“Getaway in the city” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Skokie
“Getaway in the city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed at the Peninsula for mini getaways. This time I went by myself to recharge. The hotel is stunning. The concierge gave me good shopping recommendations. The people at the front desk were very nice too. The room I had faced Michigan avenue. I feel like the room and pool that I used need to be refurbished. I loved that they had water and fresh fruit outside of the pool area. I didn't think the complimentary coffee in the lobby was that good. I thought the location was great. A few blocks away from whole foods and wonderful boutiques. Had a very relaxing stay. Was a bit underwhelmed with the bath and bath products.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Peninsula_CH, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Dahl18,

We are always happy to hear from returning guest, and I am glad to know that you enjoyed our service, your room and its view of Michigan Avenue, the pool and of course the shopping. We are sorry that our “complimentary coffee” was not to your liking. Thank for your honest feedback, and I have shared your comments with our Director of Food and Beverage.

Furthermore, you mentioned that “the room and pool….need to be refurbished.” We believe it is important to make updates and are continuously doing soft renovations and improvements to our facilities and guestrooms.

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago as your place to stay and for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel has the most comfortable beds! The room is spacious, elegantly appointed, and extremely clean and well kept. The bathroom is amazing with every detail laid out perfectly. We visited the spa and I HIGHLY recommend Mario if you plan on getting a massage. I have been back again to the spa and request him each time. Perfect location in addition to be an exceptional hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed with my 2 daughters for weekend. This was our first stay. Usual prefer Ritz but was so pleasantly surprised. Room was very large, comfortable and bathroom was a wonderful use of space. Staff was excellent, helpful, and smiling. Only glitch was toilet. Had problems the entire time despite service calls. Water running continuously and never seemed to get fixed despite service calls. Our stay ended in a catastrophic overflow. Our clothing got wet, couldn't get dressed, almost missed our flight due to this mini disaster. Threw wet clothes into suite case No one seemed to care and basically were on our own. Hate that our beautiful stay ended on that note. Need to follow through to the end. Not sure if I will stay again.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank kjp_3
Dear kjp_3,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Peninsula Chicago. We are always pleased to welcome first time guests. I am glad to read that you and your daughters enjoyed your sizeable guestroom and found our staff helpful and pleasant. In regards to the unfortunate occurrence with the toilet, I wish to extend my sincere apologies. I truly understand how this really diminished your experience with us.

We strive to provide the finest possible service, but on this occasion it seems there has been an oversight for which there is no excuse. Our housekeeping supervisors conduct an inspection of the operation of all components, fixtures and pluming in each guestroom. If you are willing, I would like to know which guestroom you were in so we can ensure that this does not occur again. I would greatly appreciate it if you can call me 312-573-6520. I look forward to speaking with you and hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you once again to The Peninsula Chicago.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I've always been a Ritz fan, but they have a competitor.
I really enjoyed our stay at The Peninsula. It is a elegant and has an overall good quality feeling about it. We had issues, but aside from them, it ranks up there with The Ritz. I loved the feel of our room. Large, warm, and quiet!
This hotel is so so quiet. I like not hearing ice machines and closing doors. The room was spacious and felt good. I like being able to dim all lights in room with the touch of a button. Bathroom was large and had good quality fixtures. We did have AC and plumbing issues. First two nights the room was cold during day and hot at night. There is a sensor in the system that maint can unplug to fix this...if you like a cold room, have it done at check-in. Shower wouldn't drain and that was resolved on 3rd day but it still flooded the entrance floor each time we showered. Toilet overflow was an issue and it was resolved. These things happen, but should be found by hotel and not guests. When I called, they immediately fixed everything as expected. It's just hard to report the issues because we don't like to stay somewhere just to have workers in our room.
Aside from the issues. I must say the hotel staff did their best to make us comfortable, greet us each day, and I really appreciate that. I'll go back in the next few months and follow- up my review.
Location is perfect. Seemed we were anywhere we wanted to be in 5-10 min walk or a $6 cab fare.

If you've never stayed but are considering, think you'll be impressed.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank spiderelliot
Dear Tom E.,

Thank you for sharing your review of your stay with us. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the feel, size and atmosphere of your guestroom and all of its amenities; as well as our convenient location to most of the city’s popular sites. However, I am troubled to learn of all the issues you had with your guestroom. I agree that these problems should have been caught by our staff and not our guests. We appreciate your honest feedback, as it gives us insight in the areas we need to improve. If you are willing, I would like to hear in more detail about your stay. I can be reached either by email at richardsorensen@peninsula.com or telephone at 312-573-6576.

We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you again in the near future.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

And have to tell, hard to impress. However, when I got in the shower and was blown away by the water pressure, I was in love. Has all of the other things it should, staff, beauty, luxury. Attention to details seems higher here. I have two line phone in my room, my own fax machine and number to use, they saw we had wine with us and brought us a wine fridge to our room.

Room Tip: We were in 1533, I care more about quiet which it was, don't know if it had a good view or not
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Dear westlinn,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom and all of its features, and that our staff provided you with a wine fridge for your wine during your stay. We are always happy to hear from satisfied guests. It is comments like yours that encourage our employees to do their utmost for our guests.

We wish to thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We hope to welcome you back for another great Peninsula experience.

new orleans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

What a wonderful hotel! Got a great deal through American Express, three wonderful nights at the Peninsula. Great service, the concierge Gary (I think, day time duty) was so helpful with my needs. He booked me a chiropractor on Saturday morning for 9 am within a four block walk of the hotel and did this in 30 minutes--what a life saver he was. The bar was lovely, service was five star and the surprise---the drinks were reasonably priced. We have eaten before at Shanghai Terrace in the past, but didn't get the chance on this trip but was wonderful on our last visit. The room was so comfortable and our housekeepers were never seen yet the room was always put back in order no matter what the time of day. The only not five star area which does not make me remove my five stars as it could have been an off morning---the coffee shop/restaurant on the corner of the hotel which I assume is part of the hotel wasn't as "on it" as the rest of the hotel--they were friendly, coffee and breakfast was good, but very very slow service (it took over five minutes to get a cup of coffee and water after the server took our order--no special orders, just coffee and water. Rounding things out....the front desk helpful, doormen so professional, spa staff friendly and helpful. What more can I say....we will be back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear davidnola,

We truly appreciate your kind comments about our service, amenities, The Bar and Spa. We are especially delighted that you mentioned Gary and how “helpful” he was. We are always happy to hear from satisfied guests, but its comments like yours, that encourage our employees to do their utmost.

We are sorry for the delay in service during breakfast. Your feedback is very important to us as it helps us improve our services and guest experience. Your comments have been discussed with our Director of Food and Beverage for corrective measures.

Thank you for choosing The Peninsula Chicago, and we look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back again soon!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at the Peninsula last month. It is truly a five star, top luxury hotel. We found all of the staff to be very nice, lobby to be beautiful and we loved our room which was luxurious yet contemporary. It had great views of both Michigan Avenue and the Lake.

We had a wonderful dinner at the Shanghai Terrace (see separate review) and thought our breakfast was good too. We met a friend at the bar and generally liked its living room feel although it was a little dark.

Overall we had a great stay and would recommend this property strongly and look forward to returning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Scott J
Peninsula_CH, Manager at The Peninsula Chicago, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Scott J,

Thank you for visiting The Peninsula Chicago and sharing your gracious comments. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit, your guestroom, and our service. I am also glad you had a wonderful experience at Shanghai Terrace and The Bar.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!