“Not my cup of tea.”

The Peninsula Chicago
Ranked #2 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 8 January 2009

My family and I visited the Chicago for a few days after Christmas, and for the most part we enjoyed our stay at the Peninsula.

Upon entering the hotel, you take an elevator to get to the lobby and then another elevator to get to your room. The elevators were quick, but give yourself a few extra minutes to get downstairs if ever in a hurry while staying there.

Our room was on the 11th floor and had excellent views. My family of four shared two bedrooms which were separated by a parlor that had a desk, couches, TV, and a half bathroom. The bedrooms were average in size and décor and generally underwhelming. The bathrooms however, were fabulous. There was a television above the bathtub, and ample space to get ready. The hotel supplied Molton Brown products as well as toothbrushes, razors, sewing and nail kits, etc.

Beds were comfy, and free bottles of water piled up after turndown.

My major qualm with our room was the technology. I was under the impression that everything would be very high tech and sleek and it just wasn’t. The bulky control centers were confusing and outdated. And the plasma TV and DVD players I thought I was getting were clunky and old. I think its time for an upgrade.

The service was mediocre at best. While everybody was polite, I felt as if the Peninsula’s employees were only greeting me because it was their job to do so, not because they cared about me. Several times I had to be the person who initiated the “hello” or “good morning.” I don’t expect to be waited on hand and foot, but the occasional feeling that the concierge or front desk or dining room servers were happy to see me would have been nice.

In terms of hotel food, the room service was average. My family ordered some snacks one day and nothing was exceptional. Breakfast at Avenues was delicious, but nothing I couldn’t get at any other fine hotel. I do not recommend tea. The tea was ok, but the food was horrible. I don’t think I enjoyed a single thing, and there was plenty to choose from.

The thing that I liked best about the hotel was its location. All of Chicago’s highlights, including the shops on Michigan Avenue and Navy Pier, are just a walk away. There’s plenty to do, see, buy and eat, and no need for a taxi or rental car to get there.

I absolutely love Chicago, and its hard to fault the Peninsula for making my time less fun filled, because it most certainly was. However, next time, I’ll opt to stay at the Drake or the W Lakeshore, where I can get a little more bang for my buck—and a little personality.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank courtney7888

Reviewed 13 October 2008

I stayed at the Peninsula Chicago for two nights in October 2008 while on business. Had a room on the 15th Floor with views of the Water Works. Everything about this property was wonderful. The lobby and conference areas were beautiful and put together really well to host a large event with multiple meetings. The quality and selection of food made attending meetings a real treat, and room service, salads and burgers at least, were great. Now for the room: it was huge! The bathroom had its own couch! Excellent desk and business set-up with extremely comfortable bed. I don't even think I used every piece of furniture in the room it was so big! Can't beat the location either - you're literally steps away from Michigan Avenue shopping and world famous pizza.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 September 2008

We live in Chicago and when we need a little pampering and to just get away..we head to the Peninsula. It is truly an amazing experience and worth every penny.

The rooms are so comfortable and the contemporary design is clean and calming.

The staff goes above and beyond every step of the way.

Its smack dab in the middle of all the action in the city so you are close to everything.

You cannot go wrong here...book your stay today!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chitownmom67
Reviewed 18 August 2008

I stayed here for a week while in town visiting family and friends. I've stayed at 5 of the 8 Peninsula locations and although this is certainly one of the more luxurious properties they have, the service lags behind the other locations.
Now by no means is the service "bad;" just not up to par with it's sister hotels.
At the other Peninsula locations, I would consider the service (relative to other hotels, not just the Peninsula Chicago) above and beyond; over-the-top; and sublime. At the Peninsula Chicago, I would consider the service as above average.
For instance, at other Peninsula locations, they welcome you with a welcome drink in the room and possibly a light snack. No such greeting at the Chicago Peninsula.
At other Peninsula locations, when the Spa was booked, the receptionist offered to either call me if there were any cancellations and even recommended some local Spas - not at the Peninsula Chicago.
The rooms are great, the location couldn't be better and the restaurants are top-notch. My friends that live in the neighborhood all love The Bar at the Peninsula as well as the Chocolate Bar they have every Friday and Saturday.
It's a wonderful hotel... the service just isn't over-the-top as I've come to expect having stayed at most of their other properties.
The hotel accommodations are important but not as much as customer service. At the 5-star level one expects a high level of customer service. The Peninsula Chicago's customer service is attentive at best, mildly impersonal at worst.
The Park Hyatt next door isn't quite as luxurious (a little too contemporary for my taste) however their service was surprisingly helpful. If location and a high level of customer service is all you desire, you may want to look into the Park Hyatt Chicago; for shorter trips, I know I will.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank cubswincubswin
Reviewed 10 August 2008

Fabulous. We stayed with our two toddlers at the last minute for one night due to an airline mishap. Our son has severe food allergies and they were very accommodating of his needs. The service was excellent, the food was excellent, the rooms are delightful, and the bed is exceedingly comfortable. Expensive, but definitely an example of 'you get what you pay for.'

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank jj1972Texas
Reviewed 8 August 2008

We had a great time staying at this hotel. From the concierge service to the Laundry service to management, everybody is just so kind and wonderful. Everything was perfectly timely and arranged in detailed to please the customers. The Hotel has an excelent Buffet that serves breakfast and lunch. What a variety of delicious food! Love it!

We had a problem with our Limo service which had a miss-schedule out pick up time and the hotel manager called the company and had limo picked us up in 25 minutes. Just in time so we did not missed the fly back home.

We would move to live at the Peninsula if we could afford it all year round!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aflores02
Reviewed 6 August 2008

Stayed on a corporate rate for business. I was impressed with everything the hotel had to offer, especially the pool. The crowd was a little old for my tast - looked like a lot of bankers. I did enjoy watching the working girls pick up on them in the lobby bar.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business