I could go on and on about all of the special details that made my stay so memorable, but you must experience it and have the pleasure of all the little surprises that await you. No doubt this is an extravagant splurge, but not one you'll regret. Absolutely loved it!

Room Tip: Expect city noise if you're facing the street; perhaps there are other rooms that aren't fac...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Christine M

Dear Christine M,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Peninsula Chicago and for taking the time to share your generous review. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the room amenities, restaurants and 24 hour room service, and location. We also appreciate your kind remarks on the service and small touches you experienced during your stay. We are flattered by your recommendation; thank you kindly!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I just finished a three night stay at the Peninsula which was just wonderful. I booked a basic king bed room but it was extremely comfortable, attractive and functional. The staff was uniformly outstanding. Upon check in, we were a little early and the room wasn't ready because the hotel had been sold out the night before. My wife and I decided to wait for the room in the Lobby Cafe. I was called with notice that the room was ready in about half the time expected. When I told the desk person we were in the Lobby Cafe, she promptly brought our room keys to us there. Luggage was in the room when we went up.

As many have noted, the location right off of Michigan Avenue is as good as it gets.

The staff attention to detail is amazing. A book I was reading was out in my room when the evening housekeeping came through and a bookmark was left out for me (I actually needed one), a sweater I tossed on the seating in the dressing area was neatly folded, etc.

We stopped in The Bar on a busy Friday evening when the place was packed. When the Maitre'd (James) learned we were staying in the property, he immediately set about finding us comfortable space for a drink. Just first class service.

All three nights were quiet--little to no sound from the hallway or adjacent rooms. Sleeping is easy at the Peninsula.

In all, a highly enjoyable experience. I'll never stay anywhere else in Chicago. I just wish the chain had more properties in the U.S.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear CPTVSG,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago for your recent 3-day stay in Chicago. We are delighted you enjoyed your guest room, location, service and attention to detail; we are glad the bookmark was a needed surprise! Thank you for your kind comment on James and your experience in The Bar. We will be sure to recognize him for his service.

We appreciate your patience in your room not being ready at check in. We are happy to hear our front desk team readily resolved the issue but we do apologize for any inconvenience. If I may be of any assistance or if you would like to notify me personally of your planned arrival time for your next visit, I would be happy to facilitate a smoother check in. Please feel free to contact me directly prior to your next stay at (1-312) 573 6520 or via e-mail at RichardSorensen@peninsula.com.

We are honored by your remark that you only plan to stay at The Peninsula Chicago for future visits and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 8 November 2013

03 night weekend stay with wife enjoying a huge and lovely Executive Suite. Gorgeous decour...beautiful bathroom with lovely bath overlooking city,,,office had private multi-function printer fax with private no....very James Bond. Check-in was inside the suite at the office table, with a personal assistant who was very sweet and made us feel at home. Great servce all round, wi-fi access good as well. Room service fast, and good quality. Dining at the Lobby restaurant was also very good. Forgot the name of the Concierge, but she was very friendly an incredibly efficient. They also have a private chaffeur service, free-of-charge for 03 hours to do some private shopping around Chicago. Hotel location could not be better....best spot on the magnificent mile. BTW if you are staying at the Peninsula you can get some significant discounts at Bloomingales (request at store). During our stay I used a promotion where we got the third night stay free....overall rate was excellent value for money,,, but even at the normal rate for this sort of suite and level of service, it is still very much worthwhile. Will stay again anytime time I pass through Chicago....oh, almost forgot used the hotel airport limo transfer...very good. Only small negative was a slightly cheeky bell boy with a bit of an attitude when we arrived. Overall an excellent 5 star experience... Bravo Peninsula, Bravissimo!

Room Tip: Executive Suite with city view is worth splurging out for.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear BrunoBenevolo,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago for your recent stay in Chicago. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your guest room, the décor, room amenities, service, complimentary Wi-Fi and printer/scanner/fax, and service. We appreciate your kind comments on the quality and timeliness of the room service and that the Concierge was helpful and efficient. We hope you enjoyed the complimentary, chauffeured MINI Cooper service for all of our suite guests as well!

Although we are grateful for your review, we are concerned by your mention of a poor attitude by a bell man when you arrived. We apologize, this is inappropriate. I would like for the opportunity to speak with you directly to learn more about this occurrence so we can correct among our staff. I hope you will please contact me at (1-312) 573 6520 or via e-mail at RichardSorensen@peninsula.com.

We are honored by your remark that you plan to stay at The Peninsula Chicago for all future visits and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Recently stayed with my wife for the weekend. Great experience. Rooms are very nice. Staff is amazing. When they cleaned our room they wrapped our iPhone charges with Peninsula ribbons. Best place to stay in chicago. Location is great.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Donald B,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Peninsula Chicago. We are delighted to hear you and your wife enjoyed your visit! We are flattered by your gracious review and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We truly enjoy the hotel each and every time. Excellence personified. We particularly like the bar and swimming pool. The front desk people are very helpful and professional. Never a wait. The food is also very good.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Peninsula_CH, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Richard B,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and for sharing your thoughtful review. We appreciate your gracious comments on the front desk staff, The Bar, the indoor swimming pool and the dining options. We are delighted you have enjoyed all of your stays at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

At first I thought I would not have to review this great hotel again having reviewed it in the past. However, they do give you great service that you want the hotel to know that they are doing a great job.They are most helpful and most pleasant from the doormen to the front desk. The rooms are as comfortable as ever. Thus even if business was the main purpose of this trip, it made it feel like a mini vacation.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Jmrmd,

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago and for sharing another thoughtful review. We appreciate your gracious comments on our service and the comfortable guest rooms. We are delighted to learn your business trip could feel like a mini vacation and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!