“Best in Chicago, by far!”

The Peninsula Chicago
Ranked #3 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Edina, Minnesota
“Best in Chicago, by far!”
Reviewed 25 September 2005

There is no doubt that this is the best hotel in Chicago. We have stayed at the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Drake, Whitehall, Hyatt, and others, and none of them have come close to the quality of the Peninsula. The location is perfect, right next to the Water Tower - all the great shopping and restaurants in walking distance, and the "L" two blocks away. The hotel is new (I think it opened in 2002), so all the features and amenities are up to date. The bedside control panels allows one to turn on/off all the lights, control the radio and TV, adjust the thermostat, check the outside temperature, and turn on the do not disturb light outside your room. The beds are as good as the famously wonderful beds at the Four Seasons. The baths are big with double sinks, separate tub (with a TV) and shower, big thick towels, and the toilet is behind a separate door. I just stayed there for my birthday and the hotel gave me a complimentary bottle of French Champagne and a chocolate cake as an arrival gift. The double corner exective suite is spacious and full of light, and at $535/night is less than similar (but not as nice) type rooms at the Four Seasons and Ritz (I think the standard rooms start at around $350). The restaurants are wonderful. Avenues is one of the best restaurants in town, the beautiful lobby restaurant with 2 story wall of windows is great for lunch, tea or cocktails, and the deli/wine bar on the ground floor makes for a great lunch/brunch (we didn't get to the Shanghai Terrace). The service is absolutely wonderful all around. The concierge are friendly, very knowledgable, and helpful. They of course have slippers and robes. The rooms have stereo, DVD player, VCR, fax, and high speed internet access. I noted no negatives (allowing dogs is a major plus in my book); you just can't beat this place!

• Stayed September 2005
19 Thank drvalgemae

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 August 2005

Made reservation over the 1-800 number, which I was told came out of Hong Kong, my fault I didn't ask if hotel was pet friendly until we are at hotel dining with pets, and I mean pets everywhere, and my husband is allergic, we asked at front desk if they had rooms that had not had pets in them NO! I LOVE animals but come on you know most sleep with there owners and I myself at the rate of 1300 for the room said no thanks and drove back home to Indy. The bellman said most hotels are on Michigan Avenue.

• Stayed August 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 July 2005

It lived up to all my expectations of a Peninsula hotel (this being my first one). The decor, restaurants, rooms and bathrooms were top notch - although service was not up to the standards of a Four Seasons. The cigar bar is a trendy spot on a Friday night, the lap pool and outdoor terace gives the feel of an urban resort. All in all made my first trip to Chicago a memorable one!

• Stayed July 2005
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 July 2005

Well - what can you say about one of the elite 35 five star hotels in the country? Besides being EXPENSIVE (Room - minibar-room service), It is a sublime experience - right down to the slippers. Most people that stay here are used to being pampered and the Peninsula does not disaapoint.

However - I was very disappointed with the valet service - insomuch to the point of being downright cranky about it. I called down from my room prior to checkout at about 8:30 am and asked for my car to be sent. At 9:15, I was still waiting for it with a 10:00 am flight from Midway (needless to say I missed my flight). The gentleman at the valet podium was very apologetic and trying hard to compensate with extremely charming conversation but I was upset, nonetheless. My car did not arrive until 9:30 - ONE WHOLE HOUR after I called for it. This is very bad. They explained that they were putting air in my tire - which is very nice but it had been there overnight and had plenty of time to do so without jeopardizing my flight.

Will I stay at the Peninsula again? Ye, of course. It is one of only two five star hotels in Chicago. The other being the Four Seasons. And even though the Peninsula is more expensive (about $100.00 more per night for a standard room), it is less "snobby" (my opinion), less "put on" with all the amenties and ambience expected for the $600.00 per night plus room rate.

The room service menu is good but a little to PanAsian. Could do with a little more versatility, though there are a few "midwestern" options. The bed and linens - excellent - better than home. I slept like a baby. The bathroom is fantastic - way better than the Four Seasons.

Just take my advice and make sure they bring you your car on time! I luckily was able to catch another flight 30 minutes later and it didn't really affect my trip - but if I had bee going somewhere else it could have been a real issue.

• Stayed June 2005, travelled on business
38 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Canton, MI
Reviewed 19 July 2005

My husband, 10 year old daughter, and I just returned from a weekend at the Chicago Penninsula Hotel. It was great! The hotel was beautiful and the staff was wonderful! While we were checking in, my daughter was playing with her 2 American Girl dolls. One of the people at check in noticed and sent up 2 little bathrobes and 2 little beds for the dolls without us even asking for it or being told about it! Also, after returning from dinner that night, we were pleasantly surprised to find a note not only welcoming us, but cookies, gummie bears for my daughter, and a fruit tray for us! We loved the hotel also because of all the little details to attention. We tried the chocolate buffet one night as well...which is not to be missed! It was excellent! We stayed in a Grand Deluxe king room. It was a very nice room..the only thing is, it is a little tightly spaced, but not too uncomfortable. I also tried the spa, and it was very nice as well. The exercise room and pool area had a very open feel too it. Overall, it was a great hotel and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2005
54 Thank beach47
Reviewed 18 July 2005

We stayed here for two nights-our wedding night and one more. You would have to pry us out of the room because we didn't want to leave! We were pleased to find an upgrade, and waiting for us in the room was champagne, chocolate-covered strawberries, and Blackout cake we requested from the Cheesecake Factory (that we were not charged for!). The room itself was stunning and we couldn't believe the door bell, lighting system, and master bath, bigger than our livingroom in our apartment. The concierge was able to make us a dinner reservation (and when we arrived, I overheard them on the phone saying they were booked) and arrange a car to take us home, which ended up being a stretch limousine. Everything about the hotel was classy and wonderful, yet warm and friendly. We are hoping to save up enough to make it back next year!

• Stayed May 2005